The Joker Thread - Part 1

While not officially confirmed, it seems reasonable to assume that Jared Leto will be popping up in Affleck's solo film in some capacity.

What will his involvement be? Will he be the main villain or part of an ensemble? Will Affleck keep the tats and grillz? And after seeing Suicide Squad, are you even interested in seeing him again? Let's speculate wildly!

While not officially confirmed, it seems reasonable to assume that Jared Leto will be popping up in Affleck's solo film in some capacity.

What will his involvement be? Will he be the main villain or part of an ensemble? Will Affleck keep the tats and grillz? And after seeing Suicide Squad, are you even interested in seeing him again? Let's speculate wildly!
I want to see if it still happens first.

The Joker look isn't that much of a problem. Its more the style of clothes.

Keep him in the black Tux or classic purple outfit.

A recast and restyle is definitely in order.

And his tattoos.

Oh and the way he talks.

And the way he acts.

I think Jared Leto's Joker is salvageable with a better script and direction. It seems like Leto just isn't a good improviser and needs a solid structure/sandbox to play in. Hopefully whoever takes over for Ben Affleck can provide that for him. They could write Joker as changing his look/style in a "this town deserves a better class of criminal" style speech and wanting to get "back to basics."

I disagree that Jared is a bad actor. He gave a great performance in Dallas Buyers Club. And got himself an Oscar for it. I also enjoyed him in Requiem For A Dream.

I have no issues with this iteration of the Joker aside from the tattoos.

I liked Leto's Joker so I hope to see more of him. I also highly doubt they would recast or give us another version of The Joker so soon. I see a lot of potential, but I would not mind some minor changes. Depending on who takes the reigns as director, I just hope whoever that is has a very clear understanding and affection for the character

I think Jared Leto's Joker is salvageable with a better script and direction

That's my opinion, too. In spite of how horrible Letoker was, he can be saved with a complete revamp in visual design, writing, and direction.

Leto's a great actor. He has it in him to be a great Joker if they just steer him right.

I think Jared Leto's Joker is salvageable with a better script and direction. It seems like Leto just isn't a good improviser and needs a solid structure/sandbox to play in. Hopefully whoever takes over for Ben Affleck can provide that for him. They could write Joker as changing his look/style in a "this town deserves a better class of criminal" style speech and wanting to get "back to basics."

This.

The clothes aren't much of a problem, either. Or imo, at least. The one influence that needs to go is the Scarface-esque open shirt. It just doesn't work.

But either way, I definitely agree he should largely be seen in either a black tux or a classic purple suit. Or a purple tux.:cwink:

That's my opinion, too. In spite of how horrible Letoker was, he can be saved with a complete revamp in visual design, writing, and direction.

Leto's a great actor. He has it in him to be a great Joker if they just steer him right.

It also boggles my mind that he didn't use this laugh in his rendition of the Joker, it's perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3OlaG9l9U

Perfect example of his lack of improv skills (for the Joker at least) is this Joker promo where they film an actor in front of a green screen and tell them to do something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3OlaG9l9U

First 5 seconds or so he looks like he has no idea what to do and just does a "snarl" at the last minute.

That was ok for the promo...didn't think that would be the limit in the film.

Odd thing is he seems really fun/charismatic in the behind the scenes clips.

So I think the issue is he has trouble balancing the fun, but intimidating nature of the Joker.

I do think he can get better with a solid foundation and clear direction.

That was ok for the promo...didn't think that would be the limit in the film.

Odd thing is he seems really fun/charismatic in the behind the scenes clips.

So I think the issue is he has trouble balancing the fun, but intimidating nature of the Joker.

I do think he can get better with a solid foundation and clear direction.

Yeah, I mean a promo is different than a film, but the vacant look in his eyes that they freeze frame on just makes him look confused rather than menacing. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during production and see how David Ayer actually directed him. Did he just give him the script and let him go wild? Or were some of the more "unsavory" elements of Jared's performance (the purring, etc.) David or Jared's idea?

