"We didn't want to make a cerebral movie", says Leterrier

?? I can believe, whatever I want. In fact, if you read back in my post you will see I clearly said "In my opinion". Yes, I think Marvel is being strategic. Whether it will be successful...I never claimed to know that, but you seem to feel that you do.
So why can't my opinion be that I don't like this method of marketing? When did I ever say it wouldn't be successful?

I don't recall ever saying that.
Then I suggest you read your post again.
You were the one that automatically claimed that it is the wrong approach, without knowing any better. And that was my point.
Did I? Care to point out where?

Interjecting his cerebral thoughts.....

I actually liked the cerebrals of Ang' Hulk film and for the most part the Hulk, except for his size and color, the fact he got bigger as he got angry, and the fact that he barely spoke. I hated that, other than those things I thought the movie was good, just not what I wanted to see from a Hulk film. I think that when doing the Hulk right, there are certain aspect that one can't get away from but yet, you don't have to beat to death. IMO, Hulk is more than Banner's Id, he's a mixture of Banner' mind i.e Id, Ego, Super-ego and soul corrupted. That being known is enough, for a movie. With a few tweaking's, wallah, you can explain other Hulk personalities and even why other gamma beings come out the way they do, using that logic, because it's a fantasy world.

I think Ang took it to serious and lost the fun aspect. Yes Banner is tragic but he is also hopeful and kind, at least most of the time. I did like the father's story and his revelation as to what he was attempting to do as it fell in line with what I believe that the Hulk is, Banner's incorporeal spirit/soul self, manifested on a physical plane, only corrupted, because in the manner in which he 'stole fire from the gods' i.e. his metaphor for Prometheus, thus being cursed (Thank you Peter David for the "The End" story.) Now the father trying to break "God's" barrier;s to tap into man's innate power was brilliant. The fact that he pretty much put in himself all the different creatures of nature into his experiments in order to gain their talents was also brilliant. But at the end of the day I was left wanting...wanting to see the Hulk smash and talk trash. DAMN!!!!

Right here

Is that not your implication? Am I missing something here? :huh:
That was my response to you saying that because the marketing was different from last time, fanboys shouldn't complain. I was commenting on that, not the marketing itself. I thought I already made that clear.

Prefix said different doesn't make it better but nor did he say it makes it worse, not taking sides, just pointing that out.

Prefix said different doesn't make it better but nor did he say it makes it worse, not taking sides, just pointing that out.

And I agree with that. In fact, my point was that we don't know if it is better or not yet, so not to jump to rash judgement. So if that is his only point, I guess we essentially agree. If that's it, it was a misleading analogy that he provided that I had to fight through to understand that.

I think they could have built off Lee's film without saying it was a sequel to that film.

Think about it.

When this new film starts...

Banner is already the Hulk.
It's been years since his exposure.
Instead of making Nolte the bad guy, Bruce was the one trying to come up with a super soldier.

What did he think the military was going to do with it?

The scene is the script at Betty's school is not good.

"Stop a second." Betty stops the car. "What were we doing here?" Huh? It's prety clear, Bruce.

This script makes Bruce either the bad guy...or a moron. The blame should stay on David/Nolte. If you look at Ang's, he was trying to come up with a super soldier of a kind. Ross seemed against it then, but have him reevaluate that belief. It is clear he has in this script.
That's all the tie to Lee's film that you need.

Build off of Lee's movie in the sense that he's already been exposed, he's Hulk now...and he's on the run. Then we could lose those silly, darn near stupid flashbacks that deal with Hulk's origin in this script. Keep the flashbacks of some of the things/incidents that have occured since he's been on the run.

By the way, you have to have read the script to follow along. If you haven't, skip this post. :yay:

I think they could have built off Lee's film without saying it was a sequel to that film.

Think about it.

When this new film starts...

Banner is already the Hulk.
It's been years since his exposure.
Instead of making Nolte the bad guy, Bruce was the one trying to come up with a super soldier.

What did he think the military was going to do with it?

The scene is the script at Betty's school is not good.

