A conversation elsewhere reminded me of this moment

s2Bx8Ht.gif

BuX7ISy.gif

lDsOlAs.gif

A conversation elsewhere reminded me of this moment

s2Bx8Ht.gif

BuX7ISy.gif

lDsOlAs.gif
This, and the moment that follows after where he briefly turns on Vicki is one of my favorite moments in the film. It’s one of the few times I can think of where a live action Batman film addresses his sanity. I know Sam Hamm (screenwriter) and Burton both approached Bruce as a character that’s deeply disturbed and out of his mind. Throughout the film you see his insanity bubble to the surface a few times.

This, and the moment that follows after where he briefly turns on Vicki is one of my favorite moments in the film. It’s one of the few times I can think of where a live action Batman film addresses his sanity. I know Sam Hamm (screenwriter) and Burton both approached Bruce as a character that’s deeply disturbed and out of his mind. Throughout the film you see his insanity bubble to the surface a few times.
I love that Keaton successfully read into the subtlety of things and brought it to the surface. If it somehow turned out that he made things on the go that would actually be more impressive.

I saw the set photos of Keaton's new suit in Batgirl. It's beautiful. Finally a cowl that looks threatening again.
I wonder if the angry eye brows in the cowl design had a hand in that. It always looked awesome to me.

With the reveal of Keaton's new suit, I went on an 89 binge watching my favorite clips. Now one of my absolute favorite moments is when Batman first appears at Axis Chemicals. First off the music as Batman descends is so powerful. It really elevates the whole thing and turns into a "oh **** there he is!" moment.

But there is something I realized for the first time. When Batman appears infront of the two gangsters, he grabs his grappling hook launcher, and callously fires it into the shoulder of one of the poor gangsters. Batman proceeds to yank the cable and pull the poor bastard over the rail guard and hang him, from his shoulder.

Let's think about that for a second. The hook that was launched into his shoulder is 3 pronged and looks to be razor sharp. And he is hanging from that hook, which is embedded in his body. All his weight pulling him down.

This is why Gotham City was terrified of Batman after only being active FOR A MONTH.

This movie oozes atmorphere in a way no other Batman movie has made it. And after rewatching this and Returns this week, I guess I prefer 89. Returns is a better polished movie, but this is a classic super hero adventure and the roughness even works for most of the parts.

'89 has this mythic, gothic fairy tale quality to it that no other entry has. There's a generality and vagueness to its plot that makes it feel like an old folk legend that's been passed down through the ages via oral tradition. A wrathful creature of the night brutally murders criminals and wrongdoers, and the townsfolk willingly accepts him as their vengeful saviour. There's something so very delightfully archaic about the way it's executed, with all the townsfolk gathering in the city square to hear the Batman's victorious pronouncements, etc.

Last edited:
Why is this kind of box set always so poorly designed? Any graphic designer can put this together in 15 minutes, really...
Take the movie poster or just let an artist come up with something objectively much more exciting...

EXxXiC-WsAApjd7

I can't tell you how frustrated I am that 99% of the fan art related to B89 uses traced art of the Hot Toys figure...

I can't tell you how frustrated I am that 99% of the fan art related to B89 uses traced art of the Hot Toys figure...
Haha! I know exactly what you’re talking about, it’s so obvious. It’s like they Google “Michael Keaton Batman” and just draw the first image that pops up. There are plenty of great behind the scenes photos of Keaton as Batman for the 1989 film but people rarely use them nowadays.

Another thing that bugs me is fan art for the 89 film using photos from Batman Returns.

This movie oozes atmorphere in a way no other Batman movie has made it. And after rewatching this and Returns this week, I guess I prefer 89. Returns is a better polished movie, but this is a classic super hero adventure and the roughness even works for most of the parts.

Something I love about this movie is the tone. It’s my ideal tone for a Batman film. It’s a dark, grim world but it still has a sense of fun and adventure to it. No other Batman film for me has that same tone, not even Returns. The only other adaptations I’ve seen replicate that tone have been TAS and the Arkham series. Currently the films seem more focused on becoming darker and darker.

An underrated Bruce Wayne moment in this film is when he's trying to describe to Vicki what he thinks of as a 'normal life', and all his reference points seem to be nothing but these overly chipper Saturday morning cereal commercials, further emphasising just how little he knows about what being 'normal' entails.

Has anyone been reading the Batman ‘89 comic? There’s only one issue left and I feel like nothing has really happened in it besides Harvey becoming Two-Face, and even then it has only JUST begun.
Kind of bummed out it doesn’t have a stronger story.

The art is cool, but not much going on besides that

Has anyone been reading the Batman ‘89 comic? There’s only one issue left and I feel like nothing has really happened in it besides Harvey becoming Two-Face, and even then it has only JUST begun.
Kind of bummed out it doesn’t have a stronger story.

The art is cool, but not much going on besides that

It's been hugely disappointing, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"