The Official 'I Still Love Ang Lee's Hulk' Thread - Part 1

Why I do believe it's definitely his girth that makes Hulk Hulk, I didn't agree with you guys when you state Hulk should look like a power-lifter, because he's so strong. No more than this should apply to Superman or Thor who are just as strong or even Spider-man for that matter who was pretty powerful in his films.

This is why I think Ang's film is superior. Dialogue like this.

"What does it feel like, when you change?"

"Such overwhelming rage, such incredible power... such freedom. And the worst part is... I think I like it."

You know I saw this film in theaters when it came out. I gave it like a 7.3/10. I thought it was good but that was it and I kinda forgot about.

However in the past few months, I just kinda felt like re-watching it. I was walking through Best Buy and found it on blu ray for 10 bucks. So I said what the hell, and bought it. I sat down and watched last week about 3 times, and I sat down and thought long and hard about it.

To this day I said that my favorite comic films were easily TDK, BB, and SM2. However after seeing this again on blu......I was more then blown away. I think this is the most underrated comic film, and maybe just over all a very under-rated film. Now I would tie it easily with SM2. I know it's unpopular to say that around here but I will say it. I thought the film was incredibly cerebral, powerful, emotional, and just good all around. This I think has potential to be a cult film like Blade Runner in the future. I like Marvel's films still, but I just think 2000-2004 they made their best ones. And I wish they would at least take one character with a serious tone again. Hulk was just that, and I think is very under-rated.

I wish that some how this cult thing got big and they could make a Hulk 2 with Bana and Lee but I doubt it will ever happen. Too bad because it could have been a great series. And I would have loved to see where Ang would have taken it.

Ya some of the SFX was not the best, but for the most part it was brilliant. Man and Elfman's score.....one of his best. I can't stop listening to it now. I honestly will say this may be my favorite Marvel film, and its too bad it may never see a sequel.

I rate this film now a 9.3/10

I love it when a film you did not care for that much.....then seeing it years later and loving it.

Thats awesome that you gave the movie another chance, I really wish other people would do the same. As you can see, I started this thread, so as you can imagine I love the movie, and I wish more people like yourself would give it more of a chance as I feel it is a movie that gets better with age and repeat viewings.

Solidus, I really respect people who can show appreciation for something they may have overlooked at first. When I first left the theater, I sat in my car for 10 minutes before leaving, trying to register what I just witnessed and I found myself conflicted. I just saw this extremely great movie that no one else in the theater really liked...that was supposed to be about my favorite comic character, Hulk, that left me wanting. When I got home 20 minutes later I realized what the problem was, the was not close to character that I had been reading for over 25 years. It had elements of Hulk but also things I loathed-

I didn't like the design, OK at best, but it wasn't the Hulk.

They messed up his origin, we comic fans take that serious.

He was too big, why did he keep growing.

All he did was growl. (so what he spoke to lines)

Not strong enough.

Nanomeds (the ####)?

Bana good in role but too big to play Banner.

But other than that the movie is fantastic. I loved the every aspect of it but it just was my icon on screen.

I dont see how the origin had too much wrong and I especially disagree with the notion he wasnt strong enough. With the origin we had Bruce's father experimenting on him, the gamma, harper was in because the rights to Rick Jones belonged with Captain America at another studio at the time, we also had the Hulk's first few transformations taking place at night like in the comics, we also had the repressed rage, Bruce's father killing his mother and even Bruce's father dying in a confrontation with Banner. Literally all that was missing was the gamma bomb, which we got at another point in the movie.

As for him not being strong enough, I have only seen Superman, The Pheonix and The Silver Surfer performing feats greater than the one's Hulk did in Hulk, and thats probably about right with comic canon in my eyes.

I don't get the complaints of Hulk not being strong enough. The guy swung a tank around like a wrestler. That's just swinging 100 tons right there, and he took a blast to the chest. He then fought the helicopters, survived the collapsing of a freaking canyon, and fell from space. Then he survived a nuke. Like Jamon said, no other character has done things like that in a movie except for those he listed. He really was an unstoppable monster. I can understand people having other problems with the movie, but if they are complaining about that they just weren't paying attention. What more did you want him to do? Pick up and throw an aircraft carrier at the Golden Gate Bridge?

I dont see how the origin had too much wrong and I especially disagree with the notion he wasnt strong enough. With the origin we had Bruce's father experimenting on him, the gamma, harper was in because the rights to Rick Jones belonged with Captain America at another studio at the time, we also had the Hulk's first few transformations taking place at night like in the comics, we also had the repressed rage, Bruce's father killing his mother and even Bruce's father dying in a confrontation with Banner. Literally all that was missing was the gamma bomb, which we got at another point in the movie.

