The Official Mass Effect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted in ME3 thread but thought it might deserve its own.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/new-mass-effect-forming-at-bioware-6396703

New Mass Effect forming at BioWare
September 18, 2012 1:05PM PDT
By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Company general manager says studio has plans for next game in the series, as well as brand new IP set in fictional universe

BioWare founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka left the role-playing game studio today, but that does not mean the company is slowing down. Studio general manager Aaryn Flynn announced today that BioWare, under the direction of producer Casey Hudson, has plans for an additional "full" Mass Effect game.
More Mass Effect is coming.

Flynn did not divulge any concrete details regarding this project, but called on fans to offer up their own ideas for where the Mass Effect series should go next. Mass Effect 3 executive producer Michael Gamble teased in February that BioWare has "so much to draw from" for a future Mass Effect game.
Additionally, Flynn announced that Hudson is also presently leading a team that is assembling the vision for an all-new game set in a fictional universe. This project is being built from the bottom up, he said, running on "new gaming technology." Further specifics were not mentioned, but he may be referencing new platforms from Microsoft and Sony, which are rumored to be on store shelves during the back half of 2013.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/from-aaryn-flynn/

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-12882-Mass-Effect-3--Omega--Story-DLC-Incoming--Another-Full-Mass-Effect-Game-and-a-New-Next-Gen-IP-on-the-Cards.html

With yesterday's announcement that BioWare's co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka will be retiring from the company they built together, BioWare General Manager, Aaryn Flynn issued a statement regarding the future of the developer and its franchises, including Mass Effect.
While we noted that Mass Effect 3 will be getting single-player story DLC in the form of the Omega add-on coming this fall, we didn't really draw as much attention to it within the news piece as we should have. So, here it is in full, from Aaryn Flynn's statement:
"Executive Producer Casey Hudson and his team are coming off an amazing eight-year run with the Mass Effect trilogy. But they’re not done yet. We are releasing more multiplayer content and we have more single-player stories coming throughout the next six months, including Omega which is coming in the Fall. But the Mass Effect universe is vast, and Casey and our teams have plans for another full game. “Where to go next?” with such a project has been a question a lot of us have been asking, and we’d all love to hear your ideas."
That's right. BioWare is planning another full Mass Effect game, while Casey Hudson and his team are also "putting together their vision for an all new game set in a fictional universe, built from the bottom-up with all new gaming technology." A new next-gen BioWare IP? Yup.

I just ran into the 'biotic god' in ME2. I love that guy.

haha. In my first playthrough of Me2 I never shot for paragon or renegade (which costed me Miranda's loyalty) so I'd pick whoever dialogue option I saw most fit and I'd do any interrupt whenever prompted on the screen, r2 or l2. So I saved him by knockin him down.

EDIT: congrats to iceman for having this thread making it to a next part

haha. In my first playthrough of Me2 I never shot for paragon or renegade (which costed me Miranda's loyalty) so I'd pick whoever dialogue option I saw most fit and I'd do any interrupt whenever prompted on the screen, r2 or l2. So I saved him by knockin him down.

The first time through any RPG, that's how I tend to play as well. Just select whichever options make the most sense at the time. My first character never really has much definition until later on, when the weight of those choices gives me a better idea of what kind of person they are. Later on when I create new characters (or new versions of the same, like Shepard) I can better decide what kind of personality they will have before getting into the game itself.

Letting a game sort of shape your character the first time through can prove pretty interesting. I'd never have guessed my original Fallout 3 character would have ended up as a cannibal slaver with a loose code of ethics.

How could you possibly play otherwise? :o

All my characters just run through the games like Fallout and ME based on how I feel at the moment. Unless it's something that just makes me smile or is utterly weird like the biotic god. I don't think I've ever not saved him even in my 'Shepard is insane' runs.

How could you possibly play otherwise? :o

Well you could, in theory, decide on exactly how your character is going to be before playing. But if I did that on the first time through the original intent would probably get corrupted at some point. It's much easier to define later characters because you know what to expect.

Last edited:
I named my latest character Frank Castle.

Guess how that works. :o

Are you sure it was Frank Castle? Are you sure it wasn't Shepard?

The first time through any RPG, that's how I tend to play as well. Just select whichever options make the most sense at the time. My first character never really has much definition until later on, when the weight of those choices gives me a better idea of what kind of person they are. Later on when I create new characters (or new versions of the same, like Shepard) I can better decide what kind of personality they will have before getting into the game itself.

Letting a game sort of shape your character the first time through can prove pretty interesting. I'd never have guessed my original Fallout 3 character would have ended up as a cannibal slaver with a loose code of ethics.
I guess Me2 was also my first time playing a modern day arpg. I didn't know anything about it prior to playing Me2 aside from some youtube videos about dialogue options (it didn't give me NEARLY the full extent of what I was in foe beforehand) and the sex scene with miranda (if chosen to go that route :cwink:)

Are you sure it was Frank Castle? Are you sure it wasn't Shepard?

It's just a reminder of how to play a certain character.

Also it's funny to think people yelling "Here comes Frank! RUN!"

one of shepard's 21st century ancestors must've played himself/herself a good amount of some witcher 3 ;)

8fzpTt0.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Hilarious.

Bioware is already getting on my nerves with this setting BS.

For those interested about the small details in the franchise, the second part of Mass Effect's hidden story has been uploaded.

[YT]LaXV3q3HHlw[/YT]

Not a sequel, not a prequel, not a video game, not a thing. Doesn't even exist.

That dude is awesome! :woot:

EDIT: congrats to iceman for having this thread making it to a next part

Thanks, although I don't think I really deserve congrats just for making a thread! ;)

Yeah this 'not a this, not a that' crap from Bioware is really boring me. I'll focus my anticipation on something else till they shut up about it. If it's not a prequel, not a sequel and so forth, maybe it's just Mass Effect 3 again, for 360 only, and only the original ending, at full retail. :yay:

lol. hoax confirmed

you made a thread that made it to longetivity, you definitely deserve a congrats =]
Ok I'll take it lol.

The whole not a prequel not a sequel thing is just weird. I don't see how you can make an in-depth world and just ignore the Shepard trilogy. It just further proves Bioware doesn't know how to go about the ME3 ending in regards to moving forward. I don't like to think all this time has passed and I'm still talking about the ending, but it does affect the future of the franchise and how well it will make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"