The New Infidelity

SoulManX

The Inspector!
Reaction score
Let’s get something straight: You are not some fedora-tipping Man of the House who comes home from the office expecting the rump roast to be on the table. Nor are you an aging frat boy who sits in front of the flat-screen with an Icehouse while wifey irons your Red Wings jersey. You are sensitive. You were raised by a working woman. You wipe down the counters after you make the kids’ lunches. No decent woman would cheat on a man like that, right?

That’s what Rob (not his real name) thought, anyway. The 41-year-old financial analyst had a house in the D.C. suburbs, two kids, and in his own words, a “goody-two-shoes” wife from a nice Catholic family.

Last fall, Rob’s wife began to seem depressed, “like something was bothering her and she wouldn’t tell me what it was,” he says. In December, after stumbling across some e-mails, Rob found out exactly what was bothering his wife: She had reconnected with an old flame. She’d been reconnecting with him for five months.
“It’s far worse than you can possibly imagine,” he says. “It’s like, What the ****? The person you thought you married isn’t that person anymore.”

The tired old paradigm of the buttoned-up father who comes home late with the secretary’s Revlon on his collar has reached the end of its shelf life. Statistics vary, but it doesn’t look good: According to a study published in the Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy in 2002, 55 percent of married women engage in extramarital sex at some time during their relationship (compared with 60 percent of men).

And here’s a far scarier number: After interviewing more than a hundred adulterous wives for her 2001 book A Passion for More, Susan Shapiro Barash found that 90 percent of them didn’t feel guilty about doing it—they felt entitled to do it.

Somehow, the 21st-century husband’s noble attempt to be provider and nurturer—a Superdad duality his father probably never attempted—seems to have backfired. Rob is the perfect example. He grew up watching his dad’s philandering wreck his parents’ marriage and vowed not to make it a legacy, only to find himself a cuckold a generation later. And he didn’t suffer alone. He had a nice support network on the website survivinginfidelity.com of guys who had gone through the same thing. “It’s so common, I wonder how many affairs go undiscovered,” Rob says.

“There are a lot of reasons why women cheat now, and the simplest is that they can,” says Diane Shader Smith, the author of Undressing Infidelity: Why More Women Are Unfaithful. “Nowadays women have jobs. And if they’re home, there are gardeners, there are pool men. They have opportunities and they feel empowered.” They also feel sexual. And while your prowess with a Dyson is commendable, it’s hardly titillating.

Make no mistake: Women can be just as driven as men are in pursuit of a fling. One woman Smith met used cheating as a weight-loss incentive, telling herself that a certain guy would sleep with her if she dropped a particular number of pounds.

Once she succeeded, she was on to the next quarry. Another one waited for her husband’s Ambien to kick in so she could go across town for the night and be back by the time he awoke.

“Women have become, in many ways, as predatory as men,” says Judith Brandt, the author of The 50-Mile Rule: Your Guide to Infidelity and Extramarital Etiquette. And the prey is abundant. We grew up with the bejesus scared out of us by Anjelica Huston in Crimes and Misdemeanors and Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. The libido-withering moral was clear: It’s just not worth it, man.

But where’s the male equivalent? Your wife’s potential playmate probably has no interest in annexing your emotional territory.

http://men.style.com/details/features/full?id=content_5748&pageNum=2

It goes both ways with men and women. It doesn't matter if you know someone 1 year to 10 years, you won't ever fully know them. And if you want to get married, there's always a possibility that they can change and the the person you are with isn't the same one you got hitched to.

What sucks is most of the time, you won't know til it's too late. :down

It goes both ways with men and women. It doesn't matter if you know someone 1 year to 10 years, you won't ever fully know them. And if you want to get married, there's always a possibility that they can change and the the person you are with isn't the same one you got hitched to.

I found out very early last weekend:ninja:

BlackHardKnight said:
Statistics vary, but it doesn’t look good: According to a study published in the Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy in 2002, 55 percent of married women engage in extramarital sex at some time during their relationship (compared with 60 percent of men).

And here’s a far scarier number: After interviewing more than a hundred adulterous wives for her 2001 book A Passion for More, Susan Shapiro Barash found that 90 percent of them didn’t feel guilty about doing it—they felt entitled to do it.
Jesus Damn.

I love my wife, but I trust her no more than I trust this man:
george-w-bush-pictures-turkey.jpg

;)

still planning on getting hitched to your gf?

You can't live your life, thinking everyone you meet is going to let you down one day. If they do, you have to make the most of it. That's life.

That is where the concept of the pre-nup comes into play. Some love it, others basically say it's assuming the marriage is going to fail at some point.

God. I hate humanity.:csad:

It seems that anything to do with human connection is less accepted than a guy with heads in his fridge.:csad:

what I've seen is that very few people wants to compromise, yet, they all want everything in return

Yep - been there, done that. :csad:

After interviewing more than a hundred adulterous wives for her 2001 book A Passion for More, Susan Shapiro Barash found that 90 percent of them didn’t feel guilty about doing it—they felt entitled to do it.

Not suprised, women tend to think they are justified in every wrong doing they committ.

Not to say men are innocent but at least they usually just leave the relationship and go instead of constantly hurting the person.

That is where the concept of the pre-nup comes into play. Some love it, others basically say it's assuming the marriage is going to fail at some point.

Yep, because in this day and age....they do.

Makes me glad I am never gettting married....co-habitation without legal bindings will be fine.

Well, I'm no expert in the fields of marital counseling or even relationships at all, but here's my two cents.

Women and men both cheat, in my opinion, for one reason above all else: there's something missing in their marriage that they feel they need or want, and for whatever reason, they're not getting it from their spouse. It varies according to the couple of course, but generally speaking, I'd suspect the top four things lacking in today's marriages are Love, Trust, Committment, and Attention. Think about it...if any of these are out of balance, then one (or more) of them will drop like a rock in the relationship. They must remain completely in check, or the marriage is doomed to fail. That's one of many reason why I believe couples should genuinely think out the classic vows before you get married (even if you still choose to write your own, read the originals first).

By marrying someone, you are actually making a binding promise to remain by their side, as their spouse, for the rest of your lives. That's where the whole description comes in: "for better or worse, richer or poorer, sickness or in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live". However, most folks don't want to think about the worse, the poorer, the sickness, or anything else; they just want to be happy. Well, whether its in marriage or anything else, happiness is hard work, and in the end, it's more often a choice than an emotion. When you don't feel a certain way, its time to remember the promise you made...not to go chasing after someone else for a temporary fix.

I think the reason for the 90% not feeling guilty stat is because women seem to act out of scorn more so than guys do. While most guys who are willing or do cheat, do so simply out of the availability to, most women do so because their man has done something to make them feel empowered to act out.

I think the reason for the 90% not feeling guilty stat is because women seem to act out of scorn more so than guys do. While most guys who are willing or do cheat, do so simply out of the availability to, most women do so because their man has done something to make them feel empowered to act out.

The rule of thumb usually has been, if a guy does something stupid it's just him being stupid. If a girl does the same thing it's because she was pushed to it, which goes back to us being stupid. Go figure.

The rule of thumb usually has been, if a guy does something stupid it's just him being stupid. If a girl does the same thing it's because she was pushed to it, which goes back to us being stupid. Go figure.

There seems to be something missing from the article though, how many of these women feel or know thier husband is already cheating on them? There's a lot of scumbag guys out there who believe cheating is okay for a guy because it's their nature, which is bs, but maybe these women are cheating to get by at their husband, make him feel just as horrible as she did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"