Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

Mad Love in Arkham Asylum, origin of Harley and Joker's transformation into The Clown Prince of crime.

Exactly. If they want to do it, clearly they’re excited by their plans. They wouldn’t do it otherwise. Stop complaining, I trust these guys to only make it if they feel it is necessary.

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion but I'd be more excited for another Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie than I am about Matt Reeves' The Batman. Not that I'm not excited about that one but I'm more interested in the prospect of seeing Phoenix going full-on Joker in a sequel than I am about yet another Batman reboot, even though I'm sure that'll be good.

Yeah I’m way more hyped for this than The Batman because I already loved the first one so much. That first movie is firmly in my top ten movies of all time.

This is my most hyped DC film right now. It’s so stupid how people think it will retroactively ruin the integrity of the first one. The people that actually care about the creative integrity are the creators. If they’re on board, we should be too.

I really hope Joaquin plays a different version of Joker in Reeves films.

This is probably my most hyped DC film right now. It’s so stupid how people think it will retroactively ruin the integrity of the first one. The people that actually care about the creative integrity are the creators. If they’re on board, we should be too.
Hell, if they stray away from the over usage of Scorsese influences and let it be more of its own thing it could even end up being better than the first one.

Hell, if they stray away from the over usage of Scorsese influences and let it be more of its own thing it could even end up being better than the first one.
Apparently Scorsese (who declined to produce the first film) is on board for the sequel.

The negativity towards a sequel is so silly if Phillips, Scorsese and Phoenix are all on board.

I really hope we get Joker 2/Clown Prince news at Fandome

The negativity stems mainly from the fact the plan was always for this to be one and done. Phoenix even said that he agreed to play the role because of that and it's apparent from the whole narrative of the film that there was never an intention for a follow-up. Maybe at some point they thought of a good idea for a sequel and it turns to be good too, but knowing that WB pushed really hard for this because of the unprecedented success of the first one, and it was only then that the creative team changed their minds, doesn't inspire much confidence to me.

Also, Scorsese couldn't stay as a producer because he had other projects and we don't know for sure he'll be in this one either.

Your information regarding WB forcing a sequel is slightly inaccurate…

THR said:
On Oct. 7, Joker director Todd Phillips headed into Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich’s office, buoyed by the film’s $96.2 million opening-weekend haul. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter he proposed an outsized idea — the rights to develop a portfolio of DC characters’ origin stories.

Variety said:
Warner Bros. film chief Toby Emmerich has met with writer and director Todd Phillips and co-writer Scott Silver to explore possible ideas for a sequel to the drama about the early days of the Clown Prince of Crime. Insiders caution that the talks are very preliminary, no deal is in place, no storyline has been decided upon, and no script is currently being written. Phillips is also eager to make sure that any follow-up meets the artistic level of the original, which garnered strong reviews and Oscar buzz for star Joaquin Phoenix. Phillips was initially pretty clear that he saw “Joker” as being a one-off.
LA Times said:
At one point during the development of “Joker,” he proposed to Warner Bros. executives that they create a separate offshoot label called DC Black as a kind of laboratory for what he calls “independent-minded films about these characters.” (“They’re like, ‘Calm down with the label — how about you do one movie?’ ” Phillips said with a dry laugh.)

and then you have this interview from a few days ago with the notoriously selective Joaquin :

The Playlist said:
Asked if there was any movement on the film to his knowledge or whether they’d ever make a sequel, Phoenix seemed to be very open to a sequel still — as he was at the time of the film’s original release—but appeared to be in the dark on any updates or whether the sequel will actually come to pass. “I mean, I dunno. From when we were shooting, we started to —you know, uhh, this is an interesting guy. There are some things we could do with this guy and could [explore] further. But as to whether we actually will? I don’t know.”

Joaquin Phoenix Is Still Open To More 'Joker,' But Still Unsure If A Sequel Will Be Made

The evidence shows that Phillips, Phoenix, and Warner Brothers all see potential in a sequel. That’s enough for me. It’s a sequel to arguably my favorite comic book movie, I’m there day one. Joaquin’s performance is a revelation.

