Guardians of the Galaxy The Official Karen Gillan Topic

I_am_iron_man

Civilian
Reaction score
From: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/doctor-who-star-joins-marvels-561293

Karen Gillan, who starred as Doctor Who’s companion for several seasons on the hit BBC show, is joining the cast of Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy.

Marvel Signs WWE's Dave Bautista for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' (Exclusive)
The movie is barreling towards a late June shoot in the UK with James Gunn behind the camera.
The movie is in casting mode, with Glenn Close joining the roll call earlier this week. Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista lead the cast of Marvel's space adventure movie, which has Lee Pace and Michael Rooker as villains.

Details for Gillan's role were not revealed although it is known she will play the film’s lead female villain.

karen-gillan-f-1-party-natural-history-museum-london-06-560x812.jpg

I think the "Male villain/ female villain" dynamic narrows it down to:

1. Magus and The Matriarch of the Universal Truth
2. Korvac and Carina
3. Kang and Ravonna

Even with my admittedly limited knowledge of Marvel Cosmic, Universal Church of Truth sounds like a smart call.

I think the "Male villain/ female villain" dynamic narrows it down to:

1. Magus and The Matriarch of the Universal Truth
2. Korvac and Carina
3. Kang and Ravonna

4. Thanos and Death
5. Thanos and Moondragon

Oh Marvel, you're just spoiling me at this rate.

6. Thanos and Nebula

Kang and Moondragon would be my favorites to face off against a team that includes another mismatched father-daughter combo. What made Loki and Stane such great villains in Phase I was their familial relationship with the heroes. Gamora and Drax battling Thanos and Moondragon could be both exciting and touching.

>Karen Gillan as lead villain

HNNNNNNNGGGHHHHHH

Matriarch of the UCT or Terraxia because Thanos. Or Moondragon as a space pirate along with Yondu.

Last edited:
I think Nebula as a space pirate makes more sense.

Wraith and Ra-Ven?

Obscure choice I know and they were more anti-heroes if I remember correctly, but whatever....name dropped

Nebula as a space pirate; or Oola Udonta, Queen of the Centaurians (Yondu's front and center as the "main villain" in this, remember? And he's Centaurian. And he's kinfolk to Oola). Yondu is probably allied with her, either way.

It's gotta be the grim reaper.

Out of left field choice what if its more of an antagonist than a villain? Oh my god, imagine if she was Crystal from the Inhumans!

I can't picture Death being a lead villain of anything...

sooo many villains... Lovibond, Pace, Rooker, Gillan, Close maybe.... a lot of antagonists

Yeah I noticed that too. The cast is mostly made out of people being described as "villains". Guess that comes with the Guardians being ex-cons and space pirates.

sooo many villains... Lovibond, Pace, Rooker, Gillan, Close maybe.... a lot of antagonists

That's why I think this movie is heading in one of two directions: (a) cops vs. robbers, with the plot essentially boiling down to Nova Corps chasing down the Guardians, only to discover that the GOTG are really good guys in the final analysis; in which case all these "antagonists" are just members of Nova Corps; or (b) it's not just the cops (Nova Corps) that are after the Guardians, but several rival criminal organizations, including space pirates, who want whatever Maguffin the Guardians have in their possession.

I've suggested in the other thread that maybe she's playing Nikki:

Nikki_001.jpg

She's one of the original Guardians and would make sense alongside Yondu. She also looks more like Nikki (who is more of a young girl) than Moondragon.

That's why I think this movie is heading in one of two directions: (a) cops vs. robbers, with the plot essentially boiling down to Nova Corps chasing down the Guardians, only to discover that the GOTG are really good guys in the final analysis; in which case all these "antagonists" are just members of Nova Corps; or (b) it's not just the cops (Nova Corps) that are after the Guardians, but several rival criminal organizations, including space pirates, who want whatever Maguffin the Guardians have in their possession.
b sounds like the most likely option. Also, some of us were wondering how they would adopt the DnA Guardians run when they can't really use a lot from it. Well, as it turns out, it looks like they will be drawing most of the DnA inspiration from the Nova portion of the DnA run. The Nova Corps, Worldmind, Xandar, etc were never really touched on and expanded upon until the DnA run. The idea of the Nova Corps actually being an active group of intergalactic police was only shown in-depth in the DnA run.

I've suggested in the other thread that maybe she's playing Nikki:

She's one of the original Guardians and would make sense alongside Yondu. She also looks more like Nikki (who is more of a young girl) than Moondragon.
Maybe, it seems as likely as anything brought up so far. But I'd rather she be Nebula. If they're going to call her Nikki then I hope she's at least Nebula in essence, like I think Yondu will be Zorr in essence.

Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing much of the classic GOTG other than Yondu. I think Yondu was just picked to be a pretty cool space pirate, and maybe Gunn is saving a plot twist (that we comic-book nerds already know) that Yondu is really from the far future, and is a good guy from the future Guardians, and has come back through time for the Maguffin that the GOTG possess. I wouldn't expect to see Nikki, or the rest of 31cen GOTG. I certainly wouldn't expect to see Vance Astro, since that would create a whole lotta confusion with the Captain America story.

Also, concerning your theory about there being multiple parties after whatever the Guardians have, it would explain whey the Guardians band together. If there are multiple groups all fighting for the same thing and the Guardians want in on the action for their individual reasons, then it makes sense for them to team up in the race to get whatever it is every one wants.

This is kind of an out of left field comparison for this, but there's a Japanese light novel called Toaru Majutsu no Index. In one of the volumes a group of characters introduced in previous novels team up and form a team called GROUP to take on other multiple organizations and teams all after the same thing in a race against each other. I'm assuming this will be the same type of thing on an intergalactic scale.

Also, concerning your theory about there being multiple parties after whatever the Guardians have, it would explain whey the Guardians band together. If there are multiple groups all fighting for the same thing and the Guardians want in on the action for their individual reasons, then it makes sense for them to team up in the race to get whatever it is every one wants.

This is kind of an out of left field comparison for this, but there's a Japanese light novel called Toaru Majutsu no Index. In one of the volumes a group of characters introduced in previous novels team up and form a team called GROUP to take on other multiple organizations and teams all after the same thing in a race against each other. I'm assuming this will be the same type of thing on an intergalactic scale.

Makes sense to me. :)

Some of the Guardians are starting to sound like the Maquis in Star Trek Voyager. In fact, some of the concepts sound a bit similar to that show, with several groups (some of whom were pirates and scavengers) sometimes all hunting the same thing (eg the Kazon, the Hirogen, etc). Wasn't there a Voyager episode where Janeway had to form an alliance with several ships which are trapped in a spatial void?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"