Mass Effect 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hudson or someone else said during or before, yeah. Then again they obviously don't mind going against their word lmao.

Haha true, Maybe they can set it in another galaxy. Im sure all these civilizations haven't seen the ENTIRE universe. Just separate the next game form everything about this one. Altho, then i guess its no longer Mass Effect, its just another space game.

I think the disconnect here is gamers misunderstanding that player involvement in the outcomes of the story equates complete control over the outcomes of the story. Sure, players can decide how to tell their own stories, but it was always going to be within the storyline parameters established by Bioware and only with a certain degree of freedom.

LOL there's no "misunderstanding." Bioware fully came out and said there would be no "A, B, or C" type ending. Then, the ending was LITERALLY an A, B, or C type ending.

What could we have possibly misunderstood???

:facepalm: I give up. I leave you with this. The ending should have been what we made it. Just like we were promised. Not "one of sacrifice and loss." If that works for you, great. I shouldn't have YOUR ending forced on me and neither should anyone else.

Well the problem is you can't move on from that. Like i mentioned, someones ending will end up being for nothing. Guess they'll just have to get creative when it comes to designing what happens next.

When was this? I've seen them say that they intend to expand the universe past ME3 many times.

I believe it was Hudson who said numerous times that any future ME stories will likely take place before the events of the current story.

LOL there's no "misunderstanding." Bioware fully came out and said there would be no "A, B, or C" type ending. Then, the ending was LITERALLY an A, B, or C type ending.

Well not really there was a D ending. [BLACKOUT]Shep breathing could only happen in one of them[/BLACKOUT]. So there was an A, B, C and then D ending. Or well, i guess it was more like an A, B, C, C1 type ending.

Well the problem is you can't move on from that. Like i mentioned, someones ending will end up being for nothing. Guess they'll just have to get creative when it comes to designing what happens next.

But they've already put themselves in that corner. Obviously moving forward the Reapers will have been defeated. But who lives, who dies....the little things can change. Especially if the next game is set a generation or so afterward. Then the little decisions like Shepard's fate won't matter as much.

I believe it was Hudson who said numerous times that any future ME stories will likely take place before the events of the current story.

Hmm, I've never read anything of the sort. I've read on his desire to expand the franchise but never that he would set it chronologically before the events of ME.

And Alpha Protocol showed us how it can work within the story parameters while also giving players all kinds of choices. Not to mention, there is no way to take things like "This is the player's story to write as much as ours," or "There will be no choose A,B, or C ending," out of context.

Mass Effect is not Alpha Protocol. Maybe the decisions you made in that game worked in the context of its narrative but that does not necessarily mean Bioware should do so, especially considering they have their own vision for the Mass Effect series. And I don't see understand why you're missing "This is the player's story to write as much as ours". The storytellers create the general story and the players choose to tell it with the choices they are given. Player choice do not and have never determined the greater themes and overall narrative of the Mass Effect series. That has always been decided by Bioware and not the players.

When was this? I've seen them say that they intend to expand the universe past ME3 many times.

Looks like it was from the "Final Hours" app,

"...Casey Hudson says that the events witnessed in Mass Effect 3 is as far as he wishes to go.

While not yet sure what the franchise will tackle next, “whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after,” he says."

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/20...ll-take-place-before-or-during-mass-effect-3/

Mass Effect is not Alpha Protocol. Maybe the decisions you made in that game worked in the context of its narrative but that does not necessarily mean Bioware should do so, especially considering they have their own vision for the Mass Effect series. And I don't see understand why you're missing "This is the player's story to write as much as ours". The storytellers create the general story and the players choose to tell it with the choices they are given. Player choice do not and have never determined the greater themes and overall narrative of the Mass Effect series. That has always been decided by Bioware and not the players.

But you're now justifying their lies after the fact when their quotes say something entirely different. Basically, "They promised you this but they really meant this!"

Looks like it was from the "Final Hours" app,

"...Casey Hudson says that the events witnessed in Mass Effect 3 is as far as he wishes to go.

While not yet sure what the franchise will tackle next, “whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after,” he says."

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/20...ll-take-place-before-or-during-mass-effect-3/

Interesting. I call B.S. on it. They may spend a few years doing an RTS game or an MMORPG that takes place concurrently or before, but I tend to think eventually an ME4 that is set chronologically after ME3 will happen (kind of the same approach that MS took with Halo, let some dust settle, do some side games then a proper continuation).

