The Official 'I Still Love Ang Lee's Hulk' Thread - Part 1

Watching the Ang Lee Hulk last night, i got the idea for this thread, i still think the first movie is SUPERB, and think it is an absolute crime that it will never get a direct sequel, i would have loved to see were Ang would have taken it as he did express an interest in doing one before Hulk was released.

Now, other than the great casting of Edward Norton, i must say i havent liked ANY of the news announcements on this new movie, and i dont think this new movie will reach the level of the first.

So, this is a thread for fans of the first movie to discuss their gripes and concerns about the new movie, and to discuss were Ang possibly would have gone with a sequel.

Can someone help me? I've been trying desperately to find this concept art of Nick Nolte from Hulk, where he's absorbed a starfish and basically screaming into the camera

Doesn't ring a bell. Have you tried the special features on the dvd or blu-ray?

Can someone help me? I've been trying desperately to find this concept art of Nick Nolte from Hulk, where he's absorbed a starfish and basically screaming into the camera

nolte10tk.jpg

This one?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaay.

YES!! I loved this movie. I Really think it deserves more praise then it recieves.

Really well made in my opinion. I mean, I think one of the things to enjoying this movie is you almost have to take your expectations on what a "superhero" movie really is, if you have any that is. Because it's not quite that. It almost stands alone as it's own experience in itself. It's like a tragic dream unfolding, coming in an out of a man's psyche. The outer manifistations of one's inner darkest self that we all know exists inside of us all. All those repressed emotions, and thoughts we keep at bay, often unknown to even ourselves. The term 'summer popcorn movie' should be no where near this movie, I think. One thing I really loved about this movie was actually the music. It was just beautiful.

Last edited:
I prefer this to the new updated one. I felt it had more heart and soul. I felt the Hulk character was better characterised. As was Banner. The duality and rivalry between the two personas was much better. I felt Bana put more into the role than Norton, who seemed to be sleep walking throughout. Elliot's Ross was superior to Hurt's Ross. I felt the fight against the army in the desert is still one of the most amazing action sequences in a comic book movie, almost 10 years later.

The only thing i really liked about The Incredible Hulk was Tim Roth. But it's Tim Roth, I'd like him by default.

Yeah, to me the new one just seemed COMPLETELY formulaic to me.

I'm sure many won't agree with me, but quite a few of the new superhero movies that are coming out now really seem that way to me. Like they've found a formula that works, so they're just applying it to all the movies to save time and insure the movies make the kind of money that want/expect, but without ever taking in chances, resulting in rather bland predictable movies, that aren't necessarily bad...just...you know? predictable.

Or maybe I've just become jaded and expect too much.
But then it almost seems this way with most movies in general now:huh:

^I liked TIH as an action movie, but Ang's movie just had far more substance and emotion to it, and as you said, we got deeper into the characters of both Bruce and The Hulk himself, which I loved, I also thought the action was better in Ang's movie as well, and yes, Elliot's Ross was also better and more faithful than Hurt's Ross.

Yea I agree with you totally.

Also a couple of things that i prefered about Ang's that are more on the superficial side...

Hulk was actually like Hulk from the comics. He ran at like, 100 mph. He could bound miles at a time. He had an naively innocent, almost child like demeanor.

Sometimes i get the feeling that fans prefered The Incredible Hulk simply because he said HULK SMASH and had something big to punch at the end.

Yay! Thread Manager's presence shows that Ang's movie is enough of a cult movie to get a second thread. This can only mean one thing...break dancing time! *starts dancing*

I loved Ang Lee's "Hulk" film. It was a fantastic psychological/action/fantasy/drama filled thrill of a monster movie IMO. The only problem I had with it was...that is not the iconic "Hulk" that I wanted to see. I long to see the "Hulk" that has lasted for about 50 years, the bad attitude, opinionated highly emotional anti-hero who's just trying to fit in in a world where he's feared and loathed.

I always refer to it specifically as "Ang Lee's Hulk" because it's definitely his take on the character, not necessarily a direct adaptaion of the comic.

You know what I wish? I would have loved for Ang to do a take on Joe Fixit or Professor Hulk in some sequels. The thing that hurt his movie is that too many people think that Hulk is the same "Hulk Smash" creature with no growth. The David run really went into Hulk's personal growth as a character there, and it looked like Ang's movie will be the closest we'll get to that.

I always refer to it specifically as "Ang Lee's Hulk" because it's definitely his take on the character, not necessarily a direct adaptaion of the comic.

Too true.

