The Dark Knight Rises The Official Jim Gordon / Gary Oldman Thread

Gordon's strongest role was in TDK, no doubt. Here..I don't know. He did a lot..but he had no arc.

He's played that angle in all three films. He's a bumbling badass with a heart of gold. It's not new to this movie. :)

Gordon had a mini-arc... he's given himself to Gotham as much as Batman... he gets shot, injured, he lost his family (they moved away), he's got nothing left... and the lie he is keeping a secret is tearing him apart... Batman returns, truth is revealed, and he can be content now.

That's not really an arc...and he changed pretty much not at all...seeing as how he didn't come clean...Bane did it for him. The movie made it seem like he was basically going a little nuts...but then wasn't.

Gordon had a mini-arc... he's given himself to Gotham as much as Batman... he gets shot, injured, he lost his family (they moved away), he's got nothing left... and the lie he is keeping a secret is tearing him apart... Batman returns, truth is revealed, and he can be content now.

I already knew this but you putting it so succinctly reminds me of the beauty of it all...:waa: Gordon's such a great character.

It annoyed me greatly that they mentioned Gordon's family leaving him and then didn't following up on that at all. I was expecting Gordon to go home at the end of the movie and find them waiting for him. That would have had me bawling like an infant.

I don't know. After how brilliantly they handled Gordon in TDK, I was massively disappointed with what little they did with him in this film.

I thought Gordon was handled very well by Nolans. I thought he
died this time after he saved himself from the sewers.
Oldman is Gordon.

Had no idea what he said to blake when theyre watching tv... It was like blarghrblahajava!

I thought he was in hospital wayyy too long.

Now when I think about it, if they had the time to spare in the film, I wouldn't have minded seeing a very short scene where we see Gordon reuniting with his wife and family.

Now when I think about it, if they had the time to spare in the film, I wouldn't have minded seeing a very short scene where we see Gordon reuniting with his wife and family.

Yeh I agree I thought if anyone deserved a happy ending to this trilogy it was Gordon. Instead he gets....well nothing

Yeah, he kind of just serves as a narrator of sorts in this movie. He doesn't really get much of a resolution himself. There was a bit about how the mayor was going to let him go, but that wasn't explored at all. There was a bit about how his family had left for Cleveland, that wasn't explored. He sort of half-served as a mentor to Blake, but that wasn't explored...he's basically a plot device in this movie, though he does have a few nice emotional scenes, brief as they are.

It annoyed me greatly that they mentioned Gordon's family leaving him and then didn't following up on that at all. I was expecting Gordon to go home at the end of the movie and find them waiting for him. That would have had me bawling like an infant.

I don't know. After how brilliantly they handled Gordon in TDK, I was massively disappointed with what little they did with him in this film.
That was never going to happen, between the end of TDK and the speech read out by Bane, it was clear that Gordon family was a major casualty of what went down in TDK.

I think they mean they never deal with it. Bruce never mentions it, Gordon never talks about it, Blake never discusses it...there were some ways to make that relevant, and you'd think it would be an important part of his life, and it just wasn't dealt with at all.

Gordon's strongest role was in TDK, no doubt. Here..I don't know. He did a lot..but he had no arc.

I agree. It's the weakest Gordon outing for Oldman. He was there a lot, but he didn't get many moments to shine or impress like he did in the previous two. Especially in TDK.

I was trying to put my finger on what this movie lacked....not enough Gordon! I have to agree with others...he was bumbling, difficult to understand at times, seems absent a lot from the first half of the film, and really not much redemption for him in the end. :(

I definitely wished there was more of Gordon in TDKR. And yeah, I like the idea of him having some resolution with his family as well in the end. Overall, there seems to have been teases of character development for him but was never really explored. Instead, he was stuck in the hospital. I'm disappointed too in the hospital scene between him and Bruce. It was too short and the cut was so sudden. It could've been a highlight in the movie given the wonderful relationship between him and Bruce.

LOVED the [blackout]reveal[/blackout] though. FANTASTIC. I was close to tears on that scene.

Question -

Are we on the consensus that he knew that Bruce lived based on the new fixed Batsignal? I'm seeing mixed interpretations on that one. He looked pleasantly surprised so I'm hoping it means that he knows that Bruce is alive. I think he deserves to know that.

Would have been nice if his family visited him in the hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"