The Lion King

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
I've just seen this for the first time in years, and I've only realised how great it is. It's a classic, even Disney themselves consider it their finest achievement. I even like the songs.

My buddy said it was crap...I almost kicked his ass. :o

I think I might get the DVD soon. I still consider it my favourite Disney movie.

But I haven't seen Finding Nemo yet.:o:(

The opening "Circle of Life" sequence is beautiful, breathtaking animated sequence I've ever seen. The movie is great because they weren't afraid to go with some darker themes. Mufasa's death is our generations Bambi's mom death.

Love the movie and have the dvd and vhs(first time out) of it. Even have a drawing from one of animators that worked on the movie :D Thanks to my sister, have it store away safe.

Originally posted by Master Chief
My buddy said it was crap...I almost kicked his ass. :o

Almost? You should have :mad: Great movie :)

I hate the "Special Edition" with it's one minute of added footage...WTF was that all about?

Lion King just may be the pinnacle of their animated movies. Too bad they won't give credit to Tezuka for blatantly ripping off his series Jungle Emperor, also known as Kimba the White Lion.

Originally posted by Peacekeeper
I saw it on Broadway which was very good, IMO.

I couldn't agree more!

I saw it a couple years ago in NYC, and I have to admit, it was one of the most incredible things I've EVER witnessed! I can't tell you how much I've been wanting to see this again, or get a DVD of it!

Just...incredible...

Originally posted by Kevin Roegele
I've just seen this for the first time in years, and I've only realised how great it is. It's a classic, even Disney themselves consider it their finest achievement. I even like the songs.

Its a classic man... great film. :)

Wow - everyone agrees!

What a great day this is.

It took you THIS LONG?!?!?!?!?!
OMG!
I love the lion king -I ve got the soundtrak and its great!! :D:D

Originally posted by Kevin Roegele
Wow - everyone agrees!

What a great day this is.

Masters of the Universe sucks. :p

Originally posted by WallCrawl
Lion King just may be the pinnacle of their animated movies. Too bad they won't give credit to Tezuka for blatantly ripping off his series Jungle Emperor, also known as Kimba the White Lion.

Actually, the Lion King is based on Hamlet.

Originally posted by Max Shrek
He didn't know that? I thougth everyone did.:confused:

I dunno, I think it is obvious to anyone who has ever seen The Lion King, even if you just know the basic story of Hamlet

In their reinterpretation of Hamlet Disney's The Lion King bares a striking resemblance to Osama Tezuka's animated series The Jungle Emperor, or "Kimba the White Lion" when it was released here. Although Disney has repeatedly disavowed any knowledge of the Junge Emperor narrative, the comparison is nothing short of shocking. They feature parallel opening sequences. The sidekicks are almost identical, from a wise baboon to a blustery but helpful adjunct bird. The warthogs here, though playing no role, look absolutely identical to Pumbaa. The only difference between the two at all, in fact, is in the plot--and that's because this film tells the story of the grown-up Leo. Leo's story in the original animated series and manga is virtually identical to that of THE LION KING, right down to the scarred evil imposter lion king and a group of crazed hyenas.

If Disney truly had no knowledge of Kimba, then what we have is a real application of the theoretical proposition that if you sit a bunch of monkeys down in front of some typewriters, given an infinite amount of time they'll eventually type out Shakespeare's "Hamlet". Obviously, this is absurd and so is the Disney assertion that nobody in the crew knew anything about its Japanese relative.

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

i concur :o

or it's at least it's definitely up there. :up:

Chances are, you ve never seen the masterpiece Le roi et l oiseau. Or every Miyazaki masterpieces (from Nausicaa to spirited away), or Takahata s own masterpieces also (from Goshu the cellist to my neighbors the Yamadas).

Or Oshii s own works ? Angel s egg ? His Patlabor or ghost in the shell duos ? Im not even scratching the beginning of how many great animated movies there are.

But if you tell me youve seen at least all of the above, maybe.

Lion king is a great ripoff of a real animated wonder. I liked the lion king, of course, its one of the big animated movies from my childhood. But it lacks originality and heart imo.

My neighbor Totoro is probably the greatest children movie ever made. At least watch that one with kids before making your lion king claim. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"