Civil War The Official Captain America: Civil War News & Speculation Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
hawkeyeiconic3.jpg

:woot:

The Russo's are big comic fans so I hope they take the opportunity to show this in CW. They took great comic moments and included them in TWS brilliantly (I loved the 'who the hell is Bucky' moment).

What if Hawkeye and Ant-Man are on different sides? Then there won't be any shooting him off an arrow.

One character I'm hoping they make time for is Rhodey.

I really like Cheadle, but everything he's been given since IM2-- which btw I think he did best in out of all his appearances - just hasn't been worth the time. He was weird in IM3 (Shane Black's humor was awfully represented through everyone in that film, though), and somehow Whedon wrote him the same in AoU. Despite having a better-yet smaller role.

The whole "in the Russos we trust thing" will continue eating this thread up, but I really hope that applies here.

What if Hawkeye and Ant-Man are on different sides? Then there won't be any shooting him off an arrow.

You'd have to assume that both sides will band together to face a common enemy in the end. So even if Scott and Clint are on opposing sides they may have a team up moment.

You'd have to assume that both sides will band together to face a common enemy in the end. So even if Scott and Clint are on opposing sides they may have a team up moment.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think people may be setting themselves up for disappointment by using TWS as a yardstick for CW. I want a good movie as much as anyone, but taking what is clearly one of the best MCU movies and expecting another to live up to it is, well, it's probably not the best way to enjoy a movie. I try to just let each movie speak for itself; although I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes rating them after the fact. I LOVED GotG and it's really hard not to expect GotG II to be better or as good, but I'm trying.

I posted pics of some of my old Avengers comics from the mid-sixties on the Avengers thread and got a lot of viewers. I have some old Tales of Suspense comics featuring CA and IM from the same time frame. When I get a chance I'll add them to my website and let people know when I do. Tales to Astonish with Ant/Giant Man too.

EDIT: After this summer, it's going to be a loooooooooong drought for us between MCU movies. I'm gonna be Jonesing really bad by next spring.

Last edited:
I will eat my hat if I'm wrong but I really don't think Spider-Man is gonna be a major concern screentime wise.

I think your right.

Given everything potentially going on in the movie I struggle to see how they could fit in a large role for a teenage Spidey. I think Spidey will probably get an action sequence and interact with some heroes but I don't think he is getting a ton of screen time or is going to be particularly central to the overall plot.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think people may be setting themselves up for disappointment by using TWS as a yardstick for CW. I want a good movie as much as anyone, but taking what is clearly one of the best MCU movies and expecting another to live up to it is, well, it's probably not the best way to enjoy a movie. I try to just let each movie speak for itself; although I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes rating them after the fact. I LOVED GotG and it's really hard not to expect GotG II to be better or as good, but I'm trying.

If the Russo's maintain the quality of writing, character development, action sequences etc. that we saw in TWS then CW will be a great movie. It will be a different movie but many sequels that have contrasted from their predecessor have been brilliant in their own right (original Star Wars trilogy, Alien/Aliens, Indianna Jones trilogy etc.). If Gunn maintains the same care he had for his characters and story then GOTG2 will be great as well. Marvel also need to learn from the mistakes of AoU of which there were many.

Problems start when you have blind faith. Many fans are stating 'in the Russo's we trust' like they did for Whedon and AoU which is a mistake imo. The Russo's worked well with Marvel before and I hope they can recreate the same magic again.

I think your right.

Given everything potentially going on in the movie I struggle to see how they could fit in a large role for a teenage Spidey. I think Spidey will probably get an action sequence and interact with some heroes but I don't think he is getting a ton of screen time or is going to be particularly central to the overall plot.

Then why bother with him?

I understand that not evey character can have a lot of screen time but shouldn't they all he important to the plot to some degree? Otherwise it's just fan fare.

If the Russo's maintain the quality of writing, character development, action sequences etc. that we saw in TWS then CW will be a great movie. It will be a different movie but many sequels that have contrasted from their predecessor have been brilliant in their own right (original Star Wars trilogy, Alien/Aliens, Indianna Jones trilogy etc.). If Gunn maintains the same care he had for his characters and story then GOTG2 will be great as well. Marvel also need to learn from the mistakes of AoU of which there were many.

Problems start when you have blind faith. Many fans are stating 'in the Russo's we trust' like they did for Whedon and AoU which is a mistake imo. The Russo's worked well with Marvel before and I hope they can recreate the same magic again.

All true, but those are big "ifs". The thing about a movie like GotG (and TWS for that matter) is that there is a confluence of events that all feed into making a great movie (or at least a very good one). Using GotG as an example....

The casting was terrific. The script was really strong. The soundtrack....well....I went around humming half of the songs for days after seeing the movie. The cinematography was better (IMO) than any other Marvel movie. It had a fresh, lighthearted feel to it and the self deprecating humor worked really, really well.

Peter Quill: There's one other name you might know me by... Star Lord.
Korath the Pursuer: ...Who?
Peter Quill: [disappointed] Star-Lord, man! The legendary outlaw? [Korath simply shrugs] Guys?

To me, that's like catching lightning in a bottle. In the follow up, I don't know if it's going to be possible to keep that fresh feel. The upside is that now that we know and like the characters, it'll be like meeting old friends. It'll almost have to be a very different movie (not a bad thing) and I'm trying to manage my expectations and just let the movie unfold on its own rather than compare it to what is maybe my favorite MCU movie.

