The Official INCREDIBLE HULK Novelization Thread [ MAJOR SPOILERS ]

Hulk is not a blatent killer. He'll kill to defend himself and others, but he's not going to snap a bad guys neck like he's early 90's Steven Segal just because he one the fight.

Personally, I'm happy with what I heard about the ending, I'm sick of Superhero movies where the bad guy is killed. Something not very heroic about that to me.

yeah..exactly. The original ending just seemed a little too hardcore considering the character's history.

Hulk is not a blatent killer. He'll kill to defend himself and others, but he's not going to snap a bad guys neck like he's early 90's Steven Segal just because he one the fight.

Personally, I'm happy with what I heard about the ending, I'm sick of Superhero movies where the bad guy is killed. Something not very heroic about that to me.
well when you think about most deaths are accidental or self inflicted, accidentally.

The Spidey films went overboard with the bad guy deaths (only the Goblin's was necessary), but Burton did it first. Joker, the Penguin...you gotta admit that he opened the door for Rampant Unnecessary Supervillain Deaths.

The Spidey films went overboard with the bad guy deaths (only the Goblin's was necessary), but Burton did it first. Joker, the Penguin...you gotta admit that he opened the door for Rampant Unnecessary Supervillain Deaths.

Burton's whole deal with Batman was out of character for me, and I think alot of other fans as well, which is the reason why I prefer Batman Begins. Just the fact that Burton showed Batman willingly kill plenty of people, not just the main villain, really moved it from being films about Batman into films based on Batman IMO, especially Batman Returns. I appreciate the political undertone and some of the smarter aspects of it, but Batman was flamebroiling people with the Batmobile fire exhaust, strapping dynamite on guys, it was just a bit much for someone who is supposed to have a certain set of morals.

Talk about cliche' endings.

I'm kind of hoping that if this movie does get the sequel with the Leader, that his wits gets him away in the end or something that will surprise.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that, it seems, in this film as in the first, the filmakers don't really let us relate to the Hulk as a character?

In the comics (when I read them 100 years ago) my favorite moments where when the hulk was in the woods, at peace, enjoying nature, and then those damn humans would show up shooting at him: "Why do puny humans always bother Hulk? Hulk just wants to be alone."

I also remember a scene in the TV show (the original pilot?) when the Hulk is trying to save a little girl in a lake, and her father is shooting at him. That was a great, memorable scene, and there was nothing like that for me in this story.

Every hero needs a certain weakness. For Superman, it's Kryptonite, for the Hulk it's his heart.

He had such an innocence in the comics that even though he was the strongest thing on the planet, the reader felt almost a paternal urge to protect him from the evil world.

The "misunderstood monster" is a classic theme that has worked throughout the history of literature. Think Hunchback of Notre Dame, think Frankenstein.

Am I dwelling on something that really isn't needed, or does anyone else think the film-makers should include more of the vulnerable side of the Hulk if they want these movies to ever really work?

I would think that
Hulk protecting Betty from gatling guns and healing his wounds in the cave
will be more than enough to help us relate. If the novel's ending is to be believed, then there's also another scene that'll add character to him.

I would think that
Hulk protecting Betty from gatling guns and healing his wounds in the cave
will be more than enough to help us relate. If the novel's ending is to be believed, then there's also another scene that'll add character to him.

In your opinion, do you think The Incredible Hulk will have Hulk's healing ability a little more frequently used or show more of it's capabilities?

Not quite sure how I feel about
how deowered his leap's sound like they are going to be
. The main thing I liked about Lee's Hulk was how agile he was and how fast he moved. "How can something so big move so fast" is a quote about Hulk from the comic that always stuck in my head, and Ang showed a great depiction of it. I hope the action moves as fluid.

I wish there was more confirmation about Hulk speaking, but in a way, I want to be surprised.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that, it seems, in this film as in the first, the filmakers don't really let us relate to the Hulk as a character?

In the comics (when I read them 100 years ago) my favorite moments where when the hulk was in the woods, at peace, enjoying nature, and then those damn humans would show up shooting at him: "Why do puny humans always bother Hulk? Hulk just wants to be alone."

I also remember a scene in the TV show (the original pilot?) when the Hulk is trying to save a little girl in a lake, and her father is shooting at him. That was a great, memorable scene, and there was nothing like that for me in this story.

