The Dark Knight Rises The Official Jim Gordon / Gary Oldman Thread

Boom

I got nothin'
Reaction score
In light of the recent string of Gary Oldman interviews, I figure we are overdue for a thread dedicated to all things Gordon and Oldman.

Where will Jimbo's arc be taken in The Dark Knight Rises?

Discuss.

oldman(4).jpg

I hope his story is completed as well and he gets his tumbler.

I am looking forward to seeing what Nolan has in store for Gordon.
Truth be told, while Pat Hingle was a great actor, he was by no means a Gordon.
Gary Oldman, on the other hand, has done a terrific job with the role.

I don't think anybody can deny that Oldman has been stupendous as Gordon, pretty much a flawless portrayal. Just look at Long Halloween, that IS Oldman as Jim.

Gordon's mustache will save Batman this time.

I hope he does something about his stupid kid.

I love Oldman's Gordon so much and I really think a scene where he finds out that Bruce is Batman could be an amazing scene full of a lot of different emotions.

bluh bluh he should cheat on his wife that would be so edgy and unexpected so it will be cool loloollol

I don't think anybody can deny that Oldman has been stupendous as Gordon, pretty much a flawless portrayal. Just look at Long Halloween, that IS Oldman as Jim.

Upon reading it, I heard his voice and saw his face every time he had a panel. :up: :up:

Truly adore Oldman in this role. He's perfect, no question.

Gordon should do something about getting rid of those dirty cops now his in charge and after what happened to Rachel and Harvey.

Gordon should have a lot to do in this movie, like in TDK. He's one of the few who knows the truth behind the Dent/Batman murders, and I'd like to see some repercussions of it all on his family. Maybe his wife left him after the events of TDK. Between him faking his death, and then them being abducted by Two Face, it was just too much for her.

I hope Gordon gets a scene with one of the new villains. I loved his short exchange with the Joker in the interrogation room. Plus his scenes with Dent were always terrific. Especially in the climax.

Yeah I hope we get to see much of Gordon this time as well. I love Oldman's portrayal of him!

Gordon should have a lot to do in this movie, like in TDK. He's one of the few who knows the truth behind the Dent/Batman murders, and I'd like to see some repercussions of it all on his family. Maybe his wife left him after the events of TDK. Between him faking his death, and then them being abducted by Two Face, it was just too much for her.

I hope Gordon gets a scene with one of the new villains. I loved his short exchange with the Joker in the interrogation room. Plus his scenes with Dent were always terrific. Especially in the climax.

I agree and yeah love those scenes.

Truly adore Oldman in this role. He's perfect, no question.

^ X2 Oldman is Gordon to me.

Not that I think it's really needed, but this could be a tidy way of allowing Jim into a new relationship without the distaste of infidelity.

I hope he finds out Bruce is Batman by the end of this film.

I wouldn't want this, but a scene like what happened in No Man's Land would be nice with Batman offering to reveal to Gordon who he is, and Gordon turning away and saying something to the effect of "What makes you think I don't know who you are already?"

I hope he finds out Bruce is Batman by the end of this film.
images

"You know, I'm practically blind without my glasses."

You can hear him saying it, amirite?

Yeah I'd be willing to bet that Gordon's wife has left him between the events of TDK and TDKR. You can't just do what he did without some serious repercussions. So I think there will be a lot for Oldman to work with between the stress of the job and the lack of a family to come home to.

I honestly think Gordon's wife leaving him in TDKR would be brilliant.

It's depressing, but it's also perfectly understandable. First, Gordon puts his family through hell by faking his own death. Then, his family is held at gunpoint. And then, they're all forced to keep their mouths shut in order to preserve the cover-up. The man that almost killed their son is regarded by the city as a hero. I wouldn't blame Gordon's wife for wanting to leave Gotham after that, or at the very least wanting Gordon to change jobs. But Gordon won't want to do either.

It'd be an interesting arc for the character. It would tie back to what The Joker said about Gordon being alone.

Batman shouldn't be the only one to suffer the aftermath of TDK. Gordon lost a close ally in Harvey Dent - whose fall and death he feels responsible for. He's no longer able to openly communicate and work with his closest ally (Batman), without risking everything. But if he were to lose his family as well? Damn. That has the potential for some powerful stuff.

Last edited:
I was originally against Barbara leaving him, but you made it sound like something I'd like to see, Boom.

Year One's Gordon is the most like Oldman's Gordon to me. Alongside TIH. But especially Year One, he looks like he walked out of the comics. I still can't believe people complained about that casting.

I was originally against Barbara leaving him, but you made it sound like something I'd like to see, Boom.

If it was a Batman tv series, the way Boom typed it up, would be an intersting thing to do with the character. but, the third 'concluding' part of a trilogy? It would be a bit too depressing I think to have one of the very likeable heroes of the series lose his family, not to mention there would probably not be enough screen time to do that kind of characterisation and plot justice.

Year One's Gordon is the most like Oldman's Gordon to me. Alongside TIH. But especially Year One, he looks like he walked out of the comics. I still can't believe people complained about that casting.

Yeah, my older brother, who knows his films, and has read a fair few comics, including Year One, did not realise it was Oldman playing gordon until he saw the end credits. At first I was disapointed that the guy from 'Adaptation' had knocked back the gig when Nolan asked him, can't recall his name right now, but now i am really glad Oldman got the part instead, I can't imagine, Chris cooper his name is, embodying the cb character quite as well.

The depressing angle is certainly a good point.

Obviously, the trilogy needs to end on an uplifting note. Since he is one of the main characters, Gordon's arc should have a positive resolution in the end. I figure the easy approach would be for Gordon's family to come back to him in the end, but that runs the risk of being really cheesy and soap-opera-ish.

I just think it'd be an interested place to take the character. It just goes to show that things don't always work out for the good guys, and that Batman is not the only one who's had to make sacrifices for the sake of saving Gotham.

Last edited:
Two words "Heart attack." Just like in the comic when he had the heart attack leaving Batman without his friend and ally, I think they should have him in some way infirmed and not able to curb the police's attempts to get Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"