The Avengers The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People laughing at the jumping was another reason I put on my list to hate the TV show. It's that show's fault people thought the Hulk was supposed to jog away. Spider-Man was lucky, his horrible 70s TV show failed to garner enough ratings to stay on the air and cement a bunch of wrong ideas into the public consciousness. (Not that the Hulk TV show actually had great ratings or anything)

If it wasn't for the TV show, the Hulk would not be one of Marvel's top icons today. Period.

And if the show HAD been true to the comic, right around the episode where Bill Bixby had to fight off the Terrible Toad Men, the show would have gotten canceled faster than the original Hulk comic.

It ran for 5 years. If it didn't have the ratings, it would have been yanked long before. There were attempts at Spider-Man, Captain America, and Dr. Strange shows around the same time. Spider-Man didn't last long and the others barely got beyond one or two episodes. The Hulk was the only one which Marvel slapped "Marvel's TV Sensation" on its cover for a large portion of the show's run.

Memories of the show still endure and many people still identify with it. That is a sign that it made an impact on LOTS of people.

It was the first sci-fi show to win an Emmy. It was one of the longest running and most successful sci-fi shows. It's ratings were good and the pilot episode was the #1 rated show the night it aired. It was tied as the most expensive show to film on television at the time (about a million dollars an episode). It's second biggest demographic was with adult women (not exactly the comic book demographic, is it?). More people were watching than kids and comic book geeks. Did it do "Dancing with the Stars" type numbers in the ratings? No. But green wig be damned, I'd STILL rather watch The Incredible Hulk than Ryan Secrest and Mario Lopez.

I miss the "I still love the Hulk TV show" thread.

If it wasn't for the TV show, the Hulk would not be one of Marvel's top icons today. Period.

And if the show HAD been true to the comic, right around the episode where Bill Bixby had to fight off the Terrible Toad Men, the show would have gotten canceled faster than the original Hulk comic.

It ran for 5 years. If it didn't have the ratings, it would have been yanked long before. There were attempts at Spider-Man, Captain America, and Dr. Strange shows around the same time. Spider-Man didn't last long and the others barely got beyond one or two episodes. The Hulk was the only one which Marvel slapped "Marvel's TV Sensation" on its cover for a large portion of the show's run.

Memories of the show still endure and many people still identify with it. That is a sign that it made an impact on LOTS of people.

It was the first sci-fi show to win an Emmy. It was one of the longest running and most successful sci-fi shows. It's ratings were good and the pilot episode was the #1 rated show the night it aired. It was tied as the most expensive show to film on television at the time (about a million dollars an episode). It's second biggest demographic was with adult women (not exactly the comic book demographic, is it?). More people were watching than kids and comic book geeks. Did it do "Dancing with the Stars" type numbers in the ratings? No. But green wig be damned, I'd STILL rather watch The Incredible Hulk than Ryan Secrest and Mario Lopez.

I agree 100%!.

QFT :up:

I'll agree with the last sentence at least. ;)

The following is not written to anger just in case I word it poorly.

First sentence sounds odd. The Spider-Man show failed and he's their biggest icon. I don't think there is a connection. As I said before...he probably lucked out. No TV show to condition the public to a character that wasn't really Spider-Man. So the movie didn't have to fight that.

The second sentence is another one of those suppositions that assume the general public just can't handle the real Hulk character. No one has ever put him out there so I keep wondering how anyone could know that. What if Batman had been put through that and his movies stayed with the 60s TV show formula at the expense of the comic character? (shudder).

I actually looked at the yearly ratings for that time period not long ago. The Incredible Hulk never broke the top 25. That wasn't that great back then before cable. One year "That's Incredible" was pretty high up there and that fooled me for a sec. ;) It seems it was just popular enough to stay on the air and establish a lot of bad ideas in the public consciousness. That's why so many reacted poorly to the Hulk leaping. I would love to point out to them that I have the exact same reaction to the way the TV shat all over the comic version. So welcome to my world. We are currently stuck with a mute Hulk due to the TV show....thanks for that. :waa: (I still admire and respect Lou Ferrigno because he put up with being relegated to being a mute guest star on a show where he played the title character.)

The second Hulk was not bigger. Also he may have been angrier but he didn't look more dangerous. It's like he was whining a lot, like an emo teen. He got his butt handed to him by Abomination and only a chain saved him. The first was this gigantic force of nature.
Louis Lettier never put across how the madder Hulk gets the stronger he gets.

I hated the small Spiderman leaps & not the powerful jumps at the end of the movie. LL just didn't get the small details right. I'm glad a director who grew up reading the books is finally going to direct.

Last edited:
Then you need to meet more people, I know just as many who prefer Hulk over TIH as I do vice-versa and thats not on this forum.

As for this forum, I point you to this thread:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=270749

Ang Lee had no clue? There were more stuff from the comics in Hulk than there was in TIH, TIH followed the TV series more than the comics and the TV series was hardly faithful.

And i'm no Ang Lee gusher, Hulk is the only movie of his I have ever liked.

Definately, the Hulk in Hulk seemed a lot more powerful as well, TIH struggled to lift a Humvy, 2003 Hulk was throwing tanks around like they were nothing.

I'll give you that. The Hulk in A.Lees movie was stronger. But he was also different sizes & I hated that.

