The Official INCREDIBLE HULK Novelization Thread [ MAJOR SPOILERS ]

Cth

Sidekick
Reaction score
Just picked up my copy during lunch at Books A Million. I'll post my impressions afterwards. There will be spoilers in this thread, in theory depending on how close the novelization is to the final film.

With Norton making daily script revisions, it's hard to say, but by and large most of this will be accurate.

And for the record, I read the "First Draft" script that circulated earlier, and I liked Ang Lee's version as well. I'll point out any differences I notice, but admittedly it's been a while since I read said script so apologies for anything I miss :)

Sorry for the poor scans, but here's the first two pages of the novel for confirmation.

hulk1.jpg

hulk2.jpg

I did this last time for TRANSFORMERS as seen in this thread (if anyone wants proof of my credibility):
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=274019

SPOILER FREE REACTION:
Very positive. Bruce and Betty's relationship is actually felt this time around. The plot doesn't slow down much. Some intelligent lines and interactions between characters, not as comic booky sounding if that makes sense. All characters are fleshed out (for the most part) and stand alone on their own.. in other words, they're not carbon copies of one another and interchangable. Some unique motivations and reactions from complex characters. Ending seemed a little quick, but I'd imagine it's hard to summarize the final battle. Transformers had a similar novelization dilemma.

SPOILERS FOR THE NOVEL BEGIN BELOW

310 pages.

The novel opens in the Artic, with Bruce remembering his mother reading Frankenstein to him at a young age. A trucker gives him a lift (presumably a nod to co-writer Dan Slott, referred to as "Dan or Don or something like that.") Banner's been having these "fits" more and more, and has decided to end it all in the Arctic, out of a sense of drama. Also, so no one can find the corpse and dissect it.

He could only afford one bullet, and he struggles to control his arm as the bullet fires. The Hulk opens his hand to reveal the bullet. He smashes the ground and it breaks off and slips into the ocean. The Hulk ends up walking across the bottom of the ocean.

HULK portions are in bold and larger print.
Here's an example of what it's like when the novel refers to Hulk stuff.

It's painful, noisy, etc when Banner is the Hulk. You see why he's so irritated and has trouble concentrating/focusing. It's very much like the script describes which should be great to see on screen.

--

Three years later.

Banner is in Brazil. He has a dog named Rick.

He works at a factory bottling a drink called Amazona. He uses the name David.

A drop of Banner's blood accidentally gets into one of the bottles. Later, two brothers Jimmy and Timmy are arguing over this soda. "I hope you choke on it!" and he starts convulsing. Kathleen Spar reports this to General Ross .

--

Armand Martel (Hulkbuster), Samuel Laroquette, Craig Saunders are part of the team that Blonsky is assigned to.

The woman from the trailer who says "It's a snatch and grab operation" is Major Sparr.

Ross was Blonsky's CO in Vietnam. Green Berets.

--

Lots of flashbacks intermixed with scenes. So far it seems that they were testing a gamma gun and Betty was injured during testing. It seems he Hulked out during an explosion or something as Ross is firing a gun at him.

--

Raid on Banner's apartment goes wrong. Banner was prepared and is on the run. Banner evades them, but eventually comes face to face with Ross which is too much. His pulse is racing and he panics when he sees his pulse monitor on the rise. He bolts directly into a bully from the factory and a fight ensues.

The team shoots one of the bullies with a tranq dart and Banner loses it finally. Rad levels spike. The team is confused. Ross didn't prepare them for this. Some bullies try to flee, but the Hulk grabs one of them from the shadows as seen in the trailer.

Sparr and team fire, but bullets have no effect. Neither does a grenade.

Blonsky empties a clip into the Hulk after the team is knocked aside. That's when he sees the Hulk holding a forklift and tosses it at him.

--

Blonsky is annoyed that he wasn't properly prepared. His team is decimated. He doesn't take authority well. He demands answers from Ross.

Ross explains that the Biotech/Supersoldier program was shut down after WWII. He stole some of the serum for a "rainy day" situation.

