Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

I'd stay in the 1980s. The themes were still so relevant without the need for a modern day setting. I'd have a time jump, though. Perhaps five years.

Have it set 5/10 year later and Gotham has been transformed, ironically into a laughing joke of a city, as crime and gangs run rampant.... that night in joker was the catalyst... it changed everything... joker is worshipped and crime is done in his name... this Is what prompts Bruce to act. This is why Bruce hates the joker so much and doesn't kill him.. he can't... he's locked up, but he torments bruce... bruce sees his actions in the crimes he's solving... his DNA all over the city... Batman goes around keeping Gotham safe, knowing one day he will be out... that's the ptsd effect he has on Bruce.The bat cave, it's almost like bruce is obsessed.... and likewise for Arthur, he's obsessed with the bat... watching it all unfurl... bruce gets reports, illegally... of Arthur's condition, mind set etc it's like Arthur knows this and sets him up to fail.

Can have silence of the lambs type scenes where bruce/batman get into see him, and confrontation.... after all his actions led to his father demise..

I would have batman introduced, but we don't see it... we don't see batman, we just see the effects the two have on each other.

I think Batman influences would be present, but not heavily. They don't seem to want the traditional Batman/Joker matchup, and I don't either.

I think Batman influences would be present, but not heavily. They don't seem to want the traditional Batman/Joker matchup, and I don't either.
That's why I would suggest they feature a psychological battle between the two.

Power Lawyers 2021: Hollywood’s Top 100 Attorneys – The Hollywood Reporter

Sloane Offer Weber & Dern
Southwestern Law School

Client Zack Snyder is back in action with his Justice League cut on HBO Max and the Netflix zombie flick Army of the Dead. Todd Phillips struck a deal to co-write the next Joker installment, while Amy Poehler is booming in the DIY space with Making Itand planned spinoff Backing It. Paul Feig is directing the star-packed School for Good and Evil at Netflix, while J.A. Bayona has begun shooting Amazon’s high-profile Lord of the Rings series.

It would be great to see a full film where Arthur has been fully consumed by the Joker persona. I did feel like the first movie ended just as he was created.

I didn't like it, it felt too much like just watching The King of Comedy with some Taxi Driver again, also too much felt random and Thomas Wayne was too gratuitously antagonistic.

I hope either Batman and/or Harley are involved in the sequel.

That first movie made a billion dollars... there’s a small chance that this sequel could be just another possible origin for The Joker. This could leave the door open for Joaquin Phoenix to return in a Matt Reeves Batman movie. Naturally the sequel would further establish that Joker’s an unreliable narrator. The timeline issues are negated by a mentally unstable narrator; it’s a perfect back door.

If Joaquin’s Joker eventually meets Pattinson’s Batman, it’s essentially an event/crossover film. But if that happens, I’d like to see an infinitely more sinister and less sympathetic Joker from Phoenix.

I think doing yet another origin just to sell the unreliable narrator angle would be a hard sell for most people. Just too confusing and in the end you'd just be covering the same ground. I'd rather see a continuation because we only really see the Joker at the end. Even then I don't think he's fully realised, more that he's just figured out his new potential.

My script idea:

Movie opening: A number of clowns with big wigs are followed from behind amidst the cobblestone walkways and concrete jungle that is daytime gotham city. They arrive at a familiar location being the clownshop from the 1st movie.

The clowns enter the dressing room talk casually with the workers and just sit there without saying anything on another dreary day. The boss arrives late telling his workers to quit gawking. The clowns get up single file and waddle towards the door. While talking to the little guy from the 1st movie 3 clowns enter the room prompting the boss to say do you mind?

It turns out the clowns are there to beg. Owner tells to leave as no extra work at the moment. Things are awkward as they stare at eachother and clown starts breaking stuff in office throwing a tantrum. The owner pulls out a gun but is hit from behind by a mallet. He fires and hits 1 clown amidst ensuing struggle and the clown dies still smiling but the owner is swarmed as the little guy looks on with horror as Arthur pulls off his mask to give a hello. Scene ends with little guy leaving the building traumatized yet again. Balloons rise across screen as backdrop fairgrounds and eerie music.

The movie begins with late night news bulletin of a nurse murdered by a maniac at Arkham who can't be located continuing directly after the 1st movie...

Arthur's misguided revenge on everyone he thinks has wronged him and the GCPD's attempts to bring him down ensue. The legend of the Joker is born. The movie ends with Arthur in a disabled state (acid burns on face but not from falling into a vat though just contact with chemical from a burst gas main during firefight) following a mass riot and crackdown by a Swat team narrowly escaping a factory where a number of crime bosses are captured or killed. The Joker coincidentally finds himself a legend and sitting in a position of power with the crime families in the area in the aftermath.