As for him not being strong enough, I have only seen Superman, The Pheonix and The Silver Surfer performing feats greater than the one's Hulk did in Hulk, and thats probably about right with comic canon in my eyes.

Well again let me QUALIFY ALL MY STATEMENTS IN THIS THREAD IT'S ALL THE FANBOY IN ME...As a reader of Hulk since about 1979, I was expecting to see that character on film and I feel we didn't get him at all. I wanted a gamma bomb and not another new origin story, what they did for the television show was fine for the time, but that didn't do it either.

I get the "spirit of the comic idea" but still it left very much to be desired. Is Rick Jones Caps property? I've heard it but haven't see it. Rick to me plays a pivotal role in Banner's/Hulk's story because he plays the part of the guy that feels responsible for the Banner's (Hulk) condition, so he's compelled and or crazy enough to stick around, long enough to learn and get an understanding of Hulk's language, and by that I mean his ways and actions, giving us an intimate view and insight of him. He becomes a friend and a translator, to both the characters in the film and the audience, that gives understanding to Hulk motives and thinking, what acts anger him and how to chill him out, without 'Betty' being that only factor. He also plays the part of showing one of Hulk's honorable traits, his extreme loyalty towards his friends. He also plays "angel's advocate" between Hulk and Bruce, keeping the desperate Banner informed of Hulk's true nature and intents, in trying to prove to Banner that Hulk is more than an animal full of rage and destruction. In other words Rick would be the bridge that shows the Misunderstood Monster aspect of the character, sorely missing in both movies.

I don't get the complaints of Hulk not being strong enough. The guy swung a tank around like a wrestler. That's just swinging 100 tons right there, and he took a blast to the chest. He then fought the helicopters, survived the collapsing of a freaking canyon, and fell from space. Then he survived a nuke. Like Jamon said, no other character has done things like that in a movie except for those he listed. He really was an unstoppable monster. I can understand people having other problems with the movie, but if they are complaining about that they just weren't paying attention. What more did you want him to do? Pick up and throw an aircraft carrier at the Golden Gate Bridge?

Believe me I've analyzed it all too, I loved the scene where he gets shot in the chest by the tank and gets up pissed and the tunneling scene was great.

To both of you guys as far as Hulk's strength. I want to see him do some insane acts of strength, personally I wasn't overly impressed. Hey, blame it on his creator Stan the Man. If in essence these are "comic books" come to life so to speak, it's he who said Hulk was "the strongest one there is." As mentioned above Superman fan's, Surfer fans, and even Spidey fans got to see better impressive acts from their favorites. I'd like to see some extreme awesomeness in the strength department. It just bugged me when Hulk tried to rip apart that Gamma Generator and couldn't, then he tried to pick it up and dropped it before he threw...it bugged me alright :yay:. I know Betty in Hulk mentioned there was possibly no end to his strength...but hell show me something ridiculous.

Definately, thats one think that dissapointed me in TIH, he seemed quite a bit weaker.

They both disappointed me in the strength aspect.

Again, I enjoyed both movies for entirely different reasons, but neither captured the Hulk in the true light of what makes him fantastic as a character.

Last edited:
What more in the strength department would you have wanted from Ang's Hulk? He was shrugging off tank shells, treating tanks like toys, catching rockets, surviving MOABs.

What more in the strength department would you have wanted from Ang's Hulk? He was shrugging off tank shells, treating tanks like toys, catching rockets, surviving MOABs.

Best bit was when he bites the warhead off the rocket and spits it back.

I want to see a "Force of Nature" in action.

Watch this Morningstar, you'll see some familiar acts. :woot:

[YT]g8gRP-aGyMc&feature=related[/YT]

Last edited:
Believe me I've analyzed it all too, I loved the scene where he gets shot in the chest by the tank and gets up pissed and the tunneling scene was great.

To both of you guys as far as Hulk's strength. I want to see him do some insane acts of strength, personally I wasn't overly impressed. Hey, blame it on his creator Stan the Man. If in essence these are "comic books" come to life so to speak, it's he who said Hulk was "the strongest one there is." As mentioned above Superman fan's, Surfer fans, and even Spidey fans got to see better impressive acts from their favorites. I'd like to see some extreme awesomeness in the strength department. It just bugged me when Hulk tried to rip apart that Gamma Generator and couldn't, then he tried to pick it up and dropped it before he threw...it bugged me alright :yay:. I know Betty in Hulk mentioned there was possibly no end to his strength...but hell show me something ridiculous.

