The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
good question

I came up with this a while ago
superherohype6.jpg
It wasn't showing up for some reason, but it's fixed now.

BTW, that is an AWESOME crest! Great job!

thanks I wanted to make the Z logo work and not look obvious

I came up with a few but that was the best

Okay, let's talk about this...I would never be so insufferable a fan as to demand that Transformers never changes from what it originally started as...You know why I can accept that Optimus Prime can have different designs? Because its the same reason that I don't mind if Megatron is a gun, or a tank, or a T-Rex, or a giant mechanical dragon, or an alien space ship...Its because I recognize that the concept of Transformers is inherently silly... Optimus Prime might work better as a fire truck. And Superman has no reason to wear red trunks on the outside of his pants if he were to create the Superman persona in the summer of 2007 as is the current continuity in the comics, or in recent years according to the movie...I'm okay with that. Because it allows Superman to continue on in a new generation where people don't have the same tastes as young children did in the 30's and 40's. I'd rather see a few well done tweaks done to a character I like than hold onto him, clutching and screaming and crying that change is bad...

This is why the internet needs a slow-clap. Well said.

To kind of put a little twist on what SuperMike has said, what if a trunkless Superman was the original Superman back in 1938 and the suit for MOS had trunks included, would people be all up in arms like they are with today's version of Superman? Which I think, for the most part, the current MOS suit is accepted by most.

Sure, and a certain level of resistance is normal, that's just human nature - we resist change even when it's change to things we hate. If we didn't have attachments to fictional characters these boards wouldn't exist.

It's only when that resistiance is extreme and personal that I think taking a step back and gaining perspective helps. Really, pat yourself on the back if your main source of consternation today is what a drawing is depicted wearing. Broke or not, that's a "rich person's" problem - clearly, you've got that whole food/shelter/clothing/basic survival thing knocked, and now you're just bored :) Well, good, boredom can be a sign of prosperity, a good life. Better than wondering if you're gonna eat today or if a land-mind's buried along your walk home. We're lucky to have such trivial things to debate over, and this is trivial, all of it. OK, off my soap-box now, carry on :D

Last edited:
Ahh, the costume topic. Following the MOS production, two things were on my mind about the costume. One was the fear of them altering or ´´modernizing`` it to an unrecognizable extent and the other was the hope that, with Snyder on board (who likes to recreate the look of comics on screen and imo recreated the costumes in his CB movies very well) we would finally get the classic Superman costume that looks good on screen and works.

Unfortunately (or probably fortunately, overall) this is not entierly Snyder's movie. It's too big of a franchise and too much at risk so I bet he had to go with some things that were pre determined and not a matter of negotiation. So the end result of the costume was, for me, something in the middle of my hope and fear scale.

I really wanted the classic costume. I never had any problems with it reading the comics or watching the cartoons/animated series. But it never really worked or looked that well on the screen, for me. Part of it was the poor texture being used and, I admit, the trunks always looked kind of silly. Because they did look like something that is worn on the outside when it should be worn on the inside and it serves no real purpose. Like Stan Lee said, some things that work in comics wont work in a movie and sometimes you must make changes. However, I do believe they COULD make it work, in this day and age.

However I am also the one who realizes that everything must adapt in order to survive. Times change, generations come and go and we live in a world vastly different to the world when Superman was created. And the number 1 thing about his costume that was always ´´the target`` were the trunks. I know why they created them (though the idea of wanting to make a super powered alien look strong by adding the trunks is kind of silly to be honest), but circus strongmen are no longer the thing and pro wrestlers are ridiculed today and thus making Superman look silly in comparison. I don't agree with this, but I am a minority in the general audience to whom they are trying to sell this movie.

So I was able to accept this change as necessity of sorts and a product of the natural adapt to survive process. Maybe it depends on the person (Some of my friends who are Superman fans have a hard time accepting this look) as I am one who can embrace change rather well given my experiences in life.

But only when the changes don't change the core of the character or his look. When I see Cavill in his costume I still see Superman. In fact, the first picture screamed Superman to me more than anything I've seen before, sans seeing Christopher Reeve on TV when in my early teens. I would NEVER be able to accept, for example, a complete color scheme change, removal of the cape or messing with the chest shield. Like some idea I've once heard for Superman to have a small shield on his shoulder, like cops! Yikes! But somehow, the trunks don't seem THAT integral to me. And the first picture is still the only official one so that's the one to go by until more official stuff comes when I'll judge the suit further. They did do a few things so right though. The cape attachment, the cape itself, the size and shape of the ´´S`` and the boots are just about the most impressive thing I've seen as far as real life Superman costume goes. And of course I hope the red is bright red and the blue is navy blue and not black-ish or too dark.

