Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

Honestly - if he dies it just further shows how bizaare DC/WB are. I’m hoping this leads to him jumping up and killing the cops who think he is dead so they lower their guns

he dies, body gets taken to the morgue, Dr Strange takes his body and resurrects him, enter 'perma-white Joker'. oh wait, gotham pretty much did that already

A crossover movie event with the MCU would be wonderful!

This movie won’t have connections to any other movie and it’s possible that Batman just doesn’t exist and won’t exist in this universe :shrug:

No Batman? Just joker and he dies when he is starts to rise to power? Kind of a waste if u ask me.

It just doesn't make sense to go that route.

What doesn’t make sense about it? It’s an Elseworlds movie. They can do whatever they want.

Yes, it's an Elseworlds story but the public is sufficiently well versed in Batman lore to know that he and Joker are mortal enemies. A Joker movie without Batman would only work, as far the public's concerned, if Batman could possibly be lurking somewhere in the background. No Batman/Joker feud ever is just gonna confuse and irritate the hell out of them.

I want to see this movie end with Joker meeting Batman for the first time. No action, no story, no dialogue, they just finally see eachother face to face. The whole film is his origin, how he was broken down, fell into a life of crime, needing more and more chaos to be fulfilled but it's never enough. Finally in the very end, in the middle of his biggest heist, Batman shows up on a rooftop. They eye eachother up for the first time, joker loves it, more interested in batman than the crime, batman trying to figure out someone he's never seen before, pulls out a batarang, joker pulls a knife, he finally met his match, finally laughing maniacally for everything that's to come between them. cuts to black. I think that's how you end a joker origin.

Not necessarily lacks sense, it's just the Joker being a super-villain against Batman turns the whole idea into one of a kind. It still can be interesting character study, drama or whatever in it's own right, but lack of Batman (even promise of that) begs for a question: why is this guy called "Joker", if he has little do with "that" Joker. Can be just "funny guy", "clown", "satire-man", "laughing killer" or whatever.

Yeah, having it end before Joker or Batman can ever meet sort of makes you wonder why even call the the Joker?

Because it's a new take on the character.

Not necessarily lacks sense, it's just the Joker being a super-villain against Batman turns the whole idea into one of a kind. It still can be interesting character study, drama or whatever in it's own right, but lack of Batman (even promise of that) begs for a question: why is this guy called "Joker", if he has little do with "that" Joker. Can be just "funny guy", "clown", "satire-man", "laughing killer" or whatever.
Jester, the buffoon monarch of murder :)

Because it's a new take on the character.

Exactly. “I’m not used to this/I don’t want this to happen” isn’t the same as “This doesn’t make sense.”

Personally, I don’t expect to see Batman at all.

Last edited:
Exactly. “I’m not used to this/I don’t want this to happen” isn’t he same as “This doesn’t make sense.”
This this THIS
edBQBeJ.gif

You can't see why this doesn't make sense? Sure it can make sense to you, but the vast majority, if this film is just a one off, with no links to Batman, then what purpose does it serve?
If it was to have no connection what so ever to Batman, then why not just label this as some other clown thriller cashing in on the I.T films. I feel some people just want to be seen as relevant by praising this as a unique interesting character study - when we fall into this trap you have flops like BvS.
Which is why i firmly believe Pheonix will play the Clown one more time as the villian to Reeve's Batman. Money talks and if this movie is a hit, there is no way they will just leave it as that.
It just feels wrong if they were to go in that direction.

You can't see why this doesn't make sense?

No. But I can see why someone would have a problem with it.

Sure it can make sense to you, but the vast majority, if this film is just a one off, with no links to Batman, then what purpose does it serve?

Same as any movie: to tell a story. This one in particular has been described as a cautionary tale that follows a man who has been, at least in his mind, largely mistreated by society.

If it was to have no connection what so ever to Batman, then why not just label this as some other clown thriller cashing in on the I.T films.

Because it might not make as much money or earn the studio as much goodwill.

I feel some people just want to be seen as relevant by praising this as a unique interesting character study - when we fall into this trap you have flops like BvS.

Maybe, but I’m not one of them. I have no reason to believe this film will be good. The set photos have been very interesting to look at, but they don’t mean a damn thing. I promise you that some these same people who are being vocally appreciative of these photos also praised Leto and his mannerisms in BTS videos of SS. And look how that turned out.

Which is why i firmly believe Pheonix will play the Clown one more time as the villian to Reeve's Batman. Money talks and if this movie is a hit, there is no way they will just leave it as that.
It just feels wrong if they were to go in that direction.

Not saying you’re wrong, but...brace yourself for disappointment. Just in case.

If a movie doesn't have a superhero in it then it doesn't serve any purpose.:o

You also lose the whole Gotham City connection. Plus, to say that Joker is just another clown killer without Batman is nonsense. Anyone can recognize Joker on his own because of his unique characteristics.

If a movie doesn't have a superhero in it then it doesn't serve any purpose.:o

Don't be a tool... it doesn't serve any purpose to the character as the character has always been a part of Batman lore.

It's like having a Santa movie based on his summer vacation to hawaii - it's only using the brand to sell.

No. But I can see why someone would have a problem with it.

Same as any movie: to tell a story. This one in particular has been described as a cautionary tale that follows a man who has been, at least in his mind, largely mistreated by society.

Maybe, but I’m not one of them. I have no reason to believe this film will be good. The set photos have been very interesting to look at, but they don’t mean a damn thing. I promise you that some these same people who are being vocally appreciative of these photos also praised Leto and his mannerisms in BTS videos of SS. And look how that turned out.

Not saying you’re wrong, but...brace yourself for disappointment. Just in case.

I appreciate your view and i can totally respect where you are coming from, you can see why to someone it wouldn't make sense... which i would say will be the vast majority of the GA if he dies at the end or its a one off - comments like 'well where is batman in all of this?'
Sure, it's a cautionary tale, that doesn't need to be about the joker, is my point - it's unoriginal in the sense they aren't brave enough to let it stand on its own two feet. You saying it might not make enough money - EXACTLY - money is the factor here, as all businesses are. How many times have we seen in hollywood scripts being shared around and rewritten to fit a certain IP - cloverdale for instance.
Yes, this only looks good because it's coming off the back of Leto and it resembles the joker a lot of us are aware of so it appeases us that way, but let's be honest..... if this was any other character, an original crime thriller, the set pics would have meant absolutely nothing to anyone.... but we are like, wow the jokers origins, so cool to see, but means nothing, serves nothing if they don't include what he is best known for - they've literally taken the name joker to sell this movie if that's all it is, a one off.

What next, an origin movie of lois lane, where she marries a camera man and that's it??? You may as well let it be what it was originally intended for, the devil wears prada sequel.

So this is why i hope it's an intro to a character we see again and in his proper environment

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"