The Official Mass Effect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co-op would be optional. You could completely ignore it if you wanted to. When I play co-op, I want it to be an experience, I don't just want it to be another death match or horde mode.

I think the key thing here is the co-op would need be totally optional and the single player not negatively affected in any way at all. If they can then add on co-op to that, compromising on the co-op side (not the single player) wherever there is a clash, then everybody wins. It's one of the best games for unique allies with unique abilities and real character so a co-op mode could fit really well. And if it's just not possible to do without affecting the singleplayer mode then they can just add a separate co-op mode, missions rather than (I mean as well as!) the existing single location Horde/Extraction mode. I would play all 3 modes (solo campaign, co-op campaign or missions & current Extraction game type) to death. And I know everyone would hate this but I wouldn't even mind team multiplayer, but that's a discussion for another day.

Last edited:
I think the key thing here is the co-op would need be totally optional and the single player not negatively affected in any way at all. If they can then add on co-op to that, compromising on the co-op side (not the single player) wherever there is a clash, then everybody wins. It's one of the best games for unique allies with unique abilities and real character so a co-op mode could fit really well. And if it's just not possible to do without affecting the singleplayer mode then they can just add a separate co-op mode, missions rather than (I mean as well as!) the existing single location Horde/Extraction mode. I would play all 3 modes (solo campaign, co-op campaign or missions & current Extraction game type) to death. And I know everyone would hate this but I wouldn't even mind team multiplayer, but that's a discussion for another day.

Isn't that what it is already? Or do you mean player vs player? I don't see that happening at all. The only way they could make that work is if they eliminated all offensive powers and just stuck with passive/defensive powers. In which case you'd just be left with gun action and everyone using something like Marksman or Active Camo.

Isn't that what it is already? Or do you mean player vs player? I don't see that happening at all. The only way they could make that work is if they eliminated all offensive powers and just stuck with passive/defensive powers. In which case you'd just be left with gun action and everyone using something like Marksman or Active Camo.
Yeah I meant Vs multiplayer. I call what we have now team co-op or an Extraction/Horde variant of co-op multiplayer rather than team co-op missions for eg. And I'm certainly not expecting anything like this to actually happen.

But...maybe they could allow one team to play as Banshees & Brutes like Left4Dead so that armour, barriers & shields & the relevant powers to take them down come into play. I quite like watching ultra-skilled players on ME (while I'm dead) and would like to see them against other skilled players. But I wouldn't seriously try to defend this kind of thing anyway as we know it's morally wrong to like any kind of multiplayer for great single player games on games forums. I wish people would read Mass Effect forums from a few years ago and see who the biggest dissenters were of including the multiplayer we have now. Quite a few are on my friends list (one even boycotted ME3 for 6 months despite it being his favourite series just because they'd added multiplayer)...you can identify them as they're playing the multiplayer 24-7! :woot:

Yeah I meant Vs multiplayer. I call what we have now team co-op or an Extraction/Horde variant of co-op multiplayer rather than team co-op missions for eg. And I'm certainly not expecting anything like this to actually happen.

But...maybe they could allow one team to play as Banshees & Brutes like Left4Dead so that armour, barriers & shields & the relevant powers to take them down come into play. I quite like watching ultra-skilled players on ME (while I'm dead) and would like to see them against other skilled players. But I wouldn't seriously try to defend this kind of thing anyway as we know it's morally wrong to like any kind of multiplayer for great single player games on games forums. I wish people would read Mass Effect forums from a few years ago and see who the biggest dissenters were of including the multiplayer we have now. Quite a few are on my friends list (one even boycotted ME3 for 6 months despite it being his favourite series just because they'd added multiplayer)...you can identify them as they're playing the multiplayer 24-7! :woot:

I could see a L4D style pvp work. Just not the kind I mentioned. Can't see how it would be balanced. But, hey, if they can make it work, i'm all for it.

I'll admit that I too was initially skeptical about multiplayer. But as you know I played it non stop for about 4 months.

I could see a L4D style pvp work. Just not the kind I mentioned. Can't see how it would be balanced. But, hey, if they can make it work, i'm all for it.

I'll admit that I too was initially skeptical about multiplayer. But as you know I played it non stop for about 4 months.
Yeah, they're all just options for one day in the future and I don't really expect anything to happen on that front for now. The most important thing is to get the single player right. After that make sure the existing co-op mode is expanded upon and improved and then think of adding in other co-operative modes (campaign or separate). Only when all those are as good as possible would I ask them to think about anything like L4D or regular Vs multiplayer. It should be the last priority but IF it can be done well, I say go for it.

Yeah, next time we can murder the multiplayer from launch. :cool:

you know back in day dev's use to know how to do this.