Blonsky starts his Super Soldier treatment.

--

Banner loses his laptop. Army is scouring it for clues.

Bruce decides he has to do something and decides it's time to meet Mr. Blue face to face but needs cash.

Bruce meets up with his old boss, Stanley who owns a pizza parlor. He does some part time work to get some cash. Likely Ferrigno cameo as security guard. Bruce borrows a grad student's computer to try and locate Betty. Student's name is Amadeus Cho (in theory)

He sees Betty on campus, and is about to talk to her when he spots her with Samson. She's also talking to a redhead named Marlo (PAD reference likely?)

Bruce returns to the pizza parlor.

Meanwhile, Betty shows up and Bruce walks in and it feels like one of those tv show meetings with Jack McGee. Bruce bolts and Betty chases after him. Betty explains she has to find him to Samson and he agrees. She never opened up about her past with him and he's curious and wants to help.

Bruce starts hitchhiking and spots Betty looking for him in the rain, and feels guilty about not explaining his departure to her. She takes him in and they have a good heart to heart.

Samson, the third wheel sleeps on the couch and Bruce can't sleep, so they end up talking. Bruce confesses that something happened in their past but doesn't wanna talk about it. Samson thinks he abused her or something.

Betty agrees to drop Bruce off at the bus station and give him some cash. Samson sabotaged her car (battery is dead).

--

Flashback:

Betty, Bruce, etc were working on a program to help soldiers on the field with radiation immunity or some such. Bruce was overconfident and tested it upon himself. Lab accident resulting in Betty in a coma and Ross and Bruce fighting. Ross wants it as a weapon, Bruce refuses.

--

At campus, Bruce spots a sniper and tells Betty to go. Army moves in. Betty gets hurt by a soldier as Bruce is trapped in the overpass.

He takes off his shirt to try and keep from breathing the gas, but when Betty gets hurt he loses it.

Blonsky gets all the bones in his body shattered practically.

Sonic weapons are brought out which keep the Hulk at bay for a while. Buildings are starting to crumble from the assault. Hulk smashes two plates of metal together to counter one of the sonic weapons which gives him an opening to smash it. Army calls in air support. Betty gets loose and Ross and the army don't see her. Ross orders an all out assault and only Hulk and Samson see Betty.

Hulk escapes with Betty. Samson tells Ross he now knows why Betty never talked about him.

--

Hulk rescues Betty from the military attack on campus. They're in a cave. She's passed out. He's watching her, wary and cautious. She awakes. It thunders outside and he jumps a bit, and rages at the storm. He goes outside and throws a boulder at the sky to make the noise stop. He returns and his wounds start healing. She strokes his arm which soothes him. Eventually, he rests on his side, stretches like a normal person, sighs and drifts off to sleep slightly snoring.

--

Betty cuts Bruce's hair. They resolve to go on the run, selling her mom's locket. Bruce swallowed a datacard with research and pukes it up. He needs this to work on a cure with Mr. Blue. He had nowhere else to put it.

Bruce and Betty are stuck in traffic. Army roadblock is ahead. Stan Lee guest appearance as boat operator that helps them bypass the roadblock.

They go to Mr. Blue's office.

--

Blonsky gets another treatment and starts healing, getting even stronger.

Overhears Ross' view of him as a weapon. Something to keep in reserve in case the Hulk shows up. He wants to be the first line of attack. He's becoming more aggressive.

--

Transformation scene excerpt from when Sterns tries to cure Bruce.

She knew what was coming, but even so she jumped at the same time that the electricity jolted through Bruce's body. He spasmed, every muscle in his body straining against the restraints. She stifled a cry. Bruce wasn't wearing his pulse monitor, but she didn't need to see readouts to know that his pulse was through the roof.

Sterns watched, his face impassive.

Then Banner's eyes snapped open, and she saw green light glowing in his eyes. A pulse of green energy erupted from the base of his skull, sending gamma radiation shooting through his entire body.