Perfect example of his lack of improv skills (for the Joker at least) is this Joker promo where they film an actor in front of a green screen and tell them to do something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3OlaG9l9U

First 5 seconds or so he looks like he has no idea what to do and just does a "snarl" at the last minute.

I always thought him cracking his neck was a nice touch, almost as a way of showing the Joker as possibly being quick tempered and even quicker to act.

As for the purring, I'm sure that was Jared's idea. I remember him saying he watched a lot of wildlife/lion based videos because he wanted to add a slight animalistic quality to the Joker.

Why does that make it count suddenly? The version people have a problem with is the theatrical version.

Bit of a blanket statement there. Plenty of people have issues with the character in both versions of the film.

I'm just saying that you cannot argue that assessing the extended cut as its own film "doesn't count" simply because many critics of the film didn't see that version. It exists, it's an actual film.

It may not improve the film's critical reception, but it can garner it's own reception as a seperate film. And therefore, does very much count as a piece of art.

I'm not sure what your stance is here Guard. You are a very smart and intelligent poster here. The problem people have is Joker's depiction in the theatrical cut. You can't deflect and excuse the way the character was executed by pointing out the extended cut as some piece of redemption.

You can certainly recognize the issues in the theatrical cut and suggest that there is a much better portrayal in the extended cut, which is a completely different movie.

Just like in The Avengers, there was this great three-minute scene with Captain America sort of setting the tone for him being the man out of time and his sense of loneliness and isolation in the modern world. It's fantastic work. Evans puts in a great performance in it. But we never saw that scene in the theatrical cut. All we can do is lament that it didn't get put in.

Which is unfortunate, but this is not just like that at all. The scenes that improve the extended cut actually exist within a film...in the extended cut of SUICIDE SQUAD.

I liked his style of dress, especially that cool purple jacket, I just wish I could have seen it as part of a complete outfit.

suicide squad success is because of him & Harley......WB are aware of that & they will put him on a film to clash with Batfleck, its inevitable

yall people crazy talkin about re casting him & Leto is a bad actor , he's a massive cash cow

his scene with harley are magical, he's a great joker

The clothes aren't much of a problem, either. Or imo, at least. The one influence that needs to go is the Scarface-esque open shirt. It just doesn't work.

But either way, I definitely agree he should largely be seen in either a black tux or a classic purple suit. Or a purple tux.:cwink:

Agreed on the open shirt Scarface look not working. There's some scenes in the film where I don't like the way he talks, but other scenes I do. Overall he looks good to me. The hair is great and the tattoos don't bother me.

The grillz I can do with or without, if he didn't have them I'd be even happier. But him having them also doesn't bother me much. His look I loved the most was the black tux.

Bit of a blanket statement there. Plenty of people have issues with the character in both versions of the film.

I'm just saying that you cannot argue that assessing the extended cut as its own film "doesn't count" simply because many critics of the film didn't see that version. It exists, it's an actual film.

It may not improve the film's critical reception, but it can garner it's own reception as a seperate film. And therefore, does very much count as a piece of art.

You can certainly recognize the issues in the theatrical cut and suggest that there is a much better portrayal in the extended cut, which is a completely different movie.

Which is unfortunate, but this is not just like that at all. The scenes that improve the extended cut actually exist within a film...in the extended cut of SUICIDE SQUAD.

Well said.

Agreed on the open shirt Scarface look not working. There's some scenes in the film where I don't like the way he talks, but other scenes I do. Overall he looks good to me. The hair is great and the tattoos don't bother me.

The grillz I can do with or without, if he didn't have them I'd be even happier. But him having them also doesn't bother me much. His look I loved the most was the black tux.

I've always liked the grillz primarily because they help to accentuate Leto's smile and make it more memorable. They were his (Leto's) idea and I believe that's exactly why he chose to wear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"