I've even sort of grown to the pipping and the look without the patch of red in the middle. Somehow the color ratio of blue/red seem more even now (if the cape is on) and the suit a bit less busy and over crowded (because the pipping seems very subtle and I hope it remains that way).

Still, with all that said, I would really love to see the classic costume, especially in a Snyder movie. But, it could be MUCH, MUCH worse. I even think if the removal of his trunks was something that was a must on WB's part, that we are lucky that Snyder is handling this movie. We could do much worse. And in the end, if Cavill makes us believe he IS Superman, if the stay true to Superman's core character and if the movie turns to be as great as the names attached to it indicate, it really wont matter to me anymore and to most people I suppose. I mean, I really dislike the TDK costume but I forget about that when watching the movie.
Though, the opposite could be said for the classic costume. Perhaps it wouldn't make a difference in the end if they kept it. But what's done is done. I embrace the change and look forward to how it really looks in motion and in the movie. It might just make me love the suit...or hate it.

Save for the shield, I dont have a problem with the way Gary Frank draws the suit. It is the face that throws me for a loop. I guess I'm so used to seeing Christopher Reeve from Frank. Either way that face looks odd

i just don't get the lines over the costume

the lines and the belt kill it for me

plus the boots look better in the other picture

I think the belt looks alright when it's kind of plain. The way it is on that Gary Frank cover is just loud and obnoxious.

With a metrosexual makeover

The new way they draw his hair and face is the one part of the Lee redesign that I don't mind. And at least the \S/ is on the cape.

Classic look is always best, but they've thrown away everything traditional on every character, so Supes is hardly alone in the bad 90's redesign department. They're even doing it to characters like the original Flash and Green Lantern.

well I like the lines on the Flash costume as it makes sense that the suit would have seams as it forms on him in pieces.

The new way they draw his hair and face is the one part of the Lee redesign that I don't mind. And at least the \S/ is on the cape.

Classic look is always best, but they've thrown away everything traditional on every character, so Supes is hardly alone in the bad 90's redesign department. They're even doing it to characters like the original Flash and Green Lantern.

The changes to those two aren't nearly as apparent though. But even their classic designs aren't the first, considering they're fairly heavy revamps of golden age characters.

If I just look at it, it looks fine. I see Superman. If I dissect it, I realize it's different, but I don't really care, I still see Superman.

I think the boots in both pics are fine, though I do prefer the design on the first pic. Even though I love the new costume I did find the design of the boots a bit off puting (too many lines). The second one however does a good job of sticking to the original design of the new look, but makes it easier on the eyes.

Cute utility-belt, cherry-blossom.

But only when the changes don't change the core of the character or his look. When I see Cavill in his costume I still see Superman. In fact, the first picture screamed Superman to me more than anything I've seen before, sans seeing Christopher Reeve on TV when in my early teens. I would NEVER be able to accept, for example, a complete color scheme change, removal of the cape or messing with the chest shield.

Folks are certainly entitled to their opinions and preferences. But I think critics have had a tough go at articulating their objections – for the very reasons that you offer. Had the loss of the trunks been one of several “radical” changes that Snyder incorporated, there’d be more traction to the charge of character or image desecration. But the fact is, the MOS suit is very traditional in almost every other respect. So that leaves the critic trying to argue that a "red pelvis" is an exceptionally vital bit of iconography – without which Superman just isn’t Superman. Just as a matter of rhetorical persuasion… that’s a tad weak. :cwink:

yes those are my sentiments exactly

while I don't like the new 52 suit and I still want the trunks and feel that they could work in a updated suit I feel that they are not a cornerstone of the costume or character like the cape and shield

The changes to those two aren't nearly as apparent though. But even their classic designs aren't the first, considering they're fairly heavy revamps of golden age characters.

No, I mean the original original Flash and Green Lantern, Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

New Jay Garrick:

jay-garrick-new52-earth2.jpg

Classic Jay Garrick:

1163927-jay_super.jpg

maybe because I'm so used to seeing the trunks but when I see the New 52 costume or the movie costume my brain tells me that something is missing

No, I mean the original original Flash and Green Lantern, Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

New Jay Garrick:

jay-garrick-new52-earth2.jpg

Classic Jay Garrick:

1163927-jay_super.jpg

I'll take the classic look...that new deal just ain't cutting it for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"