The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

They're both suspect sources. The difference being that, whether she's unhappy or not, the lead actor would never come out and publicly rumor monger like that. It's basically part of his job to say 'we're all psyched to be back together!' when doing interviews for the movie. So that's going to be his line no matter what.

Right....so you're willing to put faith in the words of a internet writer who has no credibility and who was clearly making assumptions versus the words of the main star who didn't even need to mention Natalie's thoughts/reactions to Alan Taylor's meetings with them if she was really unhappy; okay?

Hey guys, my brother's girlfriend's sister's roommate's cousin's co-worker goes to the same deli as Chris Hemsworth's neighbor and he told her that things are going absolutely horrible on the set of Thor 2. Chris is supposedly miserable and the studios are seriously considering releasing him from his contract and hiring his brother Liam to take up the role.

I'm writing this on the internet so it must be true. Discuss.

I don't believe the rumour but just to indulge it for a moment and say even if it were true, I'm glad Marvel would show some backbone and force her to do it. You see it a lot more in sport, where players sign 5 year contracts but then a year or 2 in they whinge their way to a transfer, and a club often wilts under pressure for fear of letting the player unsettle the dressing room. You don't want to do something? Tough luck to be honest, you shouldn't have signed a multi picture deal.

Again, let me qualify this by saying I don't believe the rumour and Portman by all accounts comes across as a good skin. :cwink: I'm just talking in general.

Yeah, I can agree with that. If there is any truth to the rumor, then it's good Marvel is sticking to their guns. I personally hope it's just internet bullsh** though because I really enjoyed Portman in the first film and I hope to see more of her in further installments beyond the sequel.

What's so annoying though is that regardless of whether or not this is true, it's all that was needed to stir up some diehards to start trashing the hell out of Portman. The comments people made over at CBM were just awful. And the thing is, I think most of these people only hated Portman in the role because they were so hard-up to see Thor get together with Sif because of the comics and such. And I do understand the desire to stay close to the source material. Unfortunately though, I think it can cause you to not even give an actor a fair shot (Portman) while simultaneously causing you to exalt some other questionable performer (Alexander) simply because you like one character better than the other.

Yeah, I can agree with that. If there is any truth to the rumor, then it's good Marvel is sticking to their guns. I personally hope it's just internet bullsh** though because I really enjoyed Portman in the first film and I hope to see more of her in further installments beyond the sequel.

I agree. A contract's a contract. And I have every reason to believe Portman is a professional who would honor her contract.

And I too would like to see Jane stay in the story!

What's so annoying though is that regardless of whether or not this is true, it's all that was needed to stir up some diehards to start trashing the hell out of Portman. The comments people made over at CBM were just awful. And the thing is, I think most of these people only hated Portman in the role because they were so hard-up to see Thor get together with Sif because of the comics and such. And I do understand the desire to stay close to the source material.

I had been thinking the same thing. It seemed that for some fraction of the folks saying, "I believe Natalie Portman has behaved poorly and I scorn her!", what they really meant was, "I believe Thor should be with Sif and I am disappointed that this has not yet come to pass!" But the thing is, tearing down Portman will not bring about the latter. If Portman were somehow successfully bullied into withdrawing from the project and Marvel had intended for Jane to stay in the story, they would simply recast the part. Moreover, the decision has been made already, and they are filming it as we type.

exalt some other questionable performer (Alexander) simply because you like one character better than the other.

Here I somewhat disagree. I had no problem with Alexander's performance. She didn't have much material to work with, so we weren't able to see much.

I think Portman will be a professional, no matter what's going on behind the scenes. She's been at this a very long time, for such a young lady. Not long ago I watched an interview of her around the time of the Professional. Seems like a sweet kid. I'm Not a Jane fan, more of a Sif fan but I can be objective and separate my feelings about her character's placement in the films and my feelings about the actress.

Right....so you're willing to put faith in the words of a internet writer who has no credibility and who was clearly making assumptions versus the words of the main star who didn't even need to mention Natalie's thoughts/reactions to Alan Taylor's meetings with them if she was really unhappy; okay?

How are you seriously still missing this? I challenge you to find where I said I believe the rumors. I said
Natalie Portman can go to hell, if the rumors are true about her not wanting to come back.

I don't know if the article is fact or fiction, but I can give my thoughts on either possibility.

As far as the Hemsworth thing, I'm not going to argue that any further. Actors are walking PR machines as part of their job.

I had been thinking the same thing. It seemed that for some fraction of the folks saying, "I believe Natalie Portman has behaved poorly and I scorn her!", what they really meant was, "I believe Thor should be with Sif and I am disappointed that this has not yet come to pass!" But the thing is, tearing down Portman will not bring about the latter. If Portman were somehow successfully bullied into withdrawing from the project and Marvel had intended for Jane to stay in the story, they would simply recast the part. Moreover, the decision has been made already, and they are filming it as we type.

Yeah, that's what I think it boils down to for most of these people. And really, that's not fair to Portman. You can't (or shouldn't) blame the actress because the script featured her character more than maybe it should have.

Here I somewhat disagree. I had no problem with Alexander's performance. She didn't have much material to work with, so we weren't able to see much.

Maybe I was too hard on Jaimie there... she might actually turn out to be good, but just based on that performance and a few other things I've seen her in, I'm kind of indifferent to her acting overall. But the way some people here talk about her, you'd think she should have won an Oscar for her role in Thor.

