Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

I hope that the film is exactly as long as they need it to be to best tell their story. I'm baffled that the rumored length of movies is discussed as much as it sometimes is (like, with Avengers: Endgame)
A good Movie is exactly as long as it needs to be, a bad movie can never be too short

It is really a problem that some fans may not consider him a villain? Maybe such a reaction is more of a reflection on how powerful writing can be if it mimics the actions of actual humans close enough, rather than an indication of a poor portrayal. Maybe it's all just a symptom of the audience's ability to forgive certain actions if a "human" reason is given for them.

I consider it a problem, because I do not think you can separate the quality of a movie ( or other work of art ) from its content and message. A movie can be bad because its poorly crafted. . . but it can also be bad because its extremely well crafted, to deliver a terrible message. Its just a different type of bad. 'Hero' is an amazing looking wuxia film. . . but the core message of its story is pretty dire, and no amount of aesthetics in cinematography can change this.

I consider it a problem, because I do not think you can separate the quality of a movie ( or other work of art ) from its content and message. A movie can be bad because its poorly crafted. . . but it can also be bad because its extremely well crafted, to deliver a terrible message. Its just a different type of bad. 'Hero' is an amazing looking wuxia film. . . but the core message of its story is pretty dire, and no amount of aesthetics in cinematography can change this.

I suppose I don't see why this approach separates a work from its content and message. By showing us his journey to being bad, they aren't removing the end-product of him being bad. Also, sympathizing with his early struggles doesn't mean he's less of a villain in the end either; it simply means that other humans sympathize with the fact that at one point in time, he felt devastating human emotions like the average person might.

It's entirely possible that they might do some version of the unreliable narrator, too...he may not see himself as a villain even though his actions are immoral.

It's entirely possible that they might do some version of the unreliable narrator, too...he may not see himself as a villain even though his actions are immoral.

I’m really, really hoping this is the case. The unreliable narrator absolutely suits The Joker. I’d love to see the notion explored properly in this movie. I want to be surprised and shocked by this film, and having your expectations cut right out from under you by an unreliable narrator is surely the biggest Joke that could be played on us in the audience.

Incredible!

People commenting over twitter Joker's 1st trailer just became DC's most well received in the history of the company, with more than 500 thousand likes and 15 million views in 24 hours, this only in Warner Bros official channel in YouTube!

And its not a cringe fest of lame jokes and comedy :atp::atp::atp:

Joker is a good villain, but I don’t find him interesting enough to warrant his own film. Joker seems to work best when he’s being opposed by Batman or another superhero at least. I’m not too big a fan of delving into the Joker’s background either, the Killing Joke made the multiple choice past for good reason.
I felt pretty much the same until I saw the trailer.

I can only assume this Joker film will be an attempt to cash in on the success of the Venom movie, which was not good itself. Joker is a good villain, but I don’t find him interesting enough to warrant his own film. Joker seems to work best when he’s being opposed by Batman or another superhero at least. I’m not too big a fan of delving into the Joker’s background either, the Killing Joke made the multiple choice past for good reason.
Kinda impossible since they finished filming before Venom was in theaters.

I saw the trailer myself, and while I think Joaquin Phoenix’s acting will be a positive, the movie around him will fall apart. I’m still not sold on the whole sad clown scenario they’re going for and explicitly naming the Joker. Not only that, but they seem to be copying the Killing Joke failed comedian angle, which was done to absolute death in the 90s.

Additionally, I’m keeping in mind who is heading this operation. Shazam may have been a home run, but Warner Bros has a lot more to do if they are to salvage this mess.

I hate to be the negative Nancy, but I lack the belief in any of these companies to actually produce a good film.
People need to mentally prepare that there's still high possibility the film will be incoherent miserable trash.

I think while it is possible, the chances still are it's gonna be great and Phoenix will almost certainly deliver a brilliant performance .
I'm not so sure. It's a new territory and chance of failure is much higher. Plus we should remember that WB know how to make a trailer better than anyone else in the business.

Once you get the past the Jino thing, the only thing that should give you pause is how they supposedly rewrote the whole thing on the fly. I understand movies get rewritten like three times during their production, but it makes you wonder.

qikk7YG.png

Anytime someone brings up how this movie was being rewritten on set very often, it makes me think of Inland Empire. David Lynch would literally write scenes for the movie the night before filming. In the end that movie didn't make much sense. But on the other hand, I don't think Todd Phillips will be setting up a poster on a Los Angeles street urging the academy to nominate Joaquin Phoenix for best acting.
david-lynch-cow-laura-dern-oscar-inland-empire.jpg

I have heard dozens of interviews with actors who have said similar stuff. Until we know what the original script was like and what they changed we dont know the extent of what they are discussing when they made changes.

Once you get the past the Jino thing, the only thing that should give you pause is how they supposedly rewrote the whole thing on the fly. I understand movies get rewritten like three times during their production, but it makes you wonder.

Jaws, Iron Man, Sunset Boulevard... welcome to moviemaking.

Nice!

"The "buzz" generated around "Joker" continues to impress. The upcoming movie of the homonymous character, having Joaquin Phoenix in the lead role, debuts early October, still this year. To have an idea, it was revealed that in the opening 72 hours, first trailer for the movie received 36 million views on Warner Bros.' YouTube channel. In comparative means, unveiled few days later, computer graphics trailer of the remake from widely awarded 1994 animation "The Lion King" completed 17 million views in the same period and the first trailer for the ninth installment of the iconic "Star Wars" saga, that aired April 12, announcing the title of this installment ("Rise of Skywalker"), has 22 million views, three days after."

I wonder if it's due to the trailer being awesome or because TDK left such a massive mark in pop culture, than anything Joker instantly attract great attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"