Last edited:
That may be what was reported at the time, but the fact that they decided to even think of the possibility of a sequel only after the immense success of the first one, speaks volumes to the main reason they're doing this. I've seen numerous cases of directors, writers and actors coming back for one more than they originally intended and it very rarely turns out any good. Again, not saying there's no way this can be worth it, but the skepticism around it is definitely justifiable for that very reason.

That may be what was reported at the time, but the fact that they decided to even think of the possibility of a sequel only after the immense success of the first one, speaks volumes to the main reason they're doing this. I've seen numerous cases of directors, writers and actors coming back for one more than they originally intended and it very rarely turns out any good. Again, not saying there's no way this can be worth it, but the skepticism around it is definitely justifiable for that very reason.
You should re-read those quotes. That’s just not true. If that’s the justification for the negativity towards a sequel, it can be quickly dispelled.

LA Times interview with Phillips said:
At one point during the development of “Joker,” he (Phillips) proposed to Warner Bros. executives that they create a separate offshoot label called DC Black as a kind of laboratory for what he calls “independent-minded filmS about these characters.” (“They’re like, ‘Calm down with the label — how about you do one movie?’ ” Phillips said with a dry laugh.)

The idea of multiple films was pitched by Phillips before shooting even began.

You should re-read those quotes. That’s just not true. If that’s the justification for the negativity towards a sequel, it can be quickly dispelled.

The idea of multiple films was pitched by Phillips before shooting even began.
Should I be the one to re-read the quotes? Because that's not what it says there. It says Phillips proposed the idea of having a separate label for similar type of origin movies like his. Nothing specifically about Joker sequels.

There were numerous other reports at the time that disputed any plans for a sequel. Here's one from an IGN article back in September 2019, straight from the horse's mouth.
"We have no plan for a sequel," Joker director Todd Phillips recently said at a post-screening reception for press in Los Angeles. The director was clarifying comments he made in an earlier interview after reports of Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix wanting to make a Joker sequel swirled online, which Phillips admitted he found "annoying."

Phillips took the opportunity to say his words about a potential sequel were taken out of context in a Total Film interview. "The quote was, 'I will do anything Joaquin wants to do.' And I would. But the movie's not set up to [have] a sequel. We always pitched it as one movie, and that's it."

Also, I don't see the so-called negativity you mention. According to the majority of comments on this forum people seem to be mostly excited about the prospect of a sequel. And skepticism doesn't necessarily equals negativity. It just means not trusting someone blindly, especially when he hasn't earned it.

Last edited:
Should I be the one to re-read the quotes? Because that's not what it says there. It says Phillips proposed the idea of having a separate label for similar type of origin movies like his. Nothing specifically about Joker sequels.

There were numerous other reports at the time that disputed any plans for a sequel. Here's one from an IGN article back in September 2019, straight from the horse's mouth.

Also, I don't see the so-called negativity you mention. According to the majority of comments on this forum people seem to be mostly excited about the prospect of a sequel. And skepticism doesn't necessarily equals negativity. It just means not trusting someone blindly, especially when he hasn't earned it.

Come on, using an offhand comment from Phillips in an IGN article versus 3 trades is an insufficient argument. I’ve provided numerous quotes and evidence that should dispel your original suggestion that the movie is being forced by Warner Brothers. All the evidence points to the contrary. Quotes from Phoenix and Phillips both indicate that a sequel will only be made if and only if they feel there is a story worth telling.

If you’re inclined, you should look into some other notable denials from actors or directors in the past (Rudd/Ant-Man is a good example). This is common in Hollywood. The trades are as reputable as you can get and have intel that a director isn’t going to blab about before deals are made. A director denying sequel talks is par for the course until deals are made. Phillips isn’t going to confirm Joker 2 in a random interview with IGN. Phillips was quoted as saying the movie is a one-off a bunch of times, but filmmakers and actors are known for keeping their true plans under wraps until they’re ready to be revealed. If you saw Todd Phillips on the street and asked him if he had plans for a sequel, he’d say the same thing.

