Batman '89 The Michael Keaton Appreciation Thread

I wish Keaton had been considered for Batman vs. Superman. If they were looking for it to be an "older" Batman anyway it may have worked.

Caught a glance of Keaton's Globe win and it was so cool, even into his 60's his voice still sounds youthful and not grizzled like most dudes in their 60's.

Bruce Wayne is the mask, that's what Keaton got right. He could also become Batman with a look. When Penguin rose from the waters behind him in Batman Returns, Keaton quickly turns to look behind him, his eyes becoming Batman at that moment.
Man you are so right, I was thinking the same thing but you put it in a better perspective, it's all in the eyes even with the mask torn off Bruce is still in "Batman" mode.

Congratulation, Keaton. An honor well deserved.

BCcjcKp.jpg

No for so many reasons. Among them: It would have never worked. He doesn't quite fit with the late 30s/early 40s Batman they're going for being that he's 60. He would never have accepted or considered the role, so it would have been pointless to even approach him about it. And if Keaton was ever truly going to reprise the role or re-enter the world of Batman, it would have to be under Tim Burton's direction.

No for so many reasons. Among them: It would have never worked. He doesn't quite fit with the late 30s/early 40s Batman they're going for being that he's 60. He would never have accepted or considered the role, so it would have been pointless to even approach him about it. And if Keaton was ever truly going to reprise the role or re-enter the world of Batman, it would have to be under Tim Burton's direction.

Actually, you're right. I don't know why I posted what I did, because I didn't even believe it myself! :hehe: Just suddenly wanted to introduce a little chaos. :hoboj:

True and it'd be very distracting I think. Plus, endless people would get confused and ask stupid questions like "so is Jacnk Nicholson's Joker exist in this universe? Does Pat Hingle come back as Gordon?"

Not saying Keaton's performance was bad but h's done pretty good films before Birdman and I never seen him nominated let alone win a Oscar.

I agree with this but as a fan I also feel "better late than never" because he was always so underrated and overlooked by most after the early 90's.

I'm going to make something very clear. I don't give a **** about awards shows. I think the last time I saw the Grammys or Oscars was in the late 90's when I was still in High School. I'm just not into watching celebrity circle jerks and all that jazz.

So I had no clue that he had even won a Golden Globe. Not until I saw an ad for Birdman on TV that made note of that fact. With that said I also know that for some insane reason a lot of people put stock into these awards shows.

For many fans of pop culture these awards are a validation and people are not prepared to give some artists their just due until said validation is given for some insane reason. As if that is in any way a true measure of gifted talent and not something that is just deep rooted in industry politics and biases. Never mind that masters like Kubrick or Hitchcock never got an Oscar a day in their life and still managed to **** on a great majority of major award winners. But I digress.

My main point is this: now John and Jane Q. Public could hopefully realize what most of us in this thread always knew. That Keaton is one of the most diverse and gifted actors of the last 3 decades. Since now that he's a media darling and is winning all these superfluous awards he is relevant to them.

For that reason alone I'm glad he won a Golden Globe. Now the general audience will actually give him a chance again since they care so much about these type of "credentials" and now Hollywood will also offer him even more jobs so we'll hopefully get to see more of him on the big screen during the next few years.

It is so well deserved for him and I'm very happy as someone who saw everything from Game 6 to The Merry Gentlemen on any screen I could find them on this past decade. Hell I rarely go to the movies anymore. I probably watch 2 films a year at most at the cinema now a days and I used to go almost every week not even as long as 3 years back. I hadn't seen a movie since Godzilla until this fall when Birdman opened here in NYC. I ended up seeing it twice.

Man you are so right, I was thinking the same thing but you put it in a better perspective, it's all in the eyes even with the mask torn off Bruce is still in "Batman" mode.

Also when when he's in the meeting with Max Schreck you see Batman poking out every other moment too. This is why I laughed at a post I read on this board recently about Keaton phoning in his performance in BR. Perception is a mother because when I see his work in Returns I see a very layered and nuanced performance from Keaton. He says so much without saying anything at all in that flick. So to me that is a very effective performance; far from a phoned in one.

So thrilled Michael is receiving such praise for his role in Birdman, along with best actor awards. I'm really hoping he wins the Oscar.

What? Wut?!

EDIT: So it's less "I'd do Batman again" and more "I'm an actor and open to lots of things".

As much as I geeked out over this scene as a kid it's still somewhat unfortunate this was the closest we ever got of a crossover between Reeve's Superman and Keaton's Batman on film.
[YT]aENqMnqx18o[/YT]

Michael Keaton's Batman Would Never Cry Like Spider-Man
[YT]0GkJSjOxD4U[/YT]

While I’m not a big fan of Keaton’s Batman, I did like how mysterious and distant he was, it fit the seemingly supernatural part of Batman.

While I’m not a big fan of Keaton’s Batman, I did like how mysterious and distant he was, it fit the seemingly supernatural part of Batman.
The best part of this was during the 'descent into mystery'. Vicki asking questions and Batman saying nothing, staring ahead and driving faster. Such a mysterious (ha, fancy that) and powerful moment.

If this happened back in the day with an updated superman suit.

^Now that's a Batman/Superman crossover movie I'd rushed to see if it ever got made.

Keaton wouldn't do it but it's a nice head canon all the same. So glad he's getting his dues for his brilliant acting and for Spotlight taking home Best Picture at the Oscars.

Just found out about this Spider-Man: Homecoming eyes Michael Keaton for villain role
Entertainment Weekly said:
First he was Batman, then he was Birdman, and now he’s looking to take down Spider-Man. Michael Keaton is in early talks to play a villainous role in Spider-Man: Homecoming, the superhero reboot from Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios, a person familiar with the project confirmed to EW.

Details have yet to emerge about which member of Spidey’s rogues gallery Keaton would play. Should he land the role, he’ll star opposite Tom Holland as Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, and Zendaya in an unknown role.

Jon Watts (Cop Car) is directing Homecoming from a script by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein. The project is a collaboration between Sony, which long ago licensed the character of Spider-Man for use on film, and Marvel, which has since developed an interconnected universe of superhero movies. Holland is also portraying the character in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War.

For his part, Keaton looms large in modern superhero moviedom: He helped lay the blueprint for the genre with Batman and Batman Returns in the late ’80s and early ’90s, and more recently earned an Oscar nomination skewering the popularity of such films in Birdman.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is scheduled to swing into theaters July 7, 2017.

Variety first reported Keaton’s potential casting.

Not sure how I feel about this. I guess his renewed interest in another superhero franchise has to do with working with the director Jon Watts.

Keaton is no longer in talks for Spider-Man: Homecoming and has left the project.

Deadline said:
Sony Pictures’ reboot of Spider-Man will include Iron Man himself, Robert Downey Jr., as it ramps up ahead of production ahead of a July 2017 release date. But the news today comes as Michael Keaton, who was being courted to play the villain in the pic, has fallen out of early talks and won’t be a part of the project. That had been a juicy idea as it would have put the onetime Batman star in a Spidey movie, but we’re told this is not happening and the search continues to fill the role.

Good. I feel like Keaton dodged a bullet there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"