The Mandalorian The Mandalorian: General Thread

I’m not totally bummed out by that. Plus, maybe they’re just doing the masked scenes for now and he doesn’t need to be there yet?

Cool. I wonder if tehy are gonna keep as much quiet about this, or be pretty open?

Ah that’s going to be a shame if it turns out not to be Pascal after such a strong suggestion that it might be him. :csad:

While it would’ve cool to have Pascal’s swagger under the helmet, I’m fine with them focusing more on the actual character of “The Mandalorian”, rather than the actor’s name/face. So it’s not the end of the world for me if it’s an obscure actor.

While it would’ve cool to have Pascal’s swagger under the helmet, I’m fine with them focusing more on the actual character of “The Mandalorian”, rather than the actor’s name/face. So it’s not the end of the world for me if it’s an obscure actor.
Agreed.

Nice. Is this taken on the same day as the pic of Lucas and Favreau? Did The Mandalorian have a day for people from the studio to visit the set?

Yeah. Favreau posted them back to back within a couple hours of each other last night. Filoni is probably there since he’s directing the first episode.

I’m getting spoiled with his Friday night Mandalorian updates and I hope Jon continues them until a trailer drops,lol

Would be nice to add them to the OP's first post in this thread, just to have the previous started threads all in one place. Until then collecting them here, so I don't have to jump around:

If this doesn’t excite you, nothing will.

View attachment 11589
1a08957d-4b21-48f0-9a80-6d7d4e9aff9e-jpeg.11589
qFv9jbY.jpg

? Curious Landscape on monitor.

Likely the setting outside the cantina/casbah set in the first Lucas, Favreau photo above

Last edited:
True. I think part of it is just wanting to see more of Pedro Pascal in general and being glad if he gets a good opportunity and high profile role. I'm looking forward to hearing who we do get in any case. Love what little we've seen/heard so far and I'm optimistic they'll get someone really good.

That's actually an interesting thought though, for some reason I never even figured they might just go OT-Boba with this thing and we never actually see the guy sans-helmet.

Kinda doubt they'd do that, but I'd be more than cool with it if they did. Just have people refer to him as "The Mandalorian" or various equivalents/similes throughout, and only get a name & face reveal in the final episode (or final episode of season 1 at least).

Kinda still suspect Pascal's probably the guy though. What's the chance he's just got other commitments in England for the first week or so and they're shooting other stuff not involving him first, he shows up soon for the bulk of the character stuff? I guess there's no reason that promo pic they released was shot anytime recently, that could have been some mock-up set months ago. Has the Mando armor actually been in the set pics so far?

I hope they don't do that. That's part of the reason I never really got the whole fascination with Boba. Yeah, he looks cool but he does nothing of significance in the movie, you never find out much about him other than he's supposedly this fearsome bounty hunter (but his skills are never put on display) and he dies like a chump. Even Lucas said that he never intended for the character to be much of anything but people were so fascinated by him that he decided to include him in the prequels. When the Venom movie went into production, there was a lot of talk about how Venom is basically a nothing character that people only like because he looks cool. I can certainly see where that argument comes from with Venom, because that's EXACTLY what Boba is. Yeah, they've built him up to be more in all of the EU stuff, but that's all non-canonical now so Boba might still be as worthless of a character as he was from the get go, and his Jake Lloyd-esque appearance in the Attack of the Clones did nothing to raise his stock.

Now, I know Star Wars has a habit of using characters where you never (or almost never) see their faces, and that can work if you establish a real presence for the character in other ways. Vader is obviously the best example of this. Phasma COULD have been if they hadn't made her so useless (I guess you could say they opted to Boba her). But regardless, neither of them were the main character of the movies they appeared in and it's a lot more difficult to follow a character around for the majority of a film or TV series and never see his/her face. So I hope that isn't what will happen with The Mandalorian, because they have an opportunity here to create a really cool looking character with actual character development (i.e. not Boba Fett).

Oh, I'm totally with you on Boba, Deck. Purely over-hyped as a character gets, and it's probably the first pop-culture example of that actually happening.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a little mystery to this new guy either, especially giving the time setting, the period. You'd have to figure the Mandalorians are pretty scattered & fragmented by now, the lone-gunslinger vibe works really well. A sort of Man With No Name thing would work here I think, gruff gravelly voice and people only knowing him either by pseudonyms or just plain calling him "The Mandalorian", or "the guy in the Mandalorian armor" like they don't even necessarily buy he's actually one of them.

Doubt they'll do it though, it'll probably be more of a character deep-dive to separate him from Fett.

Yeah, something like that would be very cool. I'm fine if we only get fractions of his backstory and they don't even reveal his name. That image they displayed and the description of the character both have a real "Man with No Name" feel to them, and I'm TOTALLY on board with that. A Fistful of Dollars is probably my favorite Western of all time.

But if he also keeps the helmet on full-time, I just feel like it will be really tough to give a crap about him. I mean, even with a character like Vader, the general thought from the audience is, "he's cool." But I know I didn't feel any real empathy for the guy until Luke removes his mask, even though he's noticeably less evil and even heroic throughout ROTJ. But even if you have empathy for Vader throughout the OT, there's a reason he almost always has his helmet on; he can't survive without it. Someone like this Mandalorian character (presumably) doesn't need the helmet to survive, so if he never takes it off, it just makes him seem like an oddball.

The more I think about it, like Sabine, let's see them craft an all new Mando. Hell, give us 10 of them. Show people in live action why they are so antisipated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"