He stares sullenly at a TV screen watching his favorite talkshow eating cereal. A 5 year later, 10 year later, 15 year later screen flashes as see Joker's face start to age. He arrived back in Arkham at some point during this timeframe and hear Harley asking if he'll be nicer to nurses this time. He sees a ninja on the news (this version of Batman who utilizes knockout gas to immobilize along with various kinds of weaponry) being touted as a vigilante and his face lights up. He asks Harley what she thinks of that clown to which she only laughs and he chimes in laughing as well... Movie fades to black and credits roll.

Last edited:
Guys I figured out the plot for the sequel

Hi everybody, I haven't been posting here in awhile.
I read sometimes still.
I gotta say I wasn't happy with the idea of the sequel when I first heard about it because I thought that JOKER was a moment when it came out.
Whether people loved it, people were disappointed, twitter was in shambles with exaggerated paranoia about shooting in theatres, people who disliked the movie(which is fine. An opinion needs to be respected even if you disagree).
Anyways, to not write a papyrus and keep it short:Even tho I wasn't into the idea of the sequel I hope they'll focus on Arthur in Arkham.
My hope would be focusing on his time in Arkham and during the movie having therapy sessions between him and Harley which lead to the start of the furtive relationship and him interacting with other characters from the universe who'll get thrown into Arkham
I think we all know the Arthur at the end of the first movie isn't the Joker we are used to.Someone here wrote he realized his potential at the end and I kinda agree.
Anyways, I hope they'll add a character who some way plays influence on Arthur on how expand his violence in a smarter way.
Creating plans to escape Arkham, getting out of Arkham and creating chaos in a way that makes Arthur *evolve* into what he'll become later in the years of criminality.
I hope I haven't bothered y'all with this.
Wish y'all a nice day.

Last edited:
I would once again lean into the revolutionary/political angle to reveal some of the horrors within the prison system, but also tackle the ways that people can be indoctrinated into violent extremism. The movie would be set almost entirely in Arkham, in a ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ inspired story. The central relationship in the film is between Dr. Harleen Quinzel and Mr. J. Their meetings would slowly depict how a young vulnerable person can be indoctrinated into extremism. Over the course of their meetings, Joker recounts his tragic past, and reveals what is secretly going on in Arkham. The warden Hugo Strange and sadistic guard Lyle Bolton are secretly abusing the inmates by conducting bizarre treatments and experiments. Throughout the film, Joker would have unexplained visions/hallucinations of an ethereal “Bat-Man” that only haunts him when he’s alone. Eventually, Harleen Quinzel dons the Harley Quinn moniker and helps Joker kill Hugo Strange and Lyle Bolton, as they drive into the sunset.

This movie would be set in an unspecified time period, and would even contradict the events of the first film, to hammer home the idea of Joker as an unreliable narrator. This sort of multiple choice origin can open the door for a Pattinson/Phoenix crossover.

Yeah I’m excited for Flash and The Batman, but this is the DC movie I’m most excited for. For my money, Joaquin is the best Joker ever.

Last edited:
I have no idea how you'd make a sequel to this movie.
The only idea that even remotely intrigues me is something akin to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Set it in Arkham Hospital, with Arthur battling wits with Hugo Strange. You can have other members of Batman's rogues gallery as supporting cast (Calendar Man, Ventriloquist, Mad Hatter, for example). As part of Arthur's psychosis, he always sees himself in his Joker persona (hence you get away with him "wearing makeup" while incarcerated).

The only idea that even remotely intrigues me is something akin to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Set it in Arkham Hospital, with Arthur battling wits with Hugo Strange. You can have other members of Batman's rogues gallery as supporting cast (Calendar Man, Ventriloquist, Mad Hatter, for example). As part of Arthur's psychosis, he always sees himself in his Joker persona (hence you get away with him "wearing makeup" while incarcerated).

I like this idea.

jjjj.jpg

Always appreciate when fan art like these include Cameron Monaghan. Dude was super underrated imo.

After how much the first one made, I'm not shocked. Joaquin doesn't seem like the type to do a sequel to anything he's done so I'm sure they unloaded a dump truck full of cash in his driveway.

Maybe Todd got his attention with a pitch he liked.

I’m sure money played a role too, as you said.

That, and hopefully they've got an interesting new angle to work from. I'm really itching to see more of Phoenix as a fully-formed Joker who's eager to unleash his personal brand of insanity onto the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"