You know what I wish? I would have loved for Ang to do a take on Joe Fixit or Professor Hulk in some sequels. The thing that hurt his movie is that too many people think that Hulk is the same "Hulk Smash" creature with no growth. The David run really went into Hulk's personal growth as a character there, and it looked like Ang's movie will be the closest we'll get to that.

Ang's movie is beautiful to watch. I loved how some scenes seemed surreal and how the acting was really intense at times. I think that the movie just took people off guard and that is why it gets the bad wrap among a few other things. I think Ang would do a good job with the right Hulk script, less artistic freedom and if he stuck to the comic characters personal growth. I missed Hulks leaps in TIH. And did an EXCELLENT job with that.

I think if we get a new Hulk film Peter David, Len Wein and Greg Pak should be the brain trust or advisory board sought in keeping true to the character. Each writer bought something unique to, but stayed true to all aspects of the character.

Last edited:
To hedge their bets on what Hulk version should accepted, the next Hulk movie should be an adaptation of World War Hulk. It has the smashing that people crave, but by that time Hulk was already developed to be intelligent. There could be some philosophical and existential goodness right along with the smashing and beat downs that the average person expects from Hulk. We all know who the Hulk is and how he got there. Just flash forward to that part. Hell that could even be an Avengers sequel.

To hedge their bets on what Hulk version should accepted, the next Hulk movie should be an adaptation of World War Hulk. It has the smashing that people crave, but by that time Hulk was already developed to be intelligent. There could be some philosophical and existential goodness right along with the smashing and beat downs that the average person expects from Hulk. We all know who the Hulk is and how he got there. Just flash forward to that part. Hell that could even be an Avengers sequel.

The World War Hulk is the same Hulk as the Gravage or Green Scar Hulk.

The philosophical and existential aspects of Ang Lee's Hulk is what really appeals to me. Hulk is one of those characters that has many mythological facets to play off. There was a little of it mentioned in The Incredible Hulk movie and even more in that script, that I regret was not used in the final cut, the movie would have been so much better. But Angs movie hit the nail on the head for me. The whole idea of creating "Super Soldiers," without using the name sake, was prevalent and I loved how the idea that Bruce's father passed the genes of experimentation into Bruce, which bought credence to Bruce surviving the whole Gamma juice up, and further his father using his son's DNA to "break God's barrier" as well. It even gave justification to Hulk's adaptability and healing. I thought the movie science was well thought out. The only other two comic book films that come close to doing a satisfying job on the esoteric philosophies on the limits of man were Nolan's Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

In Angs Hulk, I really thought Nick Nolte played his character well, and I couldn't understand why some people thought he played it over the top?

I really hope Marvel Studio's will do another Hulk film and not skimp on the story, in preference for the action. The Nolan Batman films prove that people will watch and buy into a good Super Hero movie that's not campy, if the story is good.

Last edited:
Green Scar Hulk may be the old green skin, but he is much more intelligent than the childlike Hulk that many people are familiar with. With the Green Scar you could give Hulk some character like how they're doing in the Avengers cartoon. I really think Ang would have worked wonders with that instead of the monosyllabic Hulk that some people see as the only potential with the Hulk.

Green Scar Hulk may be the old green skin, but he is much more intelligent than the childlike Hulk that many people are familiar with. With the Green Scar you could give Hulk some character like how they're doing in the Avengers cartoon. I really think Ang would have worked wonders with that instead of the monosyllabic Hulk that some people see as the only potential with the Hulk.

I think Marvel Studio's mistake with both movies is that they think the television version of Hulk was cool. It worked for an hour long show but in truth it was Bixby that made that show work. As far as the version I would like to see, I was agreeing with you and only stating the the Hulk termed WWH is the same version as Green Scar and is the same as called Gravage by we fans and is the best choice.

Yeah, Bixby was the best part of that show. Some of us on here have this running joke that everything Hulk related has to be like Bill Bixby. JP brought it up one time. Everyone involved in everything Hulk related always says that it is going to be JUST LIKE BILL BIXBY. They really need to let that show go. It was nice for its time, and I loved it as a kid. Its time has passed now, and I think holding on to it does more harm than good.

That's funny yet at the same time sad and true.

Totally misunderstood movie, ironically fitting seeing as how the very character the film is based on is supposed to be misunderstood.

By far and away one of the best, most intelligent, entertaining, well acted "superhero movies" I have ever had the fortune of seeing.

I could write a small paper on why I love Ang Lee's "Angry Man" movie. But I will spare you all. It's criminally underrated by a lot of people, who while I don't mean to sound arrogant, just completely don't understand the movie and in the same essence don't even understand the material of this character if they have problems with Ang Lee's HULK.

Like I always say, "Ang Lee's Hulk is... unique. And because it is unique, the world will not tolerate its existence."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"