Movies You've Rewatched and Found New Appreciation For

knowsbleed

Avenger
Reaction score
I cannot count the number of movies I've watched. Of those I've watched, many were forgotten almost instantly once the credits started rolling and I either left the theater or stopped the DVD. Other movies have that presence/stigma that just infects your mind for hours/days/weeks... thinking about it and becoming a part of you. You find a way to relate to the story/characters and you perhaps see a part of yourself in whatever scenario the movie played out for you. Perhaps you wanted to become part of the movie itself, I know I did when I was a child watching The Goonies.

But this thread is about the previously mentioned movies that you might have seen but they did not leave an impression on you after you've seen it the first time. I've come to the conclusion that if I watch a movie in a theater or with my friends/family, that I have a hard time finding subtle nuances that can make a movie... wonderful. A particular expression on an actor's face denoting a huge range emotion in one look, the way the camera is moved during a scene to show many little things that I have missed upon first viewing, things of that nature. Often bringing me to tears from the human emotion displayed on the screen. Who cares, I'm by myself.

So, I often try to rewatch movies by myself... to try to find these things that I can find an emotional attachment to... and I've often found a new appreciation for films I've seen before.

Now, don't laugh, this movie really was enjoyable when I watched it by myself and I found myself really feeling for the character's struggles. Sylvester Stallone's Daylight. Sylvester Stallone was made for these types of movies and a few years back, I found myself watching this for some strange reason... and it just hit home for me. It is a very forgettable movie otherwise... but that one time I watched it by myself, I connected to the characters struggles and the emotion I felt from watching this normally subpar movie, almost overcame me.

I also rewatched The Last Samurai today. Now this movie is nowhere near being close to an underrated movie... it is normally praised by most and is a beautiful movie. I enjoyed it the first time I watched it... but rewatching it today on this dreary Saturday afternoon, Ken Watanabe's performance really impacted me. The way he interacts with other characters, slight turns of his head, expressions on his face... they are genius... the man is a genius. He truly deserved that Oscar nom nod and I'm am saddened that he did not win. This movie has joined my rewatched/new appreciation list.

Yours?

Blade Runner
To kill a Mockingbird
12 Angry Men
Gandhi
Tropic Thunder ( found it very meh the first time i saw it and when it appeared on cable here on holland early this year i saw it like 8 times in a month and each time loved it more and more)

Titanic.
I like many other people thought it was overrated. Saw it again for a year ago maybe for the first time in many years. I know consider it one of my fav movies.

Blade Runner

I'm going to have to give this a rewatch... when I'm caffeined out. I watched it for the first time a few months ago and wow, was I underwhelmed... I fell asleep.

Tropic Thunder ( found it very meh the first time i saw it and when it appeared on cable here on holland early this year i saw it like 8 times in a month and each time loved it more and more)

The first time I watched Tropic Thunder, I watched it and did not laugh once. I rewatched it several times afterwards and found it more and more amusing with each viewing. RDJ's performance was filled with so much fun and you can tell the actors had a lot of fun in their roles. RDJ's withheld laugh during one of the scenes with the ox (I think it's an ox) really amuses me.

The Searchers . I watched some of it when I was younger and couldn't stand John Wayne. Now I think he was great in that role and might try to watch more of the older westerns

The Prestige
-It went from a movie that I thought was nothing special to what I now think is one of the greatest movies ever filmed.

Fight Club
-The first time I watched it I was really dissapointed since I was so in love with the book, but now I love it.

Across the Universe
-Thought it was really boring first time. Second time I saw it as a work of art.

Last edited:
Daredevil
Drop Dead Fred
Yeah Daredevil gets blacklisted I think just because Ben Affleck's in it, it's actually a very good dark superhero film, hell I even bought both regular and director's cut on DVD for cheap.

Great idea for a thread. Off the top of my head...

I saw most of these at a really young age, and didn't get them at all.

Fight Club
Step Brothers
Through a Glass Darkly
Eraserhead
Alien 3
Nashville
After Hours
Pulp Fiction
Pan's Labyrinth
Rules of the Game
Apocalypse Now
The Shining
Big Lebowski
Blade Runner
Cache
8 1/2
Night of the Hunter
Dr. Strangelove
Fargo
Goodfellas
Metropolis

Ang Lee's Hulk - took me seven damn years and four or five viewings to actually get what Lee was doing. Yes, it is the most underrated comic book film out there.

Blade Runner - I still need to watch it again. I still don't love it as much as others do, but I can see why people love it. It is great. One of the deepest films out there. But I need to watch the Final Cut again.

In a way, Predator 2 was better than I remember it to be.

2001 - Saw it for the first time. I was into it in ways but not completely. I watched it months later and was blown away.

Tropic Thunder

- I remember going to the theater and only laughing at one part. I rewatched a few months back and the movie is hilarious. And a few parts that I found funny this time around had to do with Robert Downey Jr.'s mannerisms like holding back from laughing (like knowsbleed said).

Ocean's Twelve

- I couldn't stand the movie the first time I watched it, mostly because I expected it to follow a formula similar to Ocean's Eleven (Ocean's Thirteen eventually did this). About two years ago, I sat down and rewatched it. It is actually a good movie. It's not as "fun" as the other two, but other than the Julia Roberts/Bruce Willis bit, it's good.

the first time i saw iron man 2 i was left quite meh. I saw it again on wednesday and liked it far far more. almost but not quite as much as the first.

The first time I saw the Aranofsky's The Fountain I was just like .... I watched again after buying it for a doller from my towns rental shop that was shutting down and though it is still a very strange film, I like it a lot more and think I get themes a lot more, though I'm probably still far off.

I forgot to add Bryan Singer's X-Men films. I liked them when I was younger but I didn't love them like I do now. I mean by God, X2 was the first comic book film sequel that was better than its predecessor.

I revisited both of them and I watched them numerous times in a matter of days. They couldn't get out of my head. I need to get them on Blu Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"