• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

The Passion of the Christ. Most overrated POS movie ever?

HUMAN said:
So you say religion is incompatible with history yet you say you're not an atheist. Are you some kind of agnostic who thinks God just rolled the cosmic dice and left it at that? Or are you using the word "religion" in a very vague sense, as in Baptist, Catholic, Mormon? Help me understand.

The Singularity doesn't contradict creation, it enhances it. The Cambrian Explosion doesn't contradict creation, it enhances it. Irreducible Complexity doesn't contradict creation, it enhances it. Don't argue scientific evidence in a film forum, that's called spam.

How is using "religion" to refer to RELIGIONS using it in a vague manor ? Atheists know God doesn't exist. I don't. It just shows the sad, ignorant state we're in when people aren't able to conceptualize the notion of someone without their mind made up ( and really doesn't ever expect to ) about whatever the higher power might or might not be, who sees Religion for the bull$hit that it is.

BT18 said:
Jesus didn't exist. He's made the phuck up, 4 decades after he was (most commonly) said to have existed, which is when the first stories about him were first written, peiced together from various parts of other earlier diety stories and hero archetypes (dionysus etc). And the ruff draft of the myth didn't even have the events taking place on the plane of Earth. The killing, the resurection, etc took place in the Heavens. Why do you think Christians can go on forever about the life of Jesus, but can never seem to scratch the surface about discussion about the events of how the word of Jesus was first spread? Wouldn't that be a compelling, important, peice of religiosity to have in your repetoire?

BTW, just so you think I'm not some person with a bug up my butt against Christians, it isn't that. All religion is primitive and unncessary. And Islam is the greatest threat to civilization currently known to man.

And religious moderates aren't any less insane than fundamentalists. Just less distructive. Fundamentalists are actually way more intellectually honest.

What does Jesus existing or not existing have to do with a film's merits?

From a technical standpoint it was good (acting, cinematography, etc.). It just bored me and wasn't really my cup of tea. It should've left me uplifted, but just kinda made me depressed.

BT18 said:
How is using "religion" to refer to RELIGIONS using it in a vague manor ? Atheists know God doesn't exist. I don't. It just shows the sad, ignorant state we're in when people aren't able to conceptualize the notion of someone without their mind made up ( and really doesn't ever expect to ) about whatever the higher power might or might not be, who sees Religion for the bull$hit that it is.

Actually the concept of an Atheist is one that "believes" there is no deity/higher power.

Your problem is that you seem to believe your head is much bigger then everyone else's and must be a jerk about everything. Yet this is a movie dicussion and you have been able to come up with one reason why this movie was "terrible". Other then you belief that Jesus doesn' exist.

Liquid Snake said:
Wow. I have to say, probably one of the worst movies I have seen in awhile. The movie by itself is so bad that I doubt most people would even understand any of it. I grew up in a muslim family so know alot about the stories but the movie does no job of even telling you who are all the people. the character development is nowhere to be seen other than some jesus nice guy flashbacks. The movie tries a cheap, lets see jesus get beaten for two hours just so the christian who actually believe in all the silly stories can cry for 2 hours.

I saw the Life of Brian yesterday and it was 10 times better than this crap, and probably truer to what probably happened.

Thank you for that in-depth analasys. In thanks for your troubles, I could demonstrate my massive western knowledge of the muslim world by posting a certain Danish cartoon, but I will not. I'd like to think I'm mature enough not to resort to tactics as petty as your own.

I finally caught it on T.V the other night... I was actually impressed. The movie itself was nothing special but alot of really good work had gone into it.

Direction was quite good IMO and the overall cinematography was good.

Religion and politics aside I have nothing but respect for Mel as a filmmaker. I enjoyed The Passion as a good movie, but it didn't affect me on a spirtual level. Mainly cause I don't follow any particular religion.

Last Temptation of Christ is better in my opinion.

Eh, it wasnt that good.
The one thing I did like was how Satan was portrayed.
Kind of androgenous if I remember.

BT18 said:
Maybe we should adopt such airtight barriers of truth as claiming you saw proof on a "National Geographic Story" for all conflicts, legal and otherwise.

I saw on a National Geographic Story that there's proof you ate lead paint chips for a solid 3 years in elementary school.

Of course utterly similar such bull$hit what religion always comes down to. It's a conversation stopper to counter science, history, and honesty in order to justify deviations and grievences to all 3.
According to my source, Jesus did exist.

