The Official Superman Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they ever tried to make an alternate Superman who is as perfect an embodiment of evil and villainy as the main Superman is of goodness and heroism?

"A bit??" LOL..... Thousands of occupations that he could have had....Engineer, sanitation, doctor, reporter, geologist, OBGYN, mayor, .............naaah,,,,,,,,,,,,,"President!! " Yeah that's it.

ok......LOL

It's re-election time and we all know the media is decided liberal......it just is. That includes comics writers.....if a comic book reader was cryogenically frozen in 1972 and woke up today, he eyes would pop outta his head on the themes running rampant in comics today. And most told from a liberal slant....

• The New Question is a lesbian
  • Batman drawn having sex with Catwoman (on page) :wow:
  • Batwoman is a lesbian
  • Blood splatter on every punch
  • The nudity and language
Just look at the new portrayal of Joan Garrick in that Earth-2 book! My head was spinning. Geeeez.......

I could go on. But my point is this, folks that support those things are more times than not , Democrats. And they want their guy back in office. They know the young vote is key. Young people by comics. It's a get out the vote for Obama. But so what.....at least be honest about it, DC!

I could care less about any of that except for the extreme violence and gore, the language, and the sex can be more modestly portrayed. Characters should be LGBT, etc, when it works. I'd want as many minority characters, LGBT characters, etc as there is in the regular population, but I'd do it without getting rid of older characters and replacing them. They need more new characters anyway.

Another thing I'd like to see is a version of the future where the vast majority of people are of mixed ethnicity, at least in America. That's the kind of "realism" I like to see, well, that and I tend to like optimistic futures like the Legion and Star Trek best.

As for the Obama thing, I don't think that's a big shock to anyone. Obama himself is something of a nerd, as you would expect a guy with his high IQ to be. He likes Superman and Star Trek. He might be the first nerd President. In fact, I'm sure he is.

z_supesandobama.jpg

president-obama-lt-uhura-Nichelle-Nichols-4x3-thumb-400xauto-33436.jpg

Personally, I'd keep politics out of comics because I wouldn't want to alienate potential readers, but let's face it, the early Superman of the 30's was basically a Jewish trade unionist in a cape. Superman and superheroes in general are an invention of American Jews, and that culture is mostly liberal.

But like I said, Politics and religion are two things that most people like to avoid discussing and I'd just as soon see them kept to a minimum in comics, minus obvious things like the Spectre, and I do think the way Marvel has given more acknowledgement to the Thing's Jewish heritage is a good thing, especially given how proud Kirby was of it himself, and the Thing is basically him.

kirbygrimmmmmmm.jpg

There was one issue of an issue of Confidential, I think, that had Superman with a Swastika.

They edited it before it got to print. :o

Ultraman fills the role of evil Superman doesn't he?

This has always been one of my favorite covers:

superman023.jpg

The Nazis hated Superman and in fact tore one of Siegel's stories apart when he had Supes hawl Hitler and Stalin off for crimes against humanity.

I remember Morrison said that he planned on having one issue of Multiversity open with Hitler reading Action Comics while on the toilet, a nasty scowl plastered on his face :funny:
Yeah, but he's a s***ty evil Superman.

:hehe: true

I'm hoping for at least one scene of Superman punching him in the jaw if that happens

It's not fair for Cap to hog all the fun that comes from shattering Hitler's jaw with your bare fist

False.
Ultimate Cap is a bastardisation of a much better character :o

False.

Ultimate Captain is an improvement of the Jack Kirby creation and even Joss Whedon acknowledged this with the Avengers movie.

Drz how many times have I told you not to post drunk?

I swear to God Drz, you never cease to amaze me with the depths of your s**ty opinions. :o

Not ****** options, just pure facts you Americans can't handle. Haters gonna hate!

Ultimate Cap is pure badass on tap. He is how Captain America really would act coming out of the 1940's. Captain America is not like Superman. Captain America or Ultimate Captain America is written to be like a Navy Seal or Delta Force. He's a solider he is not here to smile and shake peoples hand and kiss babies he has a job to do and intends to make sure it gets done.

False.

Ultimate Captain is an improvement of the Jack Kirby creation and even Joss Whedon acknowledged this with the Avengers movie.

I like Ultimate Cap but let's not get crazy here.

Let's not have Drz distract us from the point that Ultimate Cap is ****ing awesome. :o

im surprised about all this talk of the possible and subjective political implications of the recent issue of Action. I think whats far more provocative of it is morrisons implications against the characterizations of the New 52.

So um SUPERMAN, not really enjoying this little "Lois: Clark do something for me without making sure we are both clear on the details". I know Clark isn't the most aggressive act but I'm surprised he hasn't heat blasted Lois head off by now.

They Hype failed to inform me that people had responded in this thread until now. so at the risk of being like a month late...

1) Ultimate Captain America is a major dukee nozzle, and he's ****. He's pretty much the exact opposite of what I think super heroes are supposed to be--an ideal that people should try to live up to. In fact, whenever I'm faced with a situation, I think to myself "What would Ultimate Cap do?", and I do the exact opposite. Because he sucks.

2) I know that writers' politics are inevitably going to invade their writing. It's impossible to avoid. But one example sticks out in my mind that just is ****ing terrible. The post-BND Spider-man, while having a lot of good stories, is skewing Peter Parker to the left. Defining a character's political position is fine, as long as it fits with the previously established character (which this does). But there's actually a panel where Wolverine and Peter fist bump over a crack at GW Bush. It's preachy, it's alienating, and it's a terrible thing to do. The writer (I think it was Joe Kelly) is getting on his soap box. It's a not very subtle wink at the audience saying "Hey, this opinion is popular right now, look at me who agrees with it! I must be smart!" I just thought it was pretentious and incredibly ****ing self-righteous.

They Hype failed to inform me that people had responded in this thread until now. so at the risk of being like a month late...

1) Ultimate Captain America is a major dukee nozzle, and he's ****. He's pretty much the exact opposite of what I think super heroes are supposed to be--an ideal that people should try to live up to. In fact, whenever I'm faced with a situation, I think to myself "What would Ultimate Cap do?", and I do the exact opposite. Because he sucks.
Pfft, and that's why you'd never get a piece of Janet Pym's sweet, bruised ash. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"