The Lighthouse

You practically have to watch The VVitch with subtitles. The vernacular is so archaic it's nearly a different language.
its interesting, i've seen the film a few times but never with subtitles. I might do that later.

I didn’t like The Witch at all, but this I will check out. Pattinson and Dafoe :up:

To be clear, I love that about the movie. It added a sense of authenticity in its portrayal of a particular time and place in history, and for a horror movie especially it gave this strange foreign patina that helped create an atmosphere of dread.

To be clear, I love that about the movie. It added a sense of authenticity in its portrayal of a particular time and place in history, and for a horror movie especially it gave this strange foreign patina that helped create an atmosphere of dread.
Agreed!

I hope Robert Eggers does another movie shot like The Lighthouse, but Lustmord does the score for it. He's a master a dark ambient sound.

Loved this when it was first announced, loving it now. Also, what a gorgeous movie poster.

Sexual content? I hope that Defoe and Patt don't have sex with each other.
tumblr_pvgkpxHX1f1uw43cfo5_r1_540.gif

Dafoe's voice tho.

Well now you've ruined the surprise. Those tentacles ain't there just for show.

The tag line is “there is enchantment in the light.”

:sus

My question is are all these things going to be hallucinations? Thats what it seems like to me

I hope not. If this movie is just a bunch of pretty shots of two guys going nuts from being alone together in a lighthouse, that doesn't seem very interesting.

The movie is described as a psychological horror with comedic elements from people who've seen it, so yeah, I'd assume it's all hallucinations.

Or maybe Eggers is gonna leave everything ambiguous to the audience.

Well, he did ambiguity pretty well in The VVitch, so that could work here too. In that movie, it wasn't 100% clear until the end where there was something supernatural going on or if it was just religious nuts losing their minds.

I hope not. If this movie is just a bunch of pretty shots of two guys going nuts from being alone together in a lighthouse, that doesn't seem very interesting.

Wasn’t this compared to a Samuel Beckett play already, though? Or a Harold Pinter comedy of menace? Eggers did character deterioration pretty well in the VVITCH already. Engagingly so.

Edit: Bela Tarr comparisons were made as well. One can discern some maddening and even comedic struggle between Batman and the Green Goblin as the light of the world fades out ala The Turin Horse.

Last edited:
Wasn’t this compared to a Samuel Beckett play already, though? Or a Harold Pinter comedy of menace? Eggers did character deterioration pretty well in the VVITCH already. Engagingly so.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll do it well, that's not my concern. I guess my issue with horror (and I might be alone in this) is that so few horror films these days feel really fresh and new to me. Like, I want to see something I haven't seen before, because the unknown is scary. People losing their minds in a secluded area, whether it's aided by a supernatural force or not, can be engaging but it's not new; we've all seen The Shining.

I don't fail to see the irony of someone complaining films that lack originality and new ideas on a board that primarily exists to discuss one of the most formulaic genres in cinema (superhero movies), but for some reason that's how I feel about horror films. Like, I can accept that superhero movies (origin films at least) have certain beats they need to hit, certain tropes they need to fall into. I can accept that romances, comedies and action movies also have a formula they have to follow. But I guess with horror, it takes a LOT for a movie to freak me out so I'm constantly craving horror films that push the envelope or take things in a direction I don't see coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"