They'd have a single player main campaign and they'd have a similar but separate co- op where you'd help your buddies out. It seems some time after the game cube came and went after re4 came and went too, for most people from the dev side and people that played games who went on the ps2 forgot how to make these games / and certain players forgot these types of games existed . I'm talking about how you'd play games like ninja turtles and double dragon and many others copied this from the late 80's- through out the 90's and have drop in and out co-op or just a separate mode to it's self.

But you'd always have the main single campaign It seems the only people that especially knew how to do this for 3d were the people at rare with stuff like jet force Gemini. it's really bad that some how this fell down somewhere between then and now and most of us that know of this have a hard time having to explain how to do this.

Last edited:
These are VERY teaser-y images that are essentially people working at computer stations so keep that in mind:

BYf0ZXrIcAALzgd.jpg:large

BYgBwRuCMAAHYe5.jpg:large

BYgIsgkCIAIukTS.jpg:large

BYf7DmPCQAAfbK5.jpg

Very cool to see the masters at work.

No prequel please. I want to see the rebuilding of the galaxy... Show me the events post ME3.

I'd honestly be cool with Liara being like the only one left from the original team or something (if it's set hundreds of years later) that you run into... Yet, at the same time..I want answers to what happened to my crew..

I want to be a continuation of Shepards story...but at the same time I want it to be a telling of the events post Shepard. Such a weird feeling, lol.

I want Garrus back. Stuff him into a stasis pod, so he can be awakened a couple hundred years later.

Last edited:
I really have NO idea what I want from another ME game. Just hope it's as epic as the last trilogy.

How can they top the reapers though? Those guys would kick the crap out of the borg and the empire (any empire this side of W40k).

I think they can top the Reapers with an intelligent humanoid type race. After the first unveil of Sovereign which was bloody awesome, I don't think they got that much better. I'd probably prefer having a villain like Saren.

Yeah, Reapers don't need to be topped. All you need is an engaging story with personal stakes. And another enemy like Saren would be more than enough.

Yeah I think it might be best to go in the other direction this time, with smaller stakes and more personal and not just another doomsday threat.

What I want from a new Mass Effect game, is pretty much just make it more like Star Trek. I don't really care if that means setting in before or after the previous ME games. But, exploring the galaxy...exploring the unexplored...would be perfect for me.

Personally, I don't need the over arching theme to be about the entire galaxy being threatened. Bioware is so good at the smaller, emotional moments that add up and become THE experience. Them leaning into their strengths would make me happy. I could see them making the overall threat being about a war breaking out between planets or certain races, and that being dramatic enough to carry the story or even a series. I think they're that good at storytelling.

I'd say space battles, but from the point of view as the Captain making decisions would be cool. But, I have no idea how that can be done without getting old, fast.

I'd say space battles, but from the point of view as the Captain making decisions would be cool. But, I have no idea how that can be done without getting old, fast.

Space battles sound nice. And in order to prevent it from getting old, I wouldn't even make it the big focus of the game. Maybe throw in 2 or 3 minor space battles, so you get accustomed to the controls. And then have one big space battle towards the end, where it really gets crazy.

Space battles sound nice. And in order to prevent it from getting old, I wouldn't even make it the big focus of the game. Maybe throw in 2 or 3 minor space battles, so you get accustomed to the controls. And then have one big space battle towards the end, where it really gets crazy.
Sounds perfect. Secondary parts of games should never dominate (like driving in shooting games) but this way they can add to it without taking away.

Yeah I think it might be best to go in the other direction this time, with smaller stakes and more personal and not just another doomsday threat.

What I want from a new Mass Effect game, is pretty much just make it more like Star Trek. I don't really care if that means setting in before or after the previous ME games. But, exploring the galaxy...exploring the unexplored...would be perfect for me.

Personally, I don't need the over arching theme to be about the entire galaxy being threatened. Bioware is so good at the smaller, emotional moments that add up and become THE experience. Them leaning into their strengths would make me happy. I could see them making the overall threat being about a war breaking out between planets or certain races, and that being dramatic enough to carry the story or even a series. I think they're that good at storytelling.

Totally agree with both of you. The Reapers don't need to be "topped", and it doesn't need to be "epic". That's such a silly idea. Introducing a bigger, badder enemy doesn't make for a better story and it doesn't make for better gameplay, so there's no point.

And I definitely agree with you, CBB, about making it more Star Trek-like. Let it be less militaristic, and more about exploring the galaxy and putting you in the captain's chair; Really letting you feel like you're the captain of a starship.

They will really have to make the next ME game all kinds of special/awesome in order to get me to play. The journey is over for me.

That's what I want. The universe is in disarray and recovering? Time for the Firefly/Serenity game I've always wanted. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"