The Official Green Lantern Rumors/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Based on what exactly? Where is there any proof that Stewart couldn't star in his own movie?

You literally used the failure of the 2011 movie to claim that Jordan should not be part of another GL movie, as if that movie bombing had anything to do with who the protagonist was, so how is that "proof" that he shouldn't be part of another GL movie? You want the character to not be there just because he was unfortunate enough to be in a bad movie, all so they can push your fave instead. The fact that you called "Lantern Venom" a biased fan is amusing, that's a really nice glass house there.

When was Scott Lang a solo character before Ant-Man in 2015?

He's not a solo character in the MCU either, the Ant-Man movie franchise is a family/team-up series. You previously mentioned Hope Van Dyne being the MCU's main Wasp, if they approached the series in a different way and started with a solo Wasp movie, you really think Janet won't be there? Scott and Hope work because it's not a solo adventure about either of them. Pym and Janet are still important characters there, so why is Hal Jordan so unworthy of being part of another GL movie for any other reason than you not wanting him to be there.

Last edited:
Ant-Man wasn't a solo movie where Marvel ditched the entire mythos and had Lang off on his own. He was still a legacy character who was largely supported by the stories and presence of his predecessor.

Yep. I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. Hal needs to be there because John doesn't have his own solo material to build the groundwork from. It's really that simple. The cartoon he was featured in was a Justice League/DCU-based show, not a GL show, so they could get away with his limitations as a solo character since he was always surrounded by other heroes with established mythologies. He was part of a team, where he shared the spotlight with 6 other characters at first and 60 other later on, that's why he worked well there. Being a team member is where his strengths lie as a character. In a standalone GL franchise that starts from scratch, they really can't get away with it, so you need a character who does provide that groundwork.

Last edited:
Yep. I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. Hal needs to be there because John doesn't have his own solo material to build the groundwork from. It's really that simple. The cartoon he was featured in was a Justice League/DCU-based show, not a GL show, so they could get away with his limitations as a solo character since he was always surrounded by other heroes with established mythologies. He was part of a team, where he shared the spotlight with 6 other characters at first and 60 other later on, that's why he worked well there. Being a team member is where his strengths lie as a character. In a standalone GL franchise that starts from scratch, they really can't get away with it, so you need a character who does provide that groundwork.

That's true, and you could say the same for Wally on that show. He showed up without much of a backstory and, like John, took a reduced role when the show became JLU. That really wouldn't work in a Flash-centric story unless the writers took parts of Barry Allen's story and gave it to Wally.

The other GLs have had plenty of their own stories, but they don't *start* that way. It starts with the workings of the Guardians, the Corps, OA, etc. The entrance point for all of that has been Hal Jordan since 1959. Even when he's not a featured part of the story, he's an important part of the background.

With all these Tom Cruise rumors, if Top Gun Maverick performs, I could see WB looking at director Joseph Kosinki as well.

And what about Cruise's Top Gun co-stars Miles Teller and Glen Powell for Guy Gardner? They've both got such punchable faces. (Though Channing Tatum's still my top pick)

Last edited:
No Miles Teller, please. But Glen Powell would be great.

With all these Tom Cruise rumors, if Top Gun Maverick performs, I could see WB looking at director Joseph Kosinki as well.

And what about Cruise's Top Gun co-stars Miles Teller and Glen Powell for Guy Gardner? They've both got such punchable faces. (Though Channing Tatum's still my top pick)

I thought the same thing about Kosinski! He would nail it. Honestly, if it’s down to McQuarrie and Kosinski, I would go with Kosinski. McQuarrie could be another Martin Campbell situation- where a good director bites off more than they can chew with an effects/CGI heavy sci-fi adventure because their strength lies in more grounded action. Kosinski has already proven he has a knack for sci-fi, and they would be smart to go with someone that has already handled something like this with Tron and Oblivion. They can’t really afford to take any risks with this franchise.

McQuarrie for Man of Steel 2
Kosinski for Green Lantern Corps

I'm sure Tatum now is capable of playing a superhero universe character well.

I still think of the Tron Legacy gif of Clu, but with green colors. Don't remember the source, but I used it as my avatar at one point. Maybe I should switch to that one.