For the first time, Sterns looked startled, as if he had been operating on the assumption that nothing could surprise him and was only just now getting an inkling of how much he didn't know. "My God," he said.

It was Betty's turn to become dispassionate after her initial reaction to Bruce's painful jolt. "There's more. Wait for it."

Banner's body began to swell, stretch, and harden. Sterns was visibly staggered. He stumbled back as if someone had just punched him in the chest, but he didn't look away. He didn't even blink. For Betty it was the equivalent of watching the man she loved being tortured in front of her -- a torture in which she was complicit. Banner howled in agony, and it was all Betty could do not to shut down the entire procedure.

Sterns took several steps toward Banner, staring at the changes that his body was undergoing. Betty noticed too late. She tried to grab Sterns, to pull him back, but that moment the restraints popped like rubber bands and one of them struck Sterns right in the face. It was like being hit in the face with a two-by-four, and Sterns was knocked back, dazed.

Bruce had not yet hit his full transformed growth, but he was already over six feet and growing fast. The only thing that stopped him from leaping clear of the table and destroying the lab was that he was still writhing in the throes of electricity. Within seconds, though, the voltage would lose the power to hurt him. There wouldn't be enough electricity in the world to hurt him.

"Now! Do it!" said Betty.

The table began to buckle under the weight of Bruce's changing body as he continued to grow. He raised his head and his faced twisted in a snarl.

Betty yanked the wires clear of Bruce's head. The flow of electricity ceased, but that didn't stop the change from progressing. He was too far gone for that. Taking the only gamble she could, she jumped onto the table over him, leaning over his massive torso, looking into his eyes.

"Bruce, stay with me!"

He howled from the agony of the transformation, but there was a fierce desperation in his eyes, which Betty saw as a determination to hold onto what shreds of his own personality might still be there. She turned and shouted to Sterns, "Do it now!"

--

The military has a lead on Banner. They analyze Bruce's laptop. Concentrating on Mr. Blue and cellular biology, they find a video online of Sterns who changed a student's skin blue in a demonstration.

--
Sterns reveals he's been experimenting on cloned material from Bruce's samples he's been sending over the years. Sterns is an anarchist and plays loose with ethics with his experiments. Bruce is horrified.

--

Military closes in. Sterns says all three of them can get the Nobel prize. Distracted, they're caught unaware when Bruce is hit with a tranq dart and Blonsky moves in. He smashes Betty 5 feet in the air.

He's ordered to stand down.

Bruce is taken into custody and shackled.

Blonsky goes nuts and takes out Sterns' guards and demands Sterns assistance in boosting him more with Bruce's blood. He's addicted to the power.

--

Reports of a ten foot monster on the loose surface from the campus. There's confusion since Bruce is in custody.

Sterns is passed out in the corner with a gash on his forehead. Some of Bruce's blood pours into the wound.

Sparr wakes and says that Sterns is dead.

--

Military tries to get a camera feed on this new Hulk sighting. They confirm it's not Sterns or Banner and conclude it's Blonsky.

They discuss bringing in the sonic weapons again, but decline since it was destroying buildings on campus.

Bruce volunteers. Says he can't control it, but he can try to aim it (Hulk) at Blonsky.

He says to take him up high. He'll jump because he knows the Hulk won't let him commit suicide. He confesses he tried to kill himself to Betty because he thought he hurt her.

--

Fight ensues.

Abomination goes after Betty's chopper. It gets swatted down. Betty's in danger of being caught in a fire explosion. Hulk uses his brain and "vacuum/thunderclaps" the flames out.

People
"Which one's the Hulk?"

Ross
"The one who's winning. The one who's here to save your asses!"

Fight goes back and forth until Abomination gets his leg caught in a fissure he created by hitting the ground (and the Hulk dodged) He tries to choke Hulk with a chain, but Hulk gets the upper hand and returns the favor.

--

Hulk subdues Abomination without killing him, after Betty pleads with him.

Crowd is cheering HULK! HULK! HULK!