"Stop a second." Betty stops the car. "What were we doing here?" Huh? It's prety clear, Bruce.

This script makes Bruce either the bad guy...or a moron. The blame should stay on David/Nolte. If you look at Ang's, he was trying to come up with a super soldier of a kind. Ross seemed against it then, but have him reevaluate that belief. It is clear he has in this script.
That's all the tie to Lee's film that you need.

Build off of Lee's movie in the sense that he's already been exposed, he's Hulk now...and he's on the run. Then we could lose those silly, darn near stupid flashbacks that deal with Hulk's origin in this script. Keep the flashbacks of some of the things/incidents that have occured since he's been on the run.

By the way, you have to have read the script to follow along. If you haven't, skip this post. :yay:

I don't see how this makes bruce the bad guy, he was afterall building a gamma bomb in the comics, did that make him a bad guy?

Well, I sort of think so.

In the Lee film, he is a victim of his father's mistakes. It makes him more of a tragic figure in my opinion. The sins of the father...and all that.

But to each his own.

In the Lee film, he is a victim of his father's mistakes. It makes him more of a tragic figure in my opinion. The sins of the father...and all that.

But to each his own.

I agree with this, but I also like it the other way as well, I like the cockiness of it, the whole "stealing from the gods" scenario, just like the CB, where his arrogance put him in this position. Building something that's not for the good of mankind, and in weird twists of fate, becoming the physical embodiment of that himself...

That's why this film is closer to the comics: Banner is a flawed hero himself. Just observe Peter Sanderson's analysis of the film compared to comic book canon:

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/428/428813p1.html

Using flashbacks showing Banner injecting himself with a super-soldier formula is fine from a canon point-of-view though, because at the end of the day, Banner's father is still what makes the Hulk what he is: a raging child lashing out at an abusive world.

I agree with this, but I also like it the other way as well, I like the cockiness of it, the whole "stealing from the gods" scenario, just like the CB, where his arrogance put him in this position. Building something that's not for the good of mankind, and in weird twists of fate, becoming the physical embodiment of that himself...

That's why this film is closer to the comics: Banner is a flawed hero himself. Just observe Peter Sanderson's analysis of the film compared to comic book canon:

Using flashbacks showing Banner injecting himself with a super-soldier formula is fine from a canon point-of-view though, because at the end of the day, Banner's father is still what makes the Hulk what he is: a raging child lashing out at an abusive world.

Good points, fellas. Good points. :yay:

I swear, that article right there articulates why the Hulk is the most interesting character to come from a comic book IMO, not to mention the fact that it explains everything that I think was wrong with Ang's film. It wasn't the serious tone, it was the unnecessary tinkering with his size and origin, the Hulk should be serious, even in the CB, his whole creation deals with very serious things...

But to each his own.

Wow....you and I agree here

Look I always thought ANgs film played off of the pre merged Hulk writing which was INCREADIBLE in my opinion.

the idea that both the Gray and green Hulks were....splits of Bruces personality locked away and then given a mutated life after the accident.

Bruce had all of those issues in Angs film, cerebral..yes..well done yes Ross's line about "More repressed Memories" said it all.

Also in the directors cut there is a brief Highschool bruce sceane showing a small hint of the Gray Hulk...Bruce and his inability to deal with women in general.

Green represented the child in Bruce.with his father abusive and dangerous

Gray was another split a teenager who wanted Bruce to act on all of those teenage emotions but Bruce never did.

Louis Leterrier's work looks amazing. His action sequences are really explosive. The guy being thrown through the glass, Banner running through the alley, Banner falling out the plane. I love the mood of what was shown so far. Double L will prove to all the disbelievers that he's as talented as they come.

I want a hulk smash movie not the same old boring talky movie with only1 or 2 action scenes especially a hulk movie.
But the audiences appreciate movies with actual depth in a story and character development. It was one of the biggest complaints with Spider-Man 3...

All the action will be worthless if they don't make it mean something...The first Hulk movie was just off balance in this respect and Spider-Man 3 went off the other direction.

They need to find the right balance. Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2 were pretty close to this balance.

-TNC

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"