Please tell me this internet notion of Jane Foster getting magical powers is just a false rumor.

Last edited:
Please tell me this notion of Jane Foster getting magical powers is just a false rumor.

?? I haven't heard such a rumor. (I will note that I have heard and am discussing spoilers, but only in the spoilers thread.)

To run with the idea for a bit: if sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and she's a proficient scientist, well, who knows. . . . And that *could* address the issue of her being so powerless among such powerful beings.

But no, I haven't heard that.

Well, you know the internet rumor mill and what crazy things it can come up with every now and again.

I liked Portman as Jane in Thor. Then again I liked her in the SW prequels too.

I didn't. I wonder who she is going to be possessed by

I read some synopsis today, and I wonder how Jane will get to Asgard?

Same way Thor get's back to Asgard.

Thor will probably be able to open portals from asgard to earth

Same way Thor get's back to Asgard.

Thor will probably be able to open portals from asgard to earth

I'll post my reply in the spoilers thread. What I have to say involves spoilers, and I'm trying to honor one of the member's request to keep spoilers out of the other threads.

Last edited:
How are you seriously still missing this? I challenge you to find where I said I believe the rumors. I said

I don't know if the article is fact or fiction, but I can give my thoughts on either possibility.

As far as the Hemsworth thing, I'm not going to argue that any further. Actors are walking PR machines as part of their job.
Still, why would you even say she can go to hell? It's one thing to say "If the rumors are true, I'm very disappointed in Natalie Portman" but the way you worded it makes it sound like regardless of whether or not the rumors are true that you'd still feel the same way. I never would have said Anthony Hopkins can go to hell even if the rumors about him on the Thor set were true, let alone if they weren't.

Still, why would you even say she can go to hell? It's one thing to say "If the rumors are true, I'm very disappointed in Natalie Portman" but the way you worded it makes it sound like regardless of whether or not the rumors are true that you'd still feel the same way.

No. It doesn't. That's the whole point of qualifying a statement.

I still thought it was nice by the way on how Whedon and Marvel gave a explanation on what was going on with Jane in "The Avengers" considering on how it was established that she was someone important to Thor on Earth:

0.jpg

I still thought it was nice by the way on how Whedon and Marvel gave a explanation on what was going on with Jane in "The Avengers" considering on how it was established that she was someone important to Thor on Earth:

<cool screen shot deleted>

Yeah. _The Onion_ made fun of that plot twist as a new trope: "We put your girlfriend on an island". But it doesn't bother me that they did that. There was no room with everything else going on in The Avengers for Thor and Jane to meet up again. So it was better to just not have them interact in that film. And it was a reasonably creative explanation. (As I've said before, I think Jane would have known the consulting gig explanation was baloney, but likely also knew that bad stuff was about to happen and that sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.)

?? I haven't heard such a rumor. (I will note that I have heard and am discussing spoilers, but only in the spoilers thread.)

To run with the idea for a bit: if sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and she's a proficient scientist, well, who knows. . . . And that *could* address the issue of her being so powerless among such powerful beings.

But no, I haven't heard that.

I still am of the belief that there is some magic. Jane is just saying, "magic is just a science we don't understand yet", I think that is left for the audience to decide, cause that statement is coming from a scientist, so there will be a bit of bias, secondly, she hasn't been to asgard, nor know of their culture. And thor saying he comes from a place saying that science and magic are one in the same thing, that neither confirms OR denies magic.

Now sure we could go with the whole, advanced science thing, but come on lets think about it for a second. Odin, speaking the enchantment into Thor's hammer. Loki duplicating himself, the destroyer armor, which seemed a lot like an empty suit of armor.

Given that it hasn't really been *said* that asgardian magic *IS* advanced science, based on what we know of asgardian magic in the comics, and the fact that it hasn't been confirmed or denied in the mcu, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that magic exists in the mcu

I still am of the belief that there is some magic. Jane is just saying, "magic is just a science we don't understand yet", I think that is left for the audience to decide, cause that statement is coming from a scientist, so there will be a bit of bias, secondly, she hasn't been to asgard, nor know of their culture. And thor saying he comes from a place saying that science and magic are one in the same thing, that neither confirms OR denies magic.

Now sure we could go with the whole, advanced science thing, but come on lets think about it for a second. Odin, speaking the enchantment into Thor's hammer. Loki duplicating himself, the destroyer armor, which seemed a lot like an empty suit of armor.

Given that it hasn't really been *said* that asgardian magic *IS* advanced science, based on what we know of asgardian magic in the comics, and the fact that it hasn't been confirmed or denied in the mcu, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that magic exists in the mcu

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. The evidence is rather equivocal in the movies. It's hard to explain some of the stuff we see in the movies purely in technical terms.

But, oh, I would dearly love to know what their stance is!!

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. The evidence is rather equivocal in the movies. It's hard to explain some of the stuff we see in the movies purely in technical terms.

But, oh, I would dearly love to know what their stance is!!

I suppose, but I am okay with what we are at, and I bet it won't be adressed, sorta to keep it more realistic, leaving it for the audience to decide. But as far as I am concerned, its magic :word:

No reason it can't be both science ( rationally understood and exploited by the asgardians ) and magic ( power derived from non-technological means that involves non-standard physical laws ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"