END CAMEO
Stark apparently showed up post battle with containment shackles he developed "just in case" and had taken the Abomination to be housed in a containment center named THE VAULT.

"Trust me .. the way things have been going lately, you're going to have more use for this facility than you could possibly believe."

Ross is drinking because he knows he's going to have to go before Congress to answer for the fight in NY.

UPDATE
Finished

Hard to say. I'm reading it in my office now hoping no one comes in to bother me :D

After work, I have to pick up my daughter from daycare.

It's a long trip home, so I should be finished by that point later tonight.

I'll keep updating it for the next hour and a half, and then take a break until later tonight.

Hard to say. I'm reading it in my office now hoping no one comes in to bother me :D

After work, I have to pick up my daughter from daycare.

It's a long trip home, so I should be finished by that point later tonight.

I'll keep updating it for the next hour and a half, and then take a break until later tonight.

sweet thanx for the effort, i dont mind hearing spoilers as i read the spiderman 3 novel and it was different then the final.. they add extras to pad the book or things they couldnt do in the movie, the book is sometimes better then the movies especially spiderman 3 lol.. thanx for the effort tho, how is it written? is it fdetailed on descriptions or vague? have you read about when he hulks out? does it describe the transformation? what does the cover look like?

sweet thanx for the effort, i dont mind hearing spoilers as i read the spiderman 3 novel and it was different then the final.. they add extras to pad the book or things they couldnt do in the movie, the book is sometimes better then the movies especially spiderman 3 lol.. thanx for the effort tho, how is it written? is it fdetailed on descriptions or vague? have you read about when he hulks out? does it describe the transformation? what does the cover look like?

Yeah, especially where PAD's involved. I hope some of these nods to the fans make it through :D

As far as a transformation.. I haven't gotten to a full one yet. It's always from Banner's POV so far. Like seeing an arm jut in from off screen, huge, miscolored, etc. So, chances are we'll see it from Banner's point of view at times.

The cover is the same as this one:
31DnZrdzk1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yeah, especially where PAD's involved. I hope some of these nods to the fans make it through :D

As far as a transformation.. I haven't gotten to a full one yet. It's always from Banner's POV so far. Like seeing an arm jut in from off screen, huge, miscolored, etc. So, chances are we'll see it from Banner's point of view at times.

The cover is the same as this one:
31DnZrdzk1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

thanx a lot.. im wondering if in the movie the transformation is like the one in the stretcher or if its just quick cuts, it would be cool if it was something akin to a werewolf transformation where it shows the body changing, not just u know quick cuts and screams etc..

Dogs name...obviously a nod to Mr.jones .:cwink:

thanx a lot.. im wondering if in the movie the transformation is like the one in the stretcher or if its just quick cuts, it would be cool if it was something akin to a werewolf transformation where it shows the body changing, not just u know quick cuts and screams etc..

We already know we'll see the transformation as we saw banner changing in the trailer, where he's strapped to the chair, screaming as his bones begin to expand, I don't see how they can cut away from that really.

We already know we'll see the transformation as we saw banner changing in the trailer, where he's strapped to the chair, screaming as his bones begin to expand, I don't see how they can cut away from that really.

Well as i hear it, that scene is not a full transformation.

Well as i hear it, that scene is not a full transformation.

In the script it is
He transforms and then Betty jumps on him and tells bruce to fight it

Excerpt from that transformation scene:

She knew what was coming, but even so she jumped at the same time that the electricity jolted through Bruce's body. He spasmed, every muscle in his body straining against the restraints. She stifled a cry. Bruce wasn't wearing his pulse monitor, but she didn't need to see readouts to know that his pulse was through the roof.

Sterns watched, his face impassive.

Then Banner's eyes snapped open, and she saw green light glowing in his eyes. A pulse of green energy erupted from the base of his skull, sending gamma radiation shooting through his entire body.

For the first time, Sterns looked startled, as if he had been operating on the assumption that nothing could surprise him and was only just now getting an inkling of how much he didn't know. "My God," he said.

