Batman '89 The Michael Keaton Appreciation Thread

Keaton isn't a fan of the character. Never has been, never would be. That's why he doesn't see 'em. He doesn't even care about the legacy. He's not a comic/superhero type of guy.

He looked at his collaboration with Tim as the bodies of work unto themselves, not really caring anything about the legacy beyond that of the movies.

Well that confirms of my hopes getting Keaton doing The Dark Knight Returns live action. I love Burtons Batman & Nolan but doesn't mean actors who played in Burtons Schumachers & Nolans gotta love each others work. I will still like Keaton as Batman in Burton films my opinion not gonna change by that comment.

The mere fact that the chances of that ever happening went from 0% to 0.000001% is enough to give me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

The mere fact that the chances of that ever happening went from 0% to 0.000001% is enough to give me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I'm the same.

I think it's the whole childhood nostalgia thing. I wore my Batman '89 and Returns videos out as a kid and always wanted to see more from Keaton. I know it'll never happen... but the notion that it could, is always a fun prospect.

A shame after B&R they didn't go to Burton and say you were right we were wrong and have them revive batman.The closest that came is a proposed Keaton as batman cameo In Burton's superman film.

The new thing we learned about the propsed batman III Is It would have gone into Batman's past.

Batman III Is one of lost great opportinets In films.

Some might like a ruenion of burton and Keaton for a dark Knight returns or Batman Beyond adaptian but Warner Brthers wouldn't even consider it.They expect everyone to just forget about Batman and batman Returns

Bruce Wayne is the mask, that's what Keaton got right. He could also become Batman with a look. When Penguin rose from the waters behind him in Batman Returns, Keaton quickly turns to look behind him, his eyes becoming Batman at that moment.

Last edited:

I'm the same.

I think it's the whole childhood nostalgia thing. I wore my Batman '89 and Returns videos out as a kid and always wanted to see more from Keaton. I know it'll never happen... but the notion that it could, is always a fun prospect.

Yes! We're finally going to get Keatonman Returns directed by Tim Burton, guys!!!:wow: Woohoo!:highfive: with new music by Prince...

Birdman is receiving great reviews - I'll see it for Keaton.

Glad to see Keaton/Burton are as loyal together as ever. I'm sure a third Batman won't happen with them (especially now with the shared universe happening), but even so, the fact he said this makes me happy.

The only way this could work out is if, in several years from now, they do a Batman Beyond. WB would never just go back to Burton for a random Batman movie and Keaton will be too old to actually suit up. But we all know they're constantly thinking about Beyond every single time they have to reboot. After Affleck (Justice League #2 in 2020??) they will no doubt consider Michael for Beyond. It seems logical because of his age, wanting to play Bruce and not so much Batman, that they would ask him. The only thing that sounds off, is im not sure if Tim or WB would want to work together again on this character. I guarantee they end up having a different director in mind.

Anyways, sounds like a dream.

A shame after B&R they didn't go to Burton and say you were right we were wrong and have them revive batman.The closest that came is a proposed Keaton as batman cameo In Burton's superman film.
The studio weren't too pleased with Batman Returns, which was a full-on Burton project without studio interference. That's why they went to Shumacher and didn't ask Burton back after B & R. In their mind it was the same continuity, and it ran its course. To them Burton and Shumacher failed with their second films so they went a different direction.

Keaton's still my favorite live action Bruce Wayne / Batman.

I really love Keaton in Pacific Heights. It's cool to see him as a non-heroic psycho.

I saw Birdman, loved the film.

Ending wasn't great though, he flies off out of the widow. that's it.

I saw Birdman, loved the film.

Ending wasn't great though, he flies off out of the widow. that's it.

Me too. I thought Keaton was gonna give a performance serious enough to make you say, Oh, this guy knows drama. But he was in a complete different level. I don't trust the Academy, they've done enough insane choices and snubs in the past, but it'd be cool if he won.

Not saying Keaton's performance was bad but h's done pretty good films before Birdman and I never seen him nominated let alone win a Oscar. If he wins then it'd great to have him in the list of Batman actors winning a Oscar.

Last edited:
Not saying Keaton's performance was bad but h's done pretty good films before Birdman and I never seen him nominated let alone win a Oscar. If he wins then it'd great to have him in the list of Batman actors winning a Oscar.

Sure, he's a fine actor and all, but I had never seen him at this level. I have seen lots of good acting from him, but nothing this good and intense. There's a bunch of movies he's in I haven't seen though, so I can't tell 100% sure.

I would welcome Keaton back as Batman but without Burton, since Burton obviously doesn't care about Batman. He could decide the villain will be Calendar man and give 90% of screen time to him.

I would welcome Keaton back as Batman but without Burton, since Burton obviously doesn't care about Batman. He could decide the villain will be Calendar man and give 90% of screen time to him.

Heh, Keaton probably cares the same about Batman as Burton, obviously both have the same approach to the character. And Riddler, Two-Face or Scarecrow seem what Burton would choose over Calendar Man. Calendar Man is more of a Schumacher choice. :funny: Cheers.

As a long-time Michael Keaton fan, this is all very gratifying for me. So happy for him.

Boy, that was emotional. I'm so happy he's getting all this much deserved recognition and awards success.

I doubt he'll win the BAFTA, but I'm truly hoping the Academy swings in his favour.

Plus, I'm loving all the twitter reactions about people fancying Michael's son, Sean. :hehe:

Dare I say...Sean actually has more of a Bruce Wayne look to him than his old man!

I remember seeing him in that Herbie movie and wondering what happened. Never quit, Michael Keaton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"