My source is the J. Rufus Fears, who has a Ph.D., and is the Professor of Classics at the University of Oklahoma.

J. Rufus Fears > You.

HUMAN said:
So you say religion is incompatible with history yet you say you're not an atheist. Are you some kind of agnostic who thinks God just rolled the cosmic dice and left it at that? Or are you using the word "religion" in a very vague sense, as in Baptist, Catholic, Mormon? Help me understand.

The Singularity doesn't contradict creation, it enhances it. The Cambrian Explosion doesn't contradict creation, it enhances it. Irreducible Complexity doesn't contradict creation, it enhances it. Don't argue scientific evidence in a film forum, that's called spam.
agnostic dont believe god roled the dice, i dont think they believe if they can know anything, get your facts right? maybe theist

Timstuff said:
Thank you for that in-depth analasys. In thanks for your troubles, I could demonstrate my massive western knowledge of the muslim world by posting a certain Danish cartoon, but I will not. I'd like to think I'm mature enough not to resort to tactics as petty as your own.
I said I grew up in a muslim family, and I really dont care to elaborate more on the meh movie, I've already wasted my 2 hours watching it, I'll go ahead and rent LTOC since im a fan of Scorsese aswell.

Anyway, my intention was never to mock Jesus, get your head out of your ass. My opinion of all religoius people who literally believe in this stuff is the same, and there are more muslims who believe than christians.

BT18, there is no doubt Jesus probably did exist, he was most like not as holy as thou imagine but that was probably made up by the people who wanted control.

Liquid Snake said:
BT18, there is no doubt Jesus probably did exist, he was most like not as holy as thou imagine but that was probably made up by the people who wanted control.

"no doubt" with no contemporary evidence. Although the fence-strattling about just how "Holy" he was is even more ******ed. Maybe he just had 30 percent of the superpowers attributed to him huh? That's a better ballpark?

Attis, Dionysos, Horus, Osiris, Mithra, Zarathustra, must have just been on Jesus wall growing up as a kid because he managed to just end up being a rehash of them somehow. Although perhaps the level of doubt they all existed is close to if not just as low.

That isn't the official line of bull$hit the church has come up with to explain the sometimes word-for-word copying of earlier stories to create these gospels, it was actually SATAN WHO PLANTED these identicle tales to throw us off. You know like he did with those dinosaur bones.

Timstuff said:

massive outbursts of region-wide rioting were the "tactics" of an individual SHH poster because he belongs to the same religion as said rioters?

Way to do Jesus proud with that clear view of things, you are truely part of Gods America. Now stop blowing up federal buildings!

Carter said:
Eh, it wasnt that good.
The one thing I did like was how Satan was portrayed.
Kind of androgenous if I remember.

Thats the main thing I didnt like... It felt kind of weird... Like it didnt fit in the film very well.

What I could not freaking stand about it was that it was directed like a f***ing Mtv music video in so many parts. Same thing I loathed about the LOTR movies. Way too much slow motion and wispy ethereal bulls***. Embarrassing.

Back when it came out, people were dismissing my opinion on it because I'm so anti-Christian, but wow were they stupid because the Jesus of Nazareth movie with Max Von Sydow and the Ten Commandments and the music from Godspell are some of my big favorites.

POTC was just a crap movie and Mel has been on the Tom Cruise path to celebrity dementia for some time now.

You know, Wilhem-Scream is RIGHT.

They should do a movie about the entire life of Jesus, and not just his death.

Yes, the story of Jesus deserves more than a bunch of dreamy flashbacks and then a gratuitous bloodfest.

Yeah, I agree with wilhelm as far as anything with religion. Nicely put and I agree about the slow motion tear running down the cheek. At one point i could see myself laughing in the theater and getting beaten up.

In the preview it shows his sandal hit the dusty ground in slo-mo and it makes a sound like a 5,000 foot tall door being slammed shut.

:rolleyes:

BT18 said:
"no doubt" with no contemporary evidence. Although the fence-strattling about just how "Holy" he was is even more ******ed. Maybe he just had 30 percent of the superpowers attributed to him huh? That's a better ballpark?

Attis, Dionysos, Horus, Osiris, Mithra, Zarathustra, must have just been on Jesus wall growing up as a kid because he managed to just end up being a rehash of them somehow. Although perhaps the level of doubt they all existed is close to if not just as low.
Basically, he was alive, he thought/pretended he was the Jewish religion's chosen one, and challenged the local religious leaders. That's hardly