It was Betty's turn to become dispassionate after her initial reaction to Bruce's painful jolt. "There's more. Wait for it."

Banner's body began to swell, stretch, and harden. Sterns was visibly staggered. He stumbled back as if someone had just punched him in the chest, but he didn't look away. He didn't even blink. For Betty it was the equivalent of watching the man she loved being tortured in front of her -- a torture in which she was complicit. Banner howled in agony, and it was all Betty could do not to shut down the entire procedure.

Sterns took several steps toward Banner, staring at the changes that his body was undergoing. Betty noticed too late. She tried to grab Sterns, to pull him back, but that moment the restraints popped like rubber bands and one of them struck Sterns right in the face. It was like being hit in the face with a two-by-four, and Sterns was knocked back, dazed.

Bruce had not yet hit his full transformed growth, but he was already over six feet and growing fast. The only thing that stopped him from leaping clear of the table and destroying the lab was that he was still writhing in the throes of electricity. Within seconds, though, the voltage would lose the power to hurt him. There wouldn't be enough electricity in the world to hurt him.

"Now! Do it!" said Betty.

The table began to buckle under the weight of Bruce's changing body as he continued to grow. He raised his head and his faced twisted in a snarl.

Betty yanked the wires clear of Bruce's head. The flow of electricity ceased, but that didn't stop the change from progressing. He was too far gone for that. Taking the only gamble she could, she jumped onto the table over him, leaning over his massive torso, looking into his eyes.

"Bruce, stay with me!"

He howled from the agony of the transformation, but there was a fierce desperation in his eyes, which Betty saw as a determination to hold onto what shreds of his own personality might still be there. She turned and shouted to Sterns, "Do it now!"

yeah thats the part i was talkign about, i mean what if its just a bumch of like lighting flashes or whatever to show progress, i want like one continous uncut shot. that would be sweet..

Is that an extract verbatim? The writing is pretty weak IMHO.

wow that was a good read i might have to pick this up.. thanx for that..

yeah thats the part i was talkign about, i mean what if its just a bumch of like lighting flashes or whatever to show progress, i want like one continous uncut shot. that would be sweet..

Yeah I don't think they can really do that considering how the scene plays out and as Cth just posted looks like we'll seen it all, yay! :woot:.

i just called my bookstore and they have it, thanx for the heads up im going to go pick up my copy tomorrow so im gonna be avoiding this thread, thanx for the read tho it convinced me to check it out, only 9 dollars too not bad..

I left out the ending to that scene :D

Neat moment.

It seems they changed the end of the final battle relative to the script.

I'm tempted to read/hear more but i want to be surprised.

Has anyone read the Childrens version yet (besides me!)? As far as I can tell from all the spoilers I've read it's the basic plot of the movie but no pad or filler like the adult Novelization. If you want to know the exact plot, but don't want to wait for the street date of the adult version I totally recommend lowering your reading level to like 8 years old and getting this book. There are pictures in the middle! I feel like such a loser for having picked this book up. Of course, nothing beats the fact that I picked up the "learning to read" book that is titled "My search for a cure". BWAHAHA!

I am such a dork, aren't I?
~Snowy

What does "My Search For A Cure" have in it? I still chuckle remembering the children's book where Venom was called bad because he's mean to Spidey's friends.

I really like the novelization's take on the final battle. [blackout]Hulk is not a killer. I'm glad they had Betty calming him down enough for Hulk to just knock Blonsky out. Also...the Vault? A definite push towards the Leader? They're really trying to set up this collective Marvel Universe here. Time for that fanboy giggle again...[/blackout]

What does "My Search For A Cure" have in it? I still chuckle remembering the children's book where Venom was called bad because he's mean to Spidey's friends.

I really like the novelization's take on the final battle. [blackout]Hulk is not a killer. I'm glad they had Betty calming him down enough for Hulk to just knock Blonsky out. Also...the Vault? A definite push towards the Leader? They're really trying to set up this collective Marvel Universe here. Time for that fanboy giggle again...[/blackout]
you think the movie will end that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"