The Official Hype Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mh...I've never done internval training, mainly cause I hate to run at my max for extended periods of time. I did hear there was some kind of benefit cause your body needs to properly absorb oxygen through the fast heart rate and low heart rate.

What I do is just run at a fast jog (6.5-7.5mph) for like five to seven miles. I've found it effective for myself but I had to work up to it. At first I did running non stop for two miles, then worked up to three, then worked up to four (breaking for a walk when I needed it), and then I just settled in and could add extra miles whenever I wanted with no consequence.

This is my suggestion to you for a new cardio plan. Other than that, I've got nothing else to offer (cardio wise).

Its not running at your max for extended periods of time. The work periods are shorter than the active rest (jog pace periods).
There are lots of studies that show many benefits that interval running (interval training) has over the traditional roadwork (3+ miles at a slower pace for example).

Just remember on what you are training for..i.e. what are your goals? If you want to run distance/marathons/etc, then by all means make distance work a part of your program.

If you look at my sig, there is a page from this thread where I gave a lot of info about HIIT training and lots of links with research/ideas/programs also.

Also, to Manic, long distance could be bad for muscle gain/retention but it really does require a good bit of it. 3-5 mile run shouldn't hurt your gains....although intervals are much better anyway.

Its not running at your max for extended periods of time. The work periods are shorter than the active rest (jog pace periods).
There are lots of studies that show many benefits that interval running (interval training) has over the traditional roadwork (3+ miles at a slower pace for example).

Just remember on what you are training for..i.e. what are your goals? If you want to run distance/marathons/etc, then by all means make distance work a part of your program.

If you look at my sig, there is a page from this thread where I gave a lot of info about HIIT training and lots of links with research/ideas/programs also.

Also, to Manic, long distance could be bad for muscle gain/retention but it really does require a good bit of it. 3-5 mile run shouldn't hurt your gains....although intervals are much better anyway.
Ah, okay. Yeah I'm not in the 'know' for Cardio.

Ah, okay. Yeah I'm not in the 'know' for Cardio.

It's cool man, we are all at different stages, but all still learning. Just remember that there are set in stone rules for a majority of fitness stuff and that you should train for what your own goals are.

As far as the running vs muscle growth, it has been said many times, look at a marathon runner's body versus a sprinters body. That is a somewhat skewed, yet still accurate account of distance running versus intervals.

Marathon/distance runner (yes, this guy pooped himself, but thats not what the picture is for):

runner_crap_fail.jpg

VERSUS

Sprinter:

TysonGay.jpg

On a side note, my fitness website is up and running. If anyone wants to check it out, PM me.

Last edited:
Cool man, I'll check it out. Just pm it to me. I kinda just make up my own routines and what works I keep and what doesn't I drop. I really wanna get P90x cause having someone else tell me how to do things for a change would be great.

I've been giving some thought toward a new cardio routine, and I'm thinking I might try some back and forth sprinting (and maybe shuffling) drills. I've noticed that the aerobics/spinning room at the gym seems to be empty 90% of the time, so I'm thinking of snatching that room up after I'm done lifting. The plan is to sprint from wall to wall (length of time to be determined), then rest (length of time will probably be double my sprint time) and repeat until I collapse. Then it's just a matter of loading myself onto a dolly and rolling out of there.

Hey man, where have you been?

Check your PMs.

Busy. Just with life in general. I'm still working out though, and still training Brazilain Jiu Jitsu.

Good to see you're still holding down the fort!

I tried out my new cardio plan today. After 10 minutes of 20-second sprints and 40-50 second walks, I felt like I was gonna die. So I must be doing something right.

Hey, are Betty Crockers Instant mashed potatoes any different from peeling and cutting potatoes from a sack. I would make mashed pototoes with skim milk for both and I can eat them plain, but I'm tired of cutting up potatoes.

Last edited:
Hey, are Betty Crockers Instant mashed potatoes any different from peeling and cutting potatoes from a sack. I would make mashed pototoes with skim milk for both and I can eat them plain, but I'm tired of cutting up potatoes.
I have tried instant...and it's gross. :oldrazz: Heavily processed. Kind of like Easy Mac, which gives me headaches if I eat it too often.

And I'm often too lazy to peel potatoes, so I just leave 'em on. Turns out they're better for you that way too. :up:

Yeah, I thought a lot of nutrients were in the skin of all fruits, vegtables, starches, etc.

I tried out my new cardio plan today. After 10 minutes of 20-second sprints and 40-50 second walks, I felt like I was gonna die. So I must be doing something right.

Thats the point of the intervals-wear you out quick! Much more efficient way to burn calories and fat than long periods on the treadmill and all.
I think you will see some very good results from this, as long as your diet is in check.

I'm in desperate need of some hamstrings. Mine are way to small right now and it's killing my physique. Seems like my legs altogether are too small :(

I'm in desperate need of some hamstrings. Mine are way to small right now and it's killing my physique. Seems like my legs altogether are too small :(
It depends on your body type. LOTS of people are top-heavy and have stick legs.

I think general lower body exercises like squats and deadlifts are supposed to be good for developing that area.

Ok, I have a question.

I used to be in shape. Ran 3+ miles a day, did weights 1 hour a day, benched 315 max and practiced jujitsu 2 per week for 1-2 hours per session.

Since that time I have had 7 surgeries. The more surgeries I've had, the less I have worked out until I quit years ago. I worked a physical job at the time, but still put on about 70 pounds too much. It just hurts to damn much to do work outs anymore. My metabolism has slowed and I eat MUCH less than I did while I was in shape, but it takes so little to keep the weight on me as I aged.

My latest surgery is a back surgery which the doc had take out the disc and replace it with a plastic one, drill in 2 titanium rods to hold the bottom 2 in place and now I'm basically HAVING to lose wieght to help with the back problem. I had to have the surgery due to a work accident which blew out my lowest disc.

So my question is, what low impact excercises do you suggest to lose wieght and get in some sort of shape again after I finish rehabbing from this surgery. I have a tread mill and expect to be using that. Anything else I should be looking into?

FYI, my major surgery beside my back that bothers me is my right knee surgery, a special gift from my football days. So low impact for my knee and my back.

Thanks in advance.

Since you're so limited as to what exercises you can do, you'd better focus on tracking your calories big time. Eat 500 less than your maintenance caloric intake for a few weeks and see if you lose some weight. If not, eat less than that.

Since you're so limited as to what exercises you can do, you'd better focus on tracking your calories big time. Eat 500 less than your maintenance caloric intake for a few weeks and see if you lose some weight. If not, eat less than that.

Good advice that I'm already doing since the surgery. I've lost about 10 pounds so far.

I now I can not do alot now, except lay in bed and go to PT, but is there some form of excerise beside walking that you might know of that would fit this profile?

I was thinking of swimming, but the closest pool that I would have access to will be closed after I get off of work. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"