Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

‘Joker’ Tops U.K. List of Most Complained About Films in 2019, but Can’t Beat ‘The Dark Knight’

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has confirmed Todd Phillips’ R-rated comic book drama “Joker” was the most complained about movie in the United Kingdom last year. The BBFC’s annual report has “Joker” topping the list of most complained about films with 20 complaints filed in regards to the movie’s age 15 classification.

The majority of complaints against “Joker” argued the film should’ve received an age 18 rating due to “violence and tone,” while a select few said the BBFC should’ve banned the movie altogether. The BBFC defended the age 15 rating for “Joker” because the film “doesn’t dwell on the infliction of pain or injury in a manner that requires an 18.”

While “Joker” received the most complaints in 2019, its total number is far less than the amount of complaints the spy thriller “Red Sparrow” received in 2018. The Jennifer Lawrence-starring movie was the BBFC’s most complained about movie in 2018 with 64 complaints. Similar to “Joker,” the majority of complaints against “Red Sparrow” argued that its age 15 rating was too low due to the level of violence. The total number of complaints filed to the BBFC dropped by nearly half from 2018 to 2019. There were only 149 total complaints filed in 2019.

The decrease in complaints suggests U.K. audiences are getting less bothered by movie violence and darker tones. Just look at Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight,” which received a grand total of 364 complaints back in 2008. Those complaints slammed the BBFC for giving “The Dark Knight” an age 12 rating. Perhaps moviegoers are becoming more accustomed to violence, or maybe it’s just that Heath Ledger’s Joker is far more terrifying than Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker.

They would be a pack of fools to not make a sequel. I want a full movie of JOKER. I agree that 20 minutes wasn’t enough for arguably the best Joker we’ve ever gotten. As time has gone on, I have come to view this version as the best Joker ever.

Just do a full on Mad Love storyline. If they do a sequel, Harley and/or Batman are a must

One more BTS pic ! I love how they made sure they got some hq, really artistic pics during the shooting.

h4w9xznvxjb51.jpg

Why? Honest to God why? I'm kinda completely over the idea of a sequel at this point. Let movies stand on their own two feet .

There's a big question to be answered when it comes to the reliability of Arthur's narration. Many fans want to know how much of those events actually took place or if they were skewed/fabricated by Arthur's accounts.

There's a big question to be answered when it comes to the reliability of Arthur's narration. Many fans want to know how much of those events actually took place or if they were skewed/fabricated by Arthur's accounts.
And all of those questions are better left unanswered/open to interpretation.

The only way I'd be okay with it would be a BR2049 scenario where a lot of the first film's questions aren't really answered

A sequel could actually build on the ambiguity even more. I wouldn’t expect anything less from Todd and Joaquin. They can delve even further into Joker’s madness, as he has now fully accepted his mental illness.

If you liked the first movie, and Todd/Joaquin find a story that they are excited to tell, then why would any of you have a problem with a sequel? A sequel (even if it is bad) has never ruined a movie. The original movie can always be judged objectively by a rational moviegoer.

Every second Joaquin was onscreen was like a drug to me. The performance was intoxicating, and to me, it was the best performance I have ever seen. I would be ecstatic to see more of this portrayal. Especially in a movie where we get Joker the whole time.

A movie set in Arkham would be cool, but I’d kind of like to see Joker becoming the Clown Prince of Crime and you can’t really do that in an Arkham set movie. Set a big portion of it there sure, but I want to see him unleashed upon Gotham.

I'd suggest one half to be Cuckoo's Nest like everyone's saying, and another half to be The Departed (I'm thinking a sort of adaptation of Brian Azzarello's Joker here)

I’m surprised no ones had another go at a prestige one shot like Joker. A solo Joker story has been proven to have a ton of potential.

It may be blasphemous, but I can honestly say that Joker (2019) is my favorite Joker origin. Yes, I even prefer it to The Killing Joke.

It may be blasphemous, but I can honestly say that Joker (2019) is my favorite Joker origin. Yes, I even prefer it to The Killing Joke.

I actually agree. It's a much better origin than TKJ if Joker MUST have an origin

And all of those questions are better left unanswered/open to interpretation.

The only way I'd be okay with it would be a BR2049 scenario where a lot of the first film's questions aren't really answered

We'll just have to disagree on that because I think that a sequel that proves Arthur was lying to his therapists makes him more Jokerish. That's one of the criticisms that I had of this film was that it made Arthur too sympathetic and too logical. Even his murder spree at the end made some twisted sense. It was well-made cinema, but it wasn't the kind of shocking, homicidal impulses that Joker should have, ala Nicholson's Joker shooting Bob the Goon in frustration. If a Joker sequel lets us know that Arthur was just spinning a yarn for his own amusement, that's more in-character.

We'll just have to disagree on that because I think that a sequel that proves Arthur was lying to his therapists makes him more Jokerish. That's one of the criticisms that I had of this film was that it made Arthur too sympathetic and too logical. Even his murder spree at the end made some twisted sense. It was well-made cinema, but it wasn't the kind of shocking, homicidal impulses that Joker should have, ala Nicholson's Joker shooting Bob the Goon in frustration. If a Joker sequel lets us know that Arthur was just spinning a yarn for his own amusement, that's more in-character.
I actually agree on that, but I think leaving that ambiguity there and just having him be that way in the sequel without dwelling on whether or not he was always that way is also fitting

Like, that's already how I envision the ending ; that he made the whole thing up to get the psychiatrist going before killing her . But actually answering that question not only takes away the ambiguity of that, but ruins it for people who maybe DID want to imagine the story to be true . It'd be like answering definitively whether or not Deckard is a replicant. Some things are better left unsaid.

Last edited:
I was opposed to a sequel at first but not anymore. I hope we get it

I was opposed to a sequel at first but not anymore. I hope we get it
I was thinking we could get a sequel inspired by The Mask Of The Phantasm/Year One of Bruce transformation into Batman. Could also be inspired by Scorsese but set many years after the first film (ala Blade Runner 2049 so none of the film's ambiguity gets lost) and having the Joker as the antagonist. Kinda like a character study of Bruce, so we would have a gritty character study of both Joker and Batman (watching the two sides of the same coin). Basically a parallel of the first film but from the side of the rich. Could end with the first night both characters fought.

I just want a film that explores how traumatized Bruce really is.

Last edited:
I really hope so. Joker is the best comic book movie since TDK. If Phoenix and Phillips have an idea of where to take a sequel, then by all means let them do one.

Any naysayers that think Joaquin wouldn’t want to do a sequel need to watch this:

Since Phoenix was against most of the comic references including Thomas Wayne, I don't understand why people think he'd be cool with having to fight Batman in a sequel. Not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"