Every hero needs a certain weakness. For Superman, it's Kryptonite, for the Hulk it's his heart.

He had such an innocence in the comics that even though he was the strongest thing on the planet, the reader felt almost a paternal urge to protect him from the evil world.

The "misunderstood monster" is a classic theme that has worked throughout the history of literature. Think Hunchback of Notre Dame, think Frankenstein.

Am I dwelling on something that really isn't needed, or does anyone else think the film-makers should include more of the vulnerable side of the Hulk if they want these movies to ever really work?

I can definitely feel your pain on this, although I do think Ang tried a little. I recall that scene where the Hulk is just chilling out looking at the vegetation, and then Thunderbolt and the helicopters show up to spoil his evening. Also when he's just looking at Betty outside of her house, and when he lands in front of his old home on the desert base and he's studying it, trying to remember his childhood. Subtle things like that are what I really appreciated about Ang's film, but I'm afraid its those same things that most average moviegoers could care less about. It seems as though when the Hulk is portrayed as a character that just wants to be left alone, he comes across less heroic, and more about self-preservation, which to a certain extent, is the mindless Hulk at its core. On the other hand, if they take some of that away, it'll seem as though he's a real hero, albeit an ultra violent one. Its just one of those weird nuances of his core character that's hard to navigate, hence his status as the reluctant anti-hero, which can be hard to cheer, which is why its important we relate to Banner on much deeper scale this time...

In your opinion, do you think The Incredible Hulk will have Hulk's healing ability a little more frequently used or show more of it's capabilities?

I'd say that if you liked how it worked in the TV show it'll work for you here.

I'd say that if you liked how it worked in the TV show it'll work for you here.

I never watched the show, whatever. This movie seams to have a TON of similarities to the TV show, and I know that they said it would but I never thought there would be this many things.

I'm surprised Abomination doesn't die.

Is Tony in the IM suit or is it just Tony?

I'm surprised Abomination doesn't die.

Is Tony in the IM suit or is it just Tony?

It's just Tony. I wonder if this will bring up the Avengers and the possibility of Hulkbusters?

As for those concerns about Hulk not being character we can relate to? I think you'll see that in the scene where he's sitting in the rain with Betty.

Good post. You are not alone in your thoughts. This is exactly the how I see him.

I can definitely feel your pain on this, although I do think Ang tried a little....

I agree with your post and would say this is why, in my opinion, the Hulk needs to have a voice. Facial expressions are all good and grand but if The Hulk would have been able to express himself through talking and not goofy looks Angs movie might have come across better. Just my opinion. Good post Doc

To be honest, no.

No one has really done it right in the comics for a long time.

And here's how the public perceives Salad Head.. so it's better he's fairly limited.

REVIEW OF HULK GAME, WITH HULK SPEECH
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/theincrediblehulk/news.html?sid=6191122&mode=recent

(which apparently The Onion did as well, and got similar ridiculement)
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33980

And Digg's take on the "Hulk's" review:
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Gamespot_s_Hilarious_Preview_of_The_Incredible_Hulk_Game

Cookie Monster.. yeesh.

I love the Hulk speech in the GameSpot preview. Favorite line:

And Hulk hear that archrival Abomination is in game. Ho ho. That rich. Hulk tell Abomination to "bring it" because Hulk will take him to Funky Town, where Hulk is mayor.

Not quite sure how I feel about
how deowered his leap's sound like they are going to be
. The main thing I liked about Lee's Hulk was how agile he was and how fast he moved. "How can something so big move so fast" is a quote about Hulk from the comic that always stuck in my head, and Ang showed a great depiction of it. I hope the action moves as fluid.

I wish there was more confirmation about Hulk speaking, but in a way, I want to be surprised.

From where did you hear it was depowerred?

From where did you hear it was de-powered?

It's in the book, he runs more than leaps, and his healing factor is slowed so it takes him a while to heal from major wounds.And at the end he cant even clear the Hudson from Manhattan to New Jersey.

Can't believe this hasn't been asked before:

Does Hulk have any lines in the novel?

It's in the book, he runs more than leaps, and his healing factor is slowed so it takes him a while to heal from major wounds.And at the end he cant even clear the Hudson from Manhattan to New Jersey.

He lands [BLACKOUT]in the Hudson[/BLACKOUT]? Poor S.O.B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"