I really don't remember Hudson stating that ether on any thing prquel wise. Just they'd expand on it and I know that ment DLCsince they hinted as much and that MMO, that latter of which is happening. and them saying ME4 when ask by reporters due to what halo was doing. Only theirs would be with out Shepard .

y'know......it almost feels like they had this grand idea to have multiple different outcomes based on all the players' choices.

but, towards the finish line, they probably realized that it was more difficult logistically than they thought. so they scaled it way back and gave us the endings we got.

the problem is.........they kept making claims to the contrary, promising multiple, varied endings and outcomes determined by player's choices.......

Haha true, Maybe they can set it in another galaxy. Im sure all these civilizations haven't seen the ENTIRE universe. Just separate the next game form everything about this one. Altho, then i guess its no longer Mass Effect, its just another space game.

Mass effect is just a concept in the universe lore hahah so yeah, jumping to another star system could work.

Like I said before, I am not defending the endings as they are. I am simply saying that if Bioware intended the Mass Effect trilogy to have a bittersweet conclusion, it does not mean they are impeding on their promise of player choice. OK, Bioware said that there would be no 'A, B, C type ending', but they also never said that players alone will get to determine whether you get a happy or a sad ending.

"building an ending" does not necessarily mean total control of every facet of the end on the part of the player.

If the Battle on Earth fully reflected all of our choices and we got to see the impact on the galaxy on all the levels that we had influence post-end but the ending was still one of sacrifice and loss but we determined the shape of that sacrifice and loss then that would have more than adhered to the notion of building your end.

Like I said before, I am not defending the endings as they are. I am simply saying that if Bioware intended the Mass Effect trilogy to have a bittersweet conclusion, it does not mean they are impeding on their promise of player choice. OK, Bioware said that there would be no 'A, B, C type ending', but they also never said that players alone will get to determine whether you get a happy or a sad ending.

Umm, Hudson said something very much to that extent. You know, the quote about how the Reapers can win, about how basically anything can happen in the ending. I must've missed where he said, "Any ending can happen....except a happy one! It has to be "bittersweet! :troll:"

:oldrazz:

Seriously, I am so sick of the word "bittersweet." Seems to me that it is just being thrown around by apologists in the same way that every fanboy says how every movie has to be "dark," ever since Nolan did Batman.

"building an ending" does not necessarily mean total control of every facet of the end on the part of the player.

If the Battle on Earth fully reflected all of our choices and we got to see the impact on the galaxy on all the levels that we had influence post-end but the ending was still one of sacrifice and loss but we determined the shape of that sacrifice and loss then that would have more than adhered to the notion of building your end.

But as I believe Balthus asked, if he makes every decision right, why the hell shouldn't he get a happy ending? That is what Bioware has done for the entire franchise? Why take it away. More importantly, why the **** are you even defending this? If you don't want that ending, don't get it. That's the beauty of what they did with every other game to this point. Why change now?

yup you have the ending you want . you shouldn't stop any one from getting the ones they want. Hudson did saying that we'd all get different endings from each others in this final. The point is he did say that.

But you're now justifying their lies after the fact when their quotes say something entirely different. Basically, "They promised you this but they really meant this!"

I am not justifying anything here. Unless Bioware blatantly said something like "players will have complete control over what kind of ending they get, whether it is happy, sad or bittersweet based on the decisions they made", then I see players' complaints with that quote as unfair since they are only looking at their own say in the story and not Bioware's. What if Bioware had 16 vastly different endings, all with varying outcomes but all of which ultimately ended on a bittersweet note (or a tragic one if you rushed through the game and screwed up everything)? Would that have been wrong?

but they flat out stated that different players would get different endings, no 2 endings would be the same, because of all of our choices.

that certainly gives players the impression that there will be more than 1 ending choice, or more than 1 "type" of ending choice.

But as I believe Balthus asked, if he makes every decision right, why the hell shouldn't he get a happy ending? That is what Bioware has done for the entire franchise? Why take it away. More importantly, why the **** are you even defending this? If you don't want that ending, don't get it. That's the beauty of what they did with every other game to this point. Why change now?

If he makes every right decision that would theoretically be reflected by the state of the galaxy and your squadmates at the end of the game.

The major decisions are in reference to that, not to Shepard's endgame state.

Do you want to help the Krogan, do you want a Geth/Quarian peace? Do you want a united front? Do you think victory must come at all costs? Do you want to save everyone from ME2? Do you want to help Tali out? etc.

As for why I am defending it, the same reason you're defending the notion of a super happy ending - we have differing opinions. I don't see why that has to be called into question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"