The Official Previews Thread

Goddamnit, why is it that the crappy artists are the consistent ones?? Smith can pump out an unbroken 9-issue run of New Invaders but almost every good artist's work is punctuated by fill-ins and delays?? What the hell is that?! :mad:

TheCorpulent1 said:
Goddamnit, why is it that the crappy artists are the consistent ones?? Smith can pump out an unbroken 9-issue run of New Invaders but almost every good artist's work is punctuated by fill-ins and delays?? What the hell is that?! :mad:

man do i want to meet you and beat you up!

in all seriousness though, crap is quicker than a good product. that is a rule that applies to almost everything (with the exception of a really good crap, that takes time to savor).

marvel should figure out a way to load up issues, their lateness is getting out of hand.

i work in a deadline driven industry, if i were like that, i would have another career pretty quickly.

Yeah, but I'm sure Smith believes... somehow... that he's actually a good artist doing good work. He must be trying, at least.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Yeah, but I'm sure Smith believes... somehow... that he's actually a good artist doing good work. He must be trying, at least.

I don't think his art is bad. I just think it's inappropriate for this title.

I actually like his art for the most part and would probably really like it on something else but I just can't enjoy in on Invaders.

It's bland and lifeless to me. You can tell he's using computer assistance all over the place, which I think devalues his work. Call me old-fashioned, but I think comic book art should come from a human being's hand unless you're gonna go all-out and just computer-generate the whole thing. Computer coloring is different, of course, since it's still a person painting the page, just with a computer instead of a brush.

Hey DBM, being the S.H.I.E.L.D.ophile that you are, what did you think about the Wolvie cover. Nice nod to Steranko's run.(I thought)

iloveclones said:
Not to be a nitpicker, but why are the nice firemen allowing an old woman to wander around what seems to be a crumbling structure?

Heh, yeah. The house looks like it's ready to collapse on Aunt May.

And btw, does Deodato's Tony Stark look like Timothy Dalton to anyone else?

What? I thought it was James Bond who just invited Pete and MJ to Avengers tower.

amspid519p3.gif

amspid519p4.gif

Deodato's art is gorgeous but I wish he'd use less photo references when drawing faces.

rubio said:
Deodato's art is gorgeous but I wish he'd use less photo references when drawing faces.

out of curiousity, why?

rubio said:

I didn't know that he does, but in general, I agree. People look so static when they do that. Comics are a medium that you have to fool people into "seeing" movement when there isn't any. I was reading Ex Machina, which I really liked, but something was bothering me about the art, that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Sure enough, I turned to the back (it was a TPB) and there were comparisons between the photos and the art. And one of them was the specific panel that was really bothering me. I blame Alex Ross.

Photo references go back way beyond Alex Ross. They're good because they help you retain some variety in your faces (as opposed to Jim Lee, David Finch, John Romita Jr., and loads of other comic artists whose people all look the same), but you're right, unless the artist is really, really good and can just think 3-dimensionally in perfect proportion, they're screwed if they want to actually make the faces do much.

No, I know. It's just that Mssr. Ross seems to have ushered in this fan-wide obsession with photo-realism that drives me crazy. And it's not the faces that bother me so much, it's the body "movement" that really seems to suffer.

Depends for me. I like realism and I appreciate the amount of work that goes into realistic art, but I prefer realistic art in the vein of Hitch and Hairsine. Their figures are exaggerated less than your average comic figure, but they're like living dynamos of energy. The big Hulk fight in the first volume of Ultimates is enough to leave you breathless, it's so action-packed.

Ross I've always thought could use a little loosening up, especially with Spider-Man. Photo-realism just doesn't work with Spider-Man on a printed page. You always feel like he should be doing more, like his limbs should be stretching out in weirder ways, or his body twisting in more directions. Granov's got that problem too.

Yeah, Deo's characters are often a bit stiff.

JRJr is the best storyteller in comics, his art is not as detailed as some other guys' but he can do marvels with simple body language, facial expressions and eyes (which he draws pretty big but not manga big). Damn I miss him. :(

euroq said:
Yeah, Deo's characters are often a bit stiff.

JRJr is the best storyteller in comics, his art is not as detailed as some other guys' but he can do marvels with simple body language, facial expressions and eyes (which he draws pretty big but not manga big). Damn I miss him. :(
I don't get any emotion from JRjr's art.. it just seems flat and stiff. I don't get any movement. I've seen a panel where he tried to show Venom cutting Kraven's stomach, if it weren't for Spidey's explanation I wouldn't of known Venom hit Kraven in the first place.

Plus his Spidey looks like he spent an hour on the rack.

iloveclones said:
No, I know. It's just that Mssr. Ross seems to have ushered in this fan-wide obsession with photo-realism that drives me crazy. And it's not the faces that bother me so much, it's the body "movement" that really seems to suffer.
Excuse me? Bryan Hitch's art in the fight scene in Ultimates #5 showed a lot more movement than anything Steve Dikto and Jack Kirby could've done. And that ain't no disespect for the 'oldies.' That's pure, hard fact.

Saph said:
Excuse me? Bryan Hitch's art in the fight scene in Ultimates #5 showed a lot more movement than anything Steve Dikto and Jack Kirby could've done. And that ain't no disespect for the 'oldies.' That's pure, hard fact.

Settle down, Junior. When exactly did I mention Bryan Hitch?

Don't worry about him, Clones. He's one of those New Age people who likes the flashy stuff, even though story telling flys out the window.

iloveclones said:
Settle down, Junior. When exactly did I mention Bryan Hitch?
You were talking about photo-referencing, and how stiff it looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"