Haha. So you do want him to pick up an aircraft carrier and throw it on the Golden Gate Bridge. Not that I wouldn't be excited to see that, but I'm cool with him throwing around tanks with the technology we have today.

Nice to see this film getting so much love!

Hulk '03 wasn't perfect but I'd say I prefer it to TIH. One thing I don't get however is the fact that so many people claiming TIH has more action. The third hulk-out in Ang's Hulk was nearly as long as all the Hulk action in TIH combined, and it involved the army battling him all the way across the desert, back to San Francisco and up into the freaking stratosphere! Staying within the confines of a field at a University Campus is hardly an improvement.

Haha. So you do want him to pick up an aircraft carrier and throw it on the Golden Gate Bridge. Not that I wouldn't be excited to see that, but I'm cool with him throwing around tanks with the technology we have today.

No E-Man into space...not a bridge but space...:cwink:

Nice to see this film getting so much love!

Hulk '03 wasn't perfect but I'd say I prefer it to TIH. One thing I don't get however is the fact that so many people claiming TIH has more action. The third hulk-out in Ang's Hulk was nearly as long as all the Hulk action in TIH combined, and it involved the army battling him all the way across the desert, back to San Francisco and up into the freaking stratosphere! Staying within the confines of a field at a University Campus is hardly an improvement.

True both movies had about the same amount of action.

^I would say Hulk had more action, the final 40 mins of the movie we barely get any Banner at all, its mostly Hulk, in TIH this wasnt the case , the longest Hulk out was the university battle and that was only about 10 mins.

I feel if Ang's Lee Hulk never existed and Marvel Studios had had the opportunity to have made theirs with a clean slate we'd have an active Hulk franchise now.

So even if I do love how deep this original film delves in Banners psyche, I still hate it for killing the Hulk.

It left such a bad taste in peoples mouths that a lot of people didn't bother giving the requel a chance.

I feel if Ang's Lee Hulk never existed and Marvel Studios had had the opportunity to have made theirs with a clean slate we'd have an active Hulk franchise now.

So even if I do love how deep this original film delves in Banners psyche, I still hate it for killing the Hulk.

It left such a bad taste in peoples mouths that a lot of people didn't bother giving the requel a chance.

I found TIH very enjoyable at times but average.

So if you offered me three average sequels vs one good movie I'd take the last one.

Sorry to be blunt but I think all of this is ********, if Batman and Robin didnt stop Batman Begins from making nearly $400 million WW, then I dont see how Hulk would stop TIH from making more than it did, not to mention BB made a killing on DVD, TIH barely made as much as Hulk, so the WOM on TIH just wasnt good enough.

TIH failed because of a number of factors, many of them listed above, but the main reason is the Hulk's characterization. Monster movies with the roaring beasts as the headliners may have worked in the 40's - 80's but they just don't have the same appeal now.

Godzilla?

King Kong anyone?

Sorry to be blunt but I think all of this is ********, if Batman and Robin didnt stop Batman Begins from making nearly $400 million WW, then I dont see how Hulk would stop TIH from making more than it did, not to mention BB made a killing on DVD, TIH barely made as much as Hulk, so the WOM on TIH just wasnt good enough.

Be blunt all you want so long as you aren't personally attacking me. :oldrazz:
TIH was released quicker in relation to Hulk than B&R to BB.
Different decade.

Plus the marketing didn't help.

I just remember that almost anyone I tried to promote The Incredible Hulk movie to responded with something relating to Angs Hulk sucking in their opinion.

I agree with everyone who said that this film was marketed extremely poorly. Just take the superbowl trialer. It's marketed as an action film when it's just the opposite.

I think it threw almost everyone off, people went to theaters expecting to see something like the Spider-Man movies and ended up getting a psychological fantasy. The design of Hulk didn't bode well with the critics who compared him to Shrek, which initially turned a lot of people off.

I think it threw almost everyone off, people went to theaters expecting to see something like the Spider-Man movies and ended up getting a psychological fantasy.

That's like going to see the new Superman movie expecting another Dark Knight.

That's like going to see the new Superman movie expecting another Dark Knight.

Exactly. Studio's need to be more honest in telling us the type of film we're going to get as far as tone. I hope the new Superman movie is not like the Dark Knight as far as tone is concerned. They are two totally different characters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"