A gigantic force of nature?
A gigantic force of nature that got knocked out by some dad-turned jellyfish?
Whiskey.
Tango.
Foxtrot?

I've never understood the people that said the 2008 Hulk was weaker than the 2003 one. Just because he wasn't shown lifting a tank doesn't mean he couldn't. Honestly, I think the Abomination would have eaten Ang's Hulk for breakfast. Can you see Tim Roth's Abomination having trouble with Gamma Poodles? And as far as the 2003 Hulk being able to jump further than the 2008 Hulk, they simply chose not to show the Hulk jump for miles, since that is one of the things people laughed at during the 2003 Hulk. Ed Norton's Banner ended up in another country after he Hulked out. What--do you think the Hulk hitchhiked to another land? Jogged? Took a cab?

We saw the incredible Hulk get more angry and physically overpower the Abomination. Then--he ripped one of the Abomination's bones out of his body and stabbed him with it. Let me say that again--he stabbed the Abomination with one of his own bones. Oh, hell yeah!
Ang's Hulk...looked at moss a lot.

That's great.
Go to any mall, amusement park, or general gathering of people. Ask a perfect stranger if they liked the 2003 Hulk movie.
See what happens.
I'm not saying they're aren't people that liked it, I'm saying every single person I have ever asked (and--being a Hulk fan, it comes up a lot), gladly tells me how much they hated the 2003 Hulk movie.
It's much more often than not that I hear, "Worst movie ever made".

Yes, I've seen that thread. And what percentage of posts are yours? ;)

Listen, I'm glad you liked it. I really am. Heck, I wish *I* would have liked it--it would have made the 5 years between 2003 and 2008 a lot better for me. :)

But I don't want to turn this thread into an Ang VS. Norton fest.
Ruffalo is the current Banner...let's stay positive, move forward, and continue discussing "The Hulk in Avengers".

Cheers.
(And a big Hi to my man, Cracker Jack!)

Maybe the Hulk skipped to another country. I never heard people had trouble with the long leaps, they had trouble with his Flash like speed running. BTW i hate the 2003 Giant-Man Hulk!

I hated the Hulk tv show as a kid because it wasn't enough like the Hulk CBs I was reading at the time.

As strong as he is he ought to be able to move along at a pretty decent clip. Nowhere near Flash fast, but still fast.

As for the tiny leaps, I don't see why people think he should jump 2 miles every time he leaps. How's he supposed to know where he's going to land? Making blind jumps like that is a great way to end up in the middle of a lake or in someone's living room with their body squished between your green toes.

Man, so the Hulk in the Avengers! Yeah...

I hope it's good!

As strong as he is he ought to be able to move along at a pretty decent clip. Nowhere near Flash fast, but still fast.

As for the tiny leaps, I don't see why people think he should jump 2 miles every time he leaps. How's he supposed to know where he's going to land? Making blind jumps like that is a great way to end up in the middle of a lake or in someone's living room with their body squished between your green toes.
If i remember correctly the Hulk can leap a mile at a time & he never really had a destination other than to get the heck away from the current military threat at the time.

we dont know. hopefully he'll be a bit of a hero, and i hope he has a good amount of screentime.

So, Hulk. Good or Bad in the Avengers?

Bad. Hopefully it is similar to the animation movie Hulk vs Thor, in which Loki tries to control Hulk to fight Thor. I really like that idea of Loki controlling Hulk to get revenge against his brother. That could be set up really well depending on how Thor ends.

I think Bruce Banner will be a hero. I think The Hulk with be straight up chaotic neutral. This is as it should be.

Yeah, but if Banner decided to join the team which shouldn't really happen until the third act, how will Hulk go down? WHen he transforms will Hulk just stand idle and listen? I don't see that. I think part of Bruce's journey should be control which he has always wanted. He realizes he can't be cured, so the best thing to do is control the Hulk and embrace it and use him for good. Which if they use Loki controlling Hulk, this theme could be very powerful for Banner and his journey.

Louis Lettier never put across how the madder Hulk gets the stronger he gets.

I hated the small Spiderman leaps & not the powerful jumps at the end of the movie. LL just didn't get the small details right. I'm glad a director who grew up reading the books is finally going to direct.

Um, yes he did--twice in fact.

I wouldn't call dancing around until Hulk is pissed & then getting violently planted into the side of a tree a good fight. Not if you're Blonsky, anyway.

Blonsky got Hulk exactly were he wanted him, it was only his recklessness that got him planted into the tree.

And bright greenness.

He was a bit too bright.

I'll give you that. The Hulk in A.Lees movie was stronger. But he was also different sizes & I hated that.

He was definately stronger, all you have to do is watch both movies to realise this, its all there on the screen.

And yeah I hated the changing size thing too, but I think if he would have done a sequel he would have gotten rid of that.

Bad. Hopefully it is similar to the animation movie Hulk vs Thor, in which Loki tries to control Hulk to fight Thor. I really like that idea of Loki controlling Hulk to get revenge against his brother. That could be set up really well depending on how Thor ends.
Actually didn't Loki control the Hulks mind in Avengers #1? I also remember an issue of the Hulk in Tales to Astonish where the Stranger controled the mind of the Hulk or was it the Abomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"