The fact is that Todd Phillips envisioned an entire label of DC films before shooting even began. Naturally, a logical conclusion is that he is open to other films under this label (evidently this includes Joker 2). If you want to argue semantics and say that Joker 2 isn’t included because it isn’t specifically mentioned, knock yourself out.

Todd Phillips has signed a deal to write the sequel. Phoenix sounds like he sees potential in exploring the character further. It’s pretty clear to see that if a sequel is made, the talent involved would expect a certain level of creative integrity before signing on. If it ends up happening, it has my full support.

I hope for more clarification during Fandome.

Last edited:
You seem to be taking into account only what strengthens your predetermined opinion about a fact, because we see things very differently here. I could present you numerous other quotes and reports but I know a lost case when I see it (it being the conversation, not you) therefore I won't go in circles. I hope you are right and this turns out good, because nothing suggests to me a reason it should be made and I certainly am not going to blindly trust a director whose filmography only has just one more relatively good film, the sequels to which were utter garbage.

That opinion on Phillips’ filmography is valid. Based on ‘The Hangover’ trilogy I can understand the concern for ‘The Clown Prince’, but Joaquin Phoenix isn’t going to do this unless he believes in it. I have faith in this project.

I hope we get a more comic book accurate look this time. But I’m open! This was my favorite look in the film:

3C12928A-749F-4A43-BCD8-8B9E4749A1EA.jpeg

Has any trade reported the sequel is a go? Until that is the case I will just assume it isn't happening.

(honest questions)

Yeah I am gonna need more than that...people write scripts all the time. If there hasn't been a confirmation the film is happening and if even JP is saying he hasn't heard anything about it I will just assume it is wishful thinking from clickbaiters.

Yeah I am gonna need more than that...people write scripts all the time. If there hasn't been a confirmation the film is happening and if even JP is saying he hasn't heard anything about it I will just assume it is wishful thinking from clickbaiters.
It’s not confirmation that the movie ‘is a go’. It’s confirmation that a sequel is in the works. This report is from The Hollywood Reporter (as reputable as it gets). A sequel is in early development, but if you know about the trades and how they work, you will know that The Hollywood Reporter is anything but ‘wishful thinking’ or ‘clickbait’.

as far as i can tell Joaquin Phoenix is not the type of actor who chooses his project for a paycheck or friendship so there's nothing to worry about.

If a script is being written for a sequel to a movie that made over a billion dollars, I'm inclined to think that something will come of it.

If a script is being written for a sequel to a movie that made over a billion dollars, I'm inclined to think that something will come of it.

I am not saying it won't...but until a confirmation in a reputable publication shows up there is nothing to say it will. As of now we have a blurb that he was contracted to write one and that is it. There is nothing else. I guarantee we could find similar blurbs about every sequel to every DC film including bombs...

Again, it likely happens, but I will believe it when I see JP saying it in Variety or THR. Not some secondhand comment in a blurb about an entertainment lawyer. I think people are clinging to a lot of really thin circumstantial evidence.

I am not saying it won't...but until a confirmation in a reputable publication shows up there is nothing to say it will. As of now we have a blurb that he was contracted to write one and that is it. There is nothing else. I guarantee we could find similar blurbs about every sequel to every DC film including bombs...

Again, it likely happens, but I will believe it when I see JP saying it in Variety or THR. Not some secondhand comment in a blurb about an entertainment lawyer. I think people are clinging to a lot of really thin circumstantial evidence.
That’s your prerogative, but in the industry, these types of little confirmations all add up to a much bigger picture. Your skepticism is pretty unfounded when you consider how iron-clad the source is. It’s from THR, this is top level. There is confirmed movement and the film is actively being developed with a contracted writer and an (apparently) interested star.

No the movie isn’t ‘a go’ but it’s confirmed as being actively developed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"