A similar rant could be made regarding the movies TWS and CW. TWS (the person and not the movie) brought SO much to the screen and the relationship between CA and TWS was a linchpin for the movie. Keeping all of those things that fell into place for the first movies is going to be really tough and sometimes these things are out of your control.

All true, but those are big "ifs". The thing about a movie like GotG (and TWS for that matter) is that there is a confluence of events that all feed into making a great movie (or at least a very good one). Using GotG as an example....

The casting was terrific. The script was really strong. The soundtrack....well....I went around humming half of the songs for days after seeing the movie. The cinematography was better (IMO) than any other Marvel movie. It had a fresh, lighthearted feel to it and the self deprecating humor worked really, really well.

Peter Quill: There's one other name you might know me by... Star Lord.
Korath the Pursuer: ...Who?
Peter Quill: [disappointed] Star-Lord, man! The legendary outlaw? [Korath simply shrugs] Guys?

To me, that's like catching lightning in a bottle. In the follow up, I don't know if it's going to be possible to keep that fresh feel. The upside is that now that we know and like the characters, it'll be like meeting old friends. It'll almost have to be a very different movie (not a bad thing) and I'm trying to manage my expectations and just let the movie unfold on its own rather than compare it to what is maybe my favorite MCU movie.

A similar rant could be made regarding the movies TWS and CW. TWS (the person and not the movie) brought SO much to the screen and the relationship between CA and TWS was a linchpin for the movie. Keeping all of those things that fell into place for the first movies is going to be really tough and sometimes these things are out of your control.

So many sequels try and simply copy the first and fail because it's stale. best not to try and copy OR outdo...just tell a good story and keep the tone

Great quality is the main thing. Nothing wrong with changing the style/tone each film, just make sure it delivers the goods.

"Quality" is so vague though. what is it that really made TWS a success? (and TFA IMO...both really great films. Cap's story is so far the most solid)

"Quality" is so vague though. what is it that really made TWS a success? (and TFA IMO...both really great films. Cap's story is so far the most solid)

Well to me personally for TWS, which imo is the best MCU film, it's that it was fun while keeping a relatively serious tone, the action was great, the characters were good and not annoying, and the villains were good.

Ive been saying that's what the MCU films should be aiming for Winter Soldier and the first Iron Man. Those are near perfect superhero movies to me.

The plot was more interesting/complex than your average CBM, it was paced very well, it successfully builds on what came before, etc.

I don't think AoU had too many mistakes. Thought the movie was great.

Yeah my only desire from aou was a little more screen time. But i think civil war may really be something special .

Well "Quality" as in not a piece of boring crap :)

I think the key to the Russo's and Gunn's success in their movies was due to how they took the best elements from the comics and merged this with their own ideas. There are many excellent comic writers so why ignore this source material?

But their film making skills were also excellent for these movies - good script, great pacing, excellent character development (including relationships), brilliant choreography of action scenes etc.

For example, they treated the conclusion of the Cap/Peggy romance with respect while also introducing the idea of a future romance with Agent 13 - wonderful example of great writing/directing. Can they beat TWS or the 'I'm with you until the end of the line moment'? I don't know but I hope they can.

One character I'm hoping they make time for is Rhodey.

I really like Cheadle, but everything he's been given since IM2-- which btw I think he did best in out of all his appearances - just hasn't been worth the time. He was weird in IM3 (Shane Black's humor was awfully represented through everyone in that film, though), and somehow Whedon wrote him the same in AoU. Despite having a better-yet smaller role.

The whole "in the Russos we trust thing" will continue eating this thread up, but I really hope that applies here.

I agree, I think War Machine has been treated primarily as a joke so far. Like "haha, he's a less good Iron Man, hilarious!" Stark not letting him suit up for the final fight in IM3, none of the Avengers taking him seriously in AoU, and then when it finally looks like his time to shine Vision swoops in out of nowhere and one ups him. Not the best track record.

War Machine didnt impress me that much in AOU. Its always like he shows up and says: "Yeah! War Machines here!" to get people excited. That might work for 5 year olds but when youre an adult you need more than just a CGI dude flying/saying stuff to make an impact.

So far he was used best in IM2 (everyones favorite sequel). I didnt mind Iron Patriot in IM3 actually.

Last edited:
I agree, I think War Machine has been treated primarily as a joke so far. Like "haha, he's a less good Iron Man, hilarious!" Stark not letting him suit up for the final fight in IM3, none of the Avengers taking him seriously in AoU, and then when it finally looks like his time to shine Vision swoops in out of nowhere and one ups him. Not the best track record.

Hopefully they get a better use out of him this time.

I do agree that it will be important in this one to keep the tone much like TWS. I think CW if done properly could be the greatest political allegory put to film. The X-men films had a start in this foray, but really in that film it's about one group trying to fight a bad law from within the system and another group who scoffs at the system because it's created by "inferior beings" and therefore should be ignored.

CW if presented right should be that there really is no right or wrong viewpoint, but in how each group gets so entrenched in their own position that they end up endangering everyone.

I liked Rhodey/WM the best in IM3, he was mostly annoying in IM2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"