I thought the same thing about Kosinski! He would nail it. Honestly, if it’s down to McQuarrie and Kosinski, I would go with Kosinski. McQuarrie could be another Martin Campbell situation- where a good director bites off more than they can chew with an effects/CGI heavy sci-fi adventure because their strength lies in more grounded action. Kosinski has already proven he has a knack for sci-fi, and they would be smart to go with someone that has already handled something like this with Tron and Oblivion. They can’t really afford to take any risks with this franchise.

McQuarrie for Man of Steel 2
Kosinski for Green Lantern Corps
But Kosinski has yet to direct an actual good movie, imo, which is far more concerning.

I would rather someone not as big as Cruise play the role and I will tell you why. If Cruise plays the role of Hal Jordan/Green Lantern then think about it he would overshadow almost everyone in the DCEU including Cavill, Gadot, Momoa, whoever they cast to replace Affleck as Batman and he would overshadow Ezra and Ray if he sticks around as Cyborg because they would have no choice but to make Cruise the leader of the Justice League should they do a sequel and last I checked Green Lantern is not the leader of the Justice League which is why I would go with anyone else in the role of Hal Jordan such as:

1- Armie Hammer
2- Jake Gyllenhaal
3- Jamie Dornan
4- John Krasinski
5- Bill Skarsgard
6- Jack Reynor
7- Glenn Howerton
8- James Marsden

This poster from another forum confirmed the casting of MEW as Huntress and he seems very legit

rlBEou1q_o.png

He's saying 'The studio wants 3 main GL members in one movie. Hal Jordan, John Stewart & Jessica Cruz.

Last edited:
IS1HJ5mo_o.png

Nao he's saying that it's WB who are looking for 3 lead GLs while the main writer (Johns??) wants to start out with only Hal Jordan.

Last edited:
I'd be perfectly fine if Jessica's in the mix. She's a fantastic character. Not sure about the other comment tho, I seriously doubt Geoff Johns would insist to only have Hal there when that hasn't been the plan for years. If he wanted only Hal in the movie, he would've done so during the time he was co-running the DCEU. That part seems like total BS to me. But I sure hope the Jessica part is true. Hal and John can be the established Lanterns and Jess the newcomer.

Last edited:
Properly establishing Hal first ain't a bad way to go tho. Considering where the character is at in popculture. Deadpool jokes and all. lol

Properly establishing Hal first ain't a bad way to go tho. Considering where the character is at in popculture. Deadpool jokes and all. lol
Honestly, even as a Hal fan I don't think he needs another standalone film. The Lanterns generally work better as a unit as compared to being standalone characters. With John and now presumably Jessica in the mix too, you get both the diversity factor, as well as the buddy cop thing. My only hope is for Hal to not play second fiddle to either of them. If they're truly all main characters with noone playing a secondary role to the others, then I'm more than fine with it.

Couldn't they do the best of both worlds, in that have a film with Hal as the focus, but with Simon & Jessica as supporting characters somehow? Kinda' like how Bruce & Diana were at the forefront of JL and the other characters; Arthur, Barry, Victor and Clark came into play later.

JL didn't work. Having the focus be on Hal is exactly the opposite of the best of both words. It's just the best of a Hal fan's world.....until it's horrible & flops again and then Hal's fans are sad again too. Nobody really "wins" in this scenario

JL didn't work. Having the focus be on Hal is exactly the opposite of the best of both words. It's just the best of a Hal fan's world.....until it's horrible & flops again and then Hal's fans are sad again too. Nobody really "wins" in this scenario
In what way does making Hal the focus again(which will not be the case) mean it's going to be horrible and flop again? The 2011 movie being a flop had nothing to do with who the focus character was. You'd be surprised about Hal's fans, lots of them have no issues with him sharing the spotlight with other characters, what they don't want is for him to play a secondary role in the movie.

Honestly, even as a Hal fan I don't think he needs another standalone film. The Lanterns generally work better as a unit as compared to being standalone characters. With John and now presumably Jessica in the mix too, you get both the diversity factor, as well as the buddy cop thing. My only hope is for Hal to not play second fiddle to either of them. If they're truly all main characters with noone playing a secondary role to the others, then I'm more than fine with it.
This is exactly my view. The next time I see a Lantern in a film without other Lanterns is hopefully a JL reboot. For now I want to see GL Corps films which can capture how epic the Lantern universe can be and show off great teamwork between Lanterns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"