• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The Marvel "Did you know?" thread

Obviously you've never read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, otherwise you'd know that what you just said is utter boos**t.

Did you know, That before Stan Lee's and Steve Ditko's take on Spider-Man came out, Jack Kirby pitched his version of Spiderman. About a young boy who lives with his angry Thunderbolt Ross type military father, and next door to a scientist.
He gets a magic ring that transforms him into the adult Spiderman, with Spider Powers and a costume.
Kirby did 5 pages of his idea. So somewhere his five pages are sitting with the alternate Spiderman.
His idea was rejected.
Then Stan and Steve submitted theirs (with a short description by Stan Lee), about a teenager who gets these powers like we all know and love.
Not sure if they were all told to come up with something about a Spider Superhero, or if Stan Lee told his idea to their boss and their boss told Kirby to make it better.

and, AND,

Did you know, Stan Lee's original idea for the Green Goblin was that a motive studio finds an Egyptian Sarcophagus, opens it and wakes up a demon (the Green Goblin).
Ditko pushed for more down to earth bad guys and stories and what we ended up with was Norman Osborn as the Green Goblin.

also, according to a bio about Ditko, towards the end of his run on Marvel his following of the teachings on Ayn Rand were heavily influencing the Spider-Man comic. He stopped making super bad guys and had Spider-Man fight more and more non powered mobsters like the Crime Master.
This is according to the book, Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko by Blake Bell.

Last edited:
I knew Kirby originally designed Spidey's suit and Stan politely told him it sucked, but I didn't know he went and made an entire origin for him too. Interesting

Dude what are you, a infomercial? Someone ban this guy! :argh:

Nah, there was a post that got deleted by some bot, selling s**t.

Don't know why anyone would buy s**t, since it pretty much grows on trees.

Yeah, but I think these guys were selling free-range, organic s**t. The expensive stuff.

There's inorganic s**t? Is that what you get from eating processed foods all the time?

Yeah. A diet that consists of processed foods can result in their poo consisting of everything from fiber glass, to Teflon.

That's boos***. I know because my diet consists entirely of processed foods and my s*** is pretty much the same as it was when my mom was cooking me proper food. :o

Oh really? Did you get your poo tested?

I had my poo tested once, it came out okay........:rimshot:.........hello?

Man-Thing is the best swamp muck hero!

Obviously you've never read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, otherwise you'd know that what you just said is utter boos**t.

I've read all the books featuring both muck monsters, and yes... Alan Moore's run on ST, along with Rick Veitch's run (though I did like Wein's a LOT!!!), were some of the best stories I've ever read...

Having said that, Man-Thing is still the best swamp muck hero... :up:

:yay:

Did you know, That before Stan Lee's and Steve Ditko's take on Spider-Man came out, Jack Kirby pitched his version of Spiderman. About a young boy who lives with his angry Thunderbolt Ross type military father, and next door to a scientist.
He gets a magic ring that transforms him into the adult Spiderman, with Spider Powers and a costume.
Kirby did 5 pages of his idea. So somewhere his five pages are sitting with the alternate Spiderman.
His idea was rejected.
Then Stan and Steve submitted theirs (with a short description by Stan Lee), about a teenager who gets these powers like we all know and love.
Not sure if they were all told to come up with something about a Spider Superhero, or if Stan Lee told his idea to their boss and their boss told Kirby to make it better.

The Kirby Spider-Man was a collaboration with Joe Simon, and they both came up with this idea in 1954... I think the hero was going to called the Silver Spider, as preferred by Simon, but Kirby liked the name "Spider-Man"... eventually, Simon took this concept and created the Fly...

A few years later, Kirby was discussing this creation to Stan, and Stan asked Kirby to develop this "Spider-Man" hero but with a more "realistic" approach... Kirby's vision was too super-hero-ish... so Stan turned to Ditko, and the rest is history.

:yay:

So, It sounds like Kirby came up with Spiderman a while ago but changed it to the Fly. Then later Kirby presented his idea for Spiderman to Stan and Ditko told him it was too similar to the Fly and Lee came up with his own version for Spider-Man, which Ditko added to and drew. (inlcuding the teenager with problems who only gets more problems when he becomes Spider-Man, and is hated by the media)
What I want to know is, along with where those 5 pages are of Spiderman) how much of Kirby's original Spiderman idea did Lee and Ditko use? Did Kirby's have Spider-Man's powers?
It sounds like, from the stories, that Spiderman and Spider-Man were too different. but does this mean that without Kirby's original idea Stan wouldn't have come up with Spider-Man/Peter Parker?
And does that mean that the whole story about seeing a fly crawling on the wall gave Stan Lee inspiration to create Spider-Man?

Did you know that Spider-Man almost joined the Avengers twice in the 60s? Back when Stan Lee was writing both titles, Amazing Spider-Man and the Avengers, Spider-Man almost joined the Avengers but it turned out to be a [BLACKOUT]robot[/BLACKOUT]. Then another time Spider-Man almost joined in his Amazing Spider-Man Annual comic, but he failed their "test" they gave him. But all the Avengers wanted him to join, or were at least willing to let him if he passed.

There was another time later in 1990 when Spidey was offered membership during a mission. It was Avengers #314-318 written by Byrne. Spider-Man got caught up in a battle with Nebula and The Stranger over some cosmic weapon. Spidey got a little reckless during the mission and Cap retracted the offer at the end of the arc, telling him he was quite ready yet to work in a group.

About a year later Larry Hama did a story about The Avengers getting their charter renewed as long as they expanded roster eligibility (other races, ect...). Spider-Man became a 1st tier reservist and guys like Rage and Sandman became provisional members.

There was a previous time during the 80's in ASM when Spidey broke into Avengers Mansion and pretty much demanded they make him a member because he was sick of his negative public image and wanted to do something about it.

Do you know what issues that Hama story was in? I always wondered when and how Sandman actually became an Avenger.

#329-333, which also featured Sandman and Vision going up against Dr. Doom. Then Harras came on as writer and I don't ever remember seeing Sandman after that. My guess is he didn't like the idea and never went back to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"