Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

Meet Martin Scorsese's Secret Weapon in New York: "It's Emma's City. She Knows Everybody"

Shot over 59 days in the fall, Joker sees New York standing in for Gotham, including a violent protest filmed at a subway station in Brooklyn. Phillips' crew also built sets inside Steiner Studios at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. There was one element New York City couldn't provide, however, and that was its own historically gritty look. In a climactic riot sequence, Phillips wanted the feeling of late-'70s Times Square. For that effect, Koskoff ultimately ended up taking him to Newark.

^ I applied to be an extra when Joker was shooting in Newark, but I dropped the ball and applied too late.

See, that doesn't comfort me. It suggests the fundamental underlying conceptual flawing, of portraying the Joker as being "not black and white", when the Joker is, in fact, *absolutely* black and white. He is, depending on exact version, a nihilistic terrorist and spree killer dedicated to the downfall of society. It does not get more black hat villainous than that. Creating a movie that is all about sympathizing with the Joker is a lot like making a movie that is all about sympathizing with a school shooter.

I sympathize with The Joker because if you really watch the trailer closely you will see that all he wants to do is make people laugh. Then those guys steal his sign and then hit him with it. The man is a struggling comic trying to make it...trying to be recognized or taken seriously but every time he's cast aside or being made out to be a freak who gets beat on time after time not just by life but by people in general. All it takes is one bad day to snap. Society turned him into what we know The Joker to be.

I sympathize with The Joker because if you really watch the trailer closely you will see that all he wants to do is make people laugh. Then those guys steal his sign and then hit him with it. The man is a struggling comic trying to make it...trying to be recognized or taken seriously but every time he's cast aside or being made out to be a freak who gets beat on time after time not just by life but by people in general. All it takes is one bad day to snap. Society turned him into what we know The Joker to be.
The Joker's not a character that I have ever sympathised with in comics, animation, or on film. It'd be interesting if I found myself doing that after watching this.

TKJ is my all-time #2 GN and I certainly recognised his tough breaks, but I never found myself actually feeling sympathy for him :shrug:

Last edited:
I love the opening shot of the teaser where Arthur is probably off in his mind with violent thoughts as he has a pretty angry face on, but then comes back with a smile. I know for certain Phoenix will give a great performance whether or not the movie turns out great.

I thought Joaquin might be the only guy that could top Heath. I don't really think so anymore after the teaser. The voice and laugh especially just don't compare. He's not even remotely as menacing as Heath's Joker was. But who knows, they haven't shown very much of the movie yet. I'm still ****ing hyped, but I don't think Heath will be topped anytime soon. Maybe not ever.

I think Phoenix will end up delivering a fantastic performance in his own right, and I like his laugh too, but i definitely don't think he will match ledger. I hate comparing them, but if I'm going to, I don't see heath being topped. There's so many things that made Ledgers Joker spectacular and every little thing he has done, from the mannerisms, to the laugh, to the way he speaks, etc, is remembered almost as a spectre that looms over not just the role of the Joker, but comic book films and films in general.

Like I said, I think phoenix will deliver a fantastic performance that people will talk about and remember, but on par Ledgers? I doubt it.

Last edited:
No way this performance will be viewed better than ledgers. Not only would this movie have to top the dark knight, which is not probable, then Phoenix will have to universally dethrone ledger. I don't think either of those happen. He shouldn't be compared but they will. They have a similar look and are taking a realistic approach to being joker.

I doubt Joaquin will top Heath, but that’s fine by me. He just needs to deliver a great performance and not do something god-awful like Leto did, lol.

I think their performances will be quite different from each other in some respects and as a result difficult to compare

I have a feeling that Phoenix’s joker may be portrayed as marginally more sympathetic and be less of a master calculating agent of chaos to the whole system and city. I think Phoenix’s joker’s aims will be different. I think his main attempt is to get revenge on the Waynes and in his attempts to get even or harm the Waynes, this will unintentionally launch a grassroots anarchic movement that he will end up reveling in, getting swept away in and this will be his downfall. The way he will spiral out of control may be portrayed more sympathetically hence the cautionary tale idea that Phillips discusses. Phoenix may be more “fly by the seat of his pants” and not much of a calculating genius that Ledger is (like the way he’s on the run from the cops). I don’t think he will be as consistently menacing either. Not until the end of the film maybe

I think their performances will be quite different from each other in some respects and as a result difficult to compare

I have a feeling that Phoenix’s joker may be portrayed as marginally more sympathetic and be less of a master calculating agent of chaos to the whole system and city. I think Phoenix’s joker’s aims will be different. I think his main attempt is to get revenge on the Waynes and in his attempts to get even or harm the Waynes, this will unintentionally launch a grassroots anarchic movement that he will end up reveling in, getting swept away in and this will be his downfall. The way he will spiral out of control may be portrayed more sympathetically hence the cautionary tale idea that Phillips discusses. Phoenix may be more “fly by the seat of his pants” and not much of a calculating genius that Ledger is (like the way he’s on the run from the cops). I don’t think he will be as consistently menacing either. Not until the end of the film maybe
I'm kind of hoping Phoenix's Joker will eventually get to the point that we really despise him however. I know he will start out sympathetic and we will feel for him and understand how he goes from bad to worse, but I want to see how he ultimately just doesn't give a **** about anyone at all and becomes a truly despicable person in all respects.

Although I'm avoiding getting into who will be the better Joker, the comparisons will be unavoidable. However, the argument that Ledger's Joker will be better because of box office results and word of mouth makes absolutely no sense. Since when are those sources to measure someone's talent? Each of these films are being tailored to a different audience and, equally, how the Joker is being represented is different. Ledger's represented a contrast to Batman's by the book moral compass while Phoenix's is a consequence of someone who is mentally ill being eaten up and spit out by society.

It’s kind of hard to judge when we only seen a 2 minute teaser.
Maybe but let's be honest with ourselves, are we really expecting anybody to rival ledger? He's in a league of his own. All I want from this film is something unique and good. I never expected Phoenix to come close to ledger

I agree Ledger is in a league of his own because he's the first, but the Joker is one of those characters that can be played many different ways, and still embody the Joker, so I'm mostly hoping for a memorable take, that will at least allow for debate on which one is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"