Superman Returns The lifting of NK = Utterley Heroic?

Superman`s weekness is not kryptonite.

In Zod words, his weekness is

"HE CARES"

This is what should`ve been explored. Sorry but lifting a continent is not that heroic to me.

"HE CARES"

This is what should`ve been explored. Sorry but lifting a continent is not that heroic to me.

I agree about the caring (it's a strength too). But kryptonite is a physical weakness.

Angeloz

Yeah, Superman sitting there caring for people is far more dangerous than Kryptonite.

You cant stop being a jerk, can you? Dont act like a smartass, man.

I hope you can throw some argumentation and not only namecalling.

And for the sake of the ideas, I was glad Superman cared for Lois so he went to rescue her from Lex's yatch but he was stopped because he considered saving Metropolis people was more important than his girl. I wonder if Richard could have decided the same thing if he was in the same position...

You see how Superman cared for people close to him the same as for innocent people in general and made the right decision not planning on reversing time later or anything tricky. He was preoared to let Lopis die if that was necessary.

It was in the movie, where is your complaint coming from other than being argumentative?

Because great stories dont rely on Kryptonite as Superman`s main weekness.

We see Superman dying of Kryptonite its just sooo...boring and uninteresting. At least to me...I like in Superman for all seasons when he discovers he cant save everybody and wonders why must there be a superman.

CLARK
Pa. I began to think i could do anything. And i cant...

PA KENT
Well...my first year, when the corn came up, it was the talk of the county. And i got wrong-headed enough to believe that every harvest would be a prize winner. THe next year, two fields went fallow. It`s not nearly as hard as learning you have limitations as it is learning how to work with them. Over time, i`d like to think i became a pretty darn good farmer. Over time, son.

SR just didnt have none of that. At least to me. Not with that impact.

Valid.

But it doesn't invalidate something as traditional as Kryptonite to be a good weapon against him.

That said, it was a mere weapon. Superman deciding to save either Lois or Metropolis, him adapting himself to Earth again, him trying to regain Lois- heart was the core of the movie. Not just Kryptonite.

Sigh...........

Indiana Jones, is fearless, save for ...snakes.... it is his weakness.
Superman is invulnerable save for Kryptonite.....it his his weakness.
This is different than the action film/action hero and bulletts cliche comparison Cyrusbales proposes.

The weakness is created solely to limit and or incapacitate the hero.

Yet often in these movies we find the hero over-coming or conquering said weakness, why should Superman be any different?

Besiders and i am sick of saying this, SUPERMAN VIRTUALLY DIED IN THE ACT.

How often does a film revolve around the central character overcoming their weakness?

Very often.

"HE CARES"

How about lifting a continent that you just nearly died on, but you still go back to lift it despite the fact that you think you are going to die.

Is that heroic?

In fact it is ALWAYS like that. It's the most essential conflict. Without it you have nothing.

Exactly, practically ALL action movies have something to do with this, its the basic formula for a hero, to overcome your weakness to save someone/people.

Isnt a big part of Batman Begins how Bruce overcomes his weakness/fear of bats?

I thought it was heroic and I agree that it wasnt pure kryptonite. I also agree that kryptonite should harm him because it always has. However, I also LIKE the idea of kryptonite NOT killing, or weakening him to a near death state, RIGHT AWAY.

I like the idea of kryptonite taking a little time to sap Superman's strength. I never liked the idea of just ANYONE having kryptonite. That's the problem I have with Smallville. There is just TOO MUCH kryptonite lying around. Otherwise, I love it.

I think it should take a short while before Superman is reduced to a point where he cant stand up. It would be more interesting because, then a lower level foe could fight him with kryptonite in hand, yet, Superman would struggle in a fist fight and MAYBE go down, rather than go down right away.

Exactly, practically ALL action movies have something to do with this, its the basic formula for a hero, to overcome your weakness to save someone/people.

Isnt a big part of Batman Begins how Bruce overcomes his weakness/fear of bats?

Yes but Superman did not overcome a weakness in the movie SR. The diluted Kryptonite allowed him to do exactly what he did. If the K was not diluted and there was more of it...he would not have been able to pick the rock up. It has nothing to do with will power.

Yes I know that is a theme in movies but this was not the case for this scene.

I thought it was heroic and I agree that it wasnt pure kryptonite. I also agree that kryptonite should harm him because it always has. However, I also LIKE the idea of kryptonite NOT killing, or weakening him to a near death state, RIGHT AWAY.

I like the idea of kryptonite taking a little time to sap Superman's strength. I never liked the idea of just ANYONE having kryptonite. That's the problem I have with Smallville. There is just TOO MUCH kryptonite lying around. Otherwise, I love it.

I think it should take a short while before Superman is reduced to a point where he cant stand up. It would be more interesting because, then a lower level foe could fight him with kryptonite in hand, yet, Superman would struggle in a fist fight and MAYBE go down, rather than go down right away.

Yes like Lex punching him with a Kryptonite ring

I thought it looked rather painful and difficult for him to lift it. Especially at the end. If it was easy for him then he shouldn't have become unconscious or seemingly flatline in the hospital.

Angeloz

I thought it looked rather painful and difficult for him to lift it. Especially at the end. If it was easy for him then he shouldn't have become unconscious or seemingly flatline in the hospital.

Angeloz

I never said it was easy...it was the fact that the K was at the levels of potency it was to allow him to lift it. Yes it was ahrd for him to do but he still did it. Yes he nearly died but only becaue the levels of K were what they were in the rock.

If they had been stronger he would die when he hit the planet if they had been weker he would have lifted the rock with ease.

I thought he lived when he crashed to the ground was because he still had some strength though drained (hence unconscious). But also he was away from most of the kryptonite and there would of been some sunlight. So he might have had a little boost from this. Although the little bit of kryptonite was draining him too (slowly enough that he succumbed in the hospital and not earlier).

Angeloz

I thought he lived when he crashed to the ground was because he still had some strength though drained (hence unconscious). But also he was away from most of the kryptonite and there would of been some sunlight. So he might have had a little boost from this. Although the little bit of kryptonite was draining him too (slowly enough that he succumbed in the hospital and not earlier).

Angeloz

Regardless the exact level of surronding K and sunlight was at the level to produce the scene we all see in the movie.

Regardless the exact level of surronding K and sunlight was at the level to produce the scene we all see in the movie.

You mean that he could recharge and lift the landmass?

Angeloz

You mean that he could recharge and lift the landmass?

Angeloz

Yes all these thing were a factor. The charge from the Sunlight, the level of K in the rock and the small tiny chunk in his back.

If one of these things were changed the scene would change too.

The chunk in his back was bigger or the K was more potent etc...

He was strong enough to get his curl back when he landed. Or was it his Kryptonian hair gel? ;)

Sorry feeling silly (and I like his hair). I agree with you about what you've said pretty much LexCorp. :)

He was strong enough to get his curl back when he landed. Or was it his Kryptonian hair gel? ;)

Sorry feeling silly (and I like his hair). I agree with you about what you've said pretty much LexCorp. :)

Thanks Angel.

Just trying to hammer home the point I se in the scene. More of circumstance rather than will power alone.

Hey I always wonder why Superman gels his hair...and with what too.

It's Kryptonian Super Dooper Secret Identity Hair Gel (so one can change your hair depending on your identity you are at the moment - two or more are allowed). Didn't you know? ;)

Angeloz

It's Kryptonian Super Dooper Secret Identity Hair Gel (so one can change your hair depending on your identity you are - two or more are allowed). Didn't you know? ;)

Angeloz

super%20hair%20energizer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"