"We didn't want to make a cerebral movie", says Leterrier

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22077

With a new trailer imminent and the actual movie less than four months away, Universal has provided us with two exclusive new shots from The Incredible Hulk, which both appear in the new issue of Empire, on sale from Friday. You can click the images below for a closer look.

The first image shows Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, on the verge of some major hulking out. The second gives the first look at William Hurt as General Ross.

We also spoke to the director Louis Letterier, who filled us in on what to expect from the return of the big green meanie.

"We didn't want to make a cerebral movie," he says of comparisons to Ang Lee's earlier film. "We wanted full action, Hulk smashing stuff up. But Ed Norton's script has given Bruce's story real gravitas – Marvel has always made their superhero movies with great actors to make it tangible and Ed has nailed it here. Admittedly, I'm not the most adult director, but just because we're making a superhero movie, it doesn't just have to appeal to 13-year-old boys. Ed and I both see superheroes as the new Greek gods, so there's a classical undercurrent to Bruce's psycho-drama. It's Prometheus, Pandora's Box, Hercules...but with explosions!" That's what we always felt was missing in the Greek myths.

"We didn't want to make a cerebral movie," he says of comparisons to Ang Lee's earlier film. "We wanted full action, Hulk smashing stuff up. But Ed Norton's script has given Bruce's story real gravitas – Marvel has always made their superhero movies with great actors to make it tangible and Ed has nailed it here. Admittedly, I'm not the most adult director, but just because we're making a superhero movie, it doesn't just have to appeal to 13-year-old boys. Ed and I both see superheroes as the new Greek gods, so there's a classical undercurrent to Bruce's psycho-drama. It's Prometheus, Pandora's Box, Hercules...but with explosions!" That's what we always felt was missing in the Greek myths.

The bolded statements make me very very happy.

That little tidbit of the interview sounds GREAT! Hope the rest of the interview is as good, i'll be buyin this on friday, will read it on the plane during my flight to australia!

That little tidbit of the interview sounds GREAT! Hope the rest of the interview is as good, i'll be buyin this on friday, will read it on the plane during my flight to australia!

Well if you get a chance do fill us in, (if someone doesn't already.) I'd love to pick it up but unfortunately I don't even have a few bucks to spare :csad:

Nice new photos in that article as well. Good to see more than just the two Norton photos that we have been privy to, even if it is just another Norton and a William Hurt as Ross shot.

ross looks good...wish norton had a lil bit more meat on him or hair to go with his hulk persona.

ross looks good...wish norton had a lil bit more meat on him or hair to go with his hulk persona.

I actually think it works a little better if he's scrawny. It contrasts to when he hulks out.

I actually think it works a little better if he's scrawny. It contrasts to when he hulks out.

Agreed. The Bruce Banner I've always seen in the comics was always fairly slim.

I hope someone scans the rest of the interview, I liked that little bit from Leterrier a lot!

For much more on The Incredible Hulk, including Letterier on The Abomination, pick up the next issue of Empire this Friday.

Looks like things will be hopping here on Friday. I wonder how he plans on explaining Azombination.

Extra large shorts there on Norton / Banner.

Exactly. It's the very reason why Stan Lee had Ross and others refer to Banner as "Milksop", etc.

Good read, thanks for posting this. I agree with other posters, the fact that Norton is a little thin works well for when he changes into the HULK :woot: This movie is going to be great.

Banner never had meat on him, as others have said, it's supposed to be a drastic contrast.

Scrawny was done intentionally as we all know Ed has been buffed out for other roles.

NOV063170.jpg

bruce_banner_hulk.jpg

Honestly, Norton looks way more like the original Banner than Bana did.

I'm going to withhold judgement but to me it looks asif Norton IS banner, from everything I've read he really feels like he'll be the character and physically looks perfect. He could be the best translated character in a comic book movie, tobey's peter parker was good but the cockyness and humour of spidey didn't show alot. RDJ looks like he'll make a perfect Stark aswell, looking physically like him again, they're making very good choices of actors imo.

Looks like the perfect choice, as was said, this will really emphasize the contrast between Banner and Hulk.
The man is supposed to be a scientist, and even then he's got decent arms on him.

I like how they reassured us right away that although it wouldn't be a cerebral movie, it wasn't crafted for teens either. I'm sure Norton had a lot to do with that, and thank goodness.

The pictures are simply great.

Even so I think Sam Elliot was the perfect Ross (not saying Hurt will be bad or anything).

hmm that interviews tells me that there will not be enough action to satisy those who hated the first one.

I want a hulk smash movie not the same old boring talky movie with only1 or 2 action scenes especially a hulk movie.

Norton really does look like he is constipated. LOL

Those are AWESOME pics! My heart rate sped up a little bit when I caught word of new pics. Is that pathetic?

hmm that interviews tells me that there will not be enough action to satisy those who hated the first one.

I want a hulk smash movie not the same old boring talky movie with only1 or 2 action scenes especially a hulk movie.

And how do you get that out of the little blub that says it's not only for 13 year olds?

Do you not hear him say right out of the gate "We wanted a more action oriented film"? Yeesh.

Nice pics. I think Norton looks perfect as Banner, I love the emotion, and Hurt looks like an intimidating Ross. Good choices by Lou. I think this flick will rule especially with Louis Leterrier's comment about super hero movies just appealing to 13 year old boys, he's absolutely right. If you make a film that will appeal to a wide variety of viewers then a wide variety of viewers will come to watch it. Also the Prometheus and Pandora's box metaphors fit the Banner/Hulk relationship best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"