Iron Man 3 The Official IM3 Trailer Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't see the numerous comparisons people are levying at IM3 and TDKR. Aside from a few superficial similarities (part takes place during the winter, third film in an franchise), it looks like a whole different beast.

The trailer is really good, and I'm digging John Toll's amazing camerawork here. And it feels like a tonally different movie than the previous two IM pics.

Well, what's great about sequels is that you already know each character, you know their weakness, you can explore more things that you don't usually get to do with superheroes (Batman being an exception, and perhaps Spider-Man, up to movie #2).

But the MCU is bringing a whole new set of stories to tell from the comic book universe, specially now in Phase 2, where you know the hero acknowledges he is part of a bigger superhero group. To me, it feels like a different era in the superhero movie genre. And I'm glad they're trying, at least for what the teaser shows, that they're trying something different and more challenging for everyone involved. It's gonna be great to see how Phase 2 unfolds, and how they're going to raise the stakes, both in terms of action and storytelling, expanding the mythology of every character.

Well said - Marvel have an opportunity to really do something AMAZING with the genre.

I honestly don't see the numerous comparisons people are levying at IM3 and TDKR. Aside from a few superficial similarities (part takes place during the winter, third film in an franchise), it looks like a whole different beast.

The trailer is really good, and I'm digging John Toll's amazing camerawork here. And it feels like a tonally different movie than the previous two IM pics.

I think the darker tone, the fall of the hero so completely and the shot of Pepper holding the damaged Iron Man mask remind people of some of the points of TDKR.

Even though Iron Man 2 didn't quite reach the heights of its predecessor, it looks to me that it did its job in painting the big picture for the Marvel Universe and the Iron Man trilogy. Maybe the second film being the "lighter" (or "weaker") movie will work in Iron Man 3's favor ... Big time.

I watched Iron Man 2 recently, and I honestly do NOT think it's a terrible movie. In fact, I quite enjoy the film thoroughly, and I think it holds up pretty well. Granted, it's more of a lighthearted action movie, but if Iron Man 3 blows people away with its promising heavy material, then I think Iron Man 2 served its purpose. IM2 established that Tony was part of a bigger universe, which was a perfect stepping stone for Phase 1 of the Avengers movies. Also, perhaps it's a great thing for the sake of the Iron Man Trilogy that Marvel didn't play their ace cards for the second movie, potentially setting themselves up for failure in the third movie?

Anyway, I'm going to go out and say this now: If Iron Man 3 ends up being on par or better than the first Iron Man, then I'm going to title the Iron Man films as the best superhero trilogy to date. :)

I enjoy Iron Man 2 quite a bit because it's the first time we see Iron Man really in action. In the first film Iron Man didn't have all that much to do.

I just have a feeling that it was Marvel's intention for IM2 to not pack an emotional or deep punch. The movie gave Tony a little story that ended on a really high note for him, and then ... The Avengers movie happened to him. And now Iron Man 3 is happening to him. Harsh reality is hitting Tony hard now, and that's the thing that's going to work in the third installment's favor, I think. I think that's going to give the movie more emotional weight, since we as the audience aren't used to seeing Tony so broken.

I don't know about that... they just had a weak script and the direction could have been better. I've heard that IM2 wasn't the film that Favreau wanted to make. If that's the case, then I wonder could have been.

I enjoy Iron Man 2 quite a bit because it's the first time we see Iron Man really in action. In the first film Iron Man didn't have all that much to do.

Yeah I quite enjoy Iron Man 2, its fun! Sure the first one is better but I still like it alot.

Absolutely love it so far. They needed to raise the stakes and boy did they! This was the mistake that Nolan made with putting the joker in the 2nd movie, because everything else was going to be a letdown, but in this as much flack as they got for IM2 they saved the best for last.

Granted there's alot of work still to be done, but they are making this movie a serious introspective on Tony and being Iron Man and having his identity known to everyone.

So awesome that he shows his vulnerability to the one person who knows him best, which makes his false bravado somewhat of a mask.

Mandarin is the main villian here, and likely Killian is working for him, but they made Mandarin a real threat, and now all the build up of the 10 rings stuff from the previous films pays off.

Seeing Tony go into surgury, clearly Extremis is somesort of nano tech that will truely make Tony and the suit one and the same.

Clearly this is THE superhero movie of 2013.

Super excited for IM3, but we'll see once the MoS trailer comes out. :cwink:

I was disappointed with that. The Mark 3 comes in around 1 hour and 9 minute.

By the time of 1 hour and 19 minutes it's done and Rhodey is giving his speech

We don't see Iron Man till probably 1 hour and 46 minutes

That was it for the Mark 3

Iron Man 2

-No combat scenes with the Mark 4

-Two minutes of Mark 5 action

-Mark 6 dodging drones

-A couple of minutes with the Mark 6 and War Machine

-One to two minutes with Whiplash

Avengers had more Iron Man action than both movies combined it seems

I think the darker tone, the fall of the hero so completely and the shot of Pepper holding the damaged Iron Man mask remind people of some of the points of TDKR.

The dark tone and fall of the hero are generic enough to fit tons of movies. The cracked mask mean two completely different things in TDKR and IM3. And as for the snow and winter some people bring up, that's because it's been a "motif" of Shane Black for decades....it's no secret that he sets nearly all of his movies at Christmas time.

That's Tony's personality, though. He plays it off like a joke in front of people, but he's only talking to Pepper this time.

The guy nearly died several times during The Avengers. And without the suit, he's the most vulnerable of the big 4.

I think it is more an existential dread that what happened in The Avengers is only the beginning. He shrugged off having any rivals or threats in IM2 until Mickey Rourke showed up, but even then, he still defeated him relatively easily. But in The Avengers he sees beings more powerful than he is (Hulk, Thor, Loki) as well as a huge alien army try to take out Manhattan....off HIS skyscraper.

And as the end of the Avengers not-so-subtly eludes to, more is coming. The Avengers kicking alien arse was a warning signal to be heard throughout the cosmos. What that also tells Tony is that there are forces out there beyond his ability and they are only going to come more frequently for him and those close to him I would guess it takes some of the wind out of his stride when he realizes he is not the only big kid on the block and that he is a target for most of the others as well.

I was disappointed with that. The Mark 3 comes in around 1 hour and 9 minute.

By the time of 1 hour and 19 minutes it's done and Rhodey is giving his speech

We don't see Iron Man till probably 1 hour and 46 minutes

That was it for the Mark 3

Iron Man 2

-No combat scenes with the Mark 4

-Two minutes of Mark 5 action

-Mark 6 dodging drones

-A couple of minutes with the Mark 6 and War Machine

-One to two minutes with Whiplash

Avengers had more Iron Man action than both movies combined it seems

IM you can forgive as it is an origin story. IM2 was trying so hard to weave in the greater MCU that it missed a few beats of action in favor of exotic locations.

the whiplash battle felt very short-changed.

Avengers more than made up for it but IM3 will have to match that at the very least as its the starting horse for Avengers 2

That trailer was fantastic. I have really high hopes for this.

The dark tone and fall of the hero are generic enough to fit tons of movies. The cracked mask mean two completely different things in TDKR and IM3. And as for the snow and winter some people bring up, that's because it's been a "motif" of Shane Black for decades....it's no secret that he sets nearly all of his movies at Christmas time.

All of those things in one trailer are bound to evoke a lazy comparison from people only viewing the trailer as casual fans.

Tony is also supposed to retire with Pepper, while JGL becomes the new Iron Man.

"It doesn't matter who we are. What matters is that there are no heroes."

:o

Darker tone reminds people of Nolan. If Tony is broken that might also cause some comparisons.

The new armor still appears hideous (on Captain America's level) but that's the only negative thing about the trailer. I loved nearly everything about it. IM3 is now my second most anticipated CBM of 2013. :up:

Tony is also supposed to retire with Pepper, while JGL becomes the new Iron Man.

nah uh. Pepper dies while Tony retires with Rebecca Hall in Italy while the security camera (Jarvis in disguise) watches with nodding, melancholic approval.

I do think IM2 had some nice personal moments.

All of those things in one trailer are bound to evoke a lazy comparison from people only viewing the trailer as casual fans.

Unfortunately.

Anything 'dark' or 'serious' or 'emotional' or etc is considered Nolan-esque, nowadays, apparently, but that goes to show you how much of an impact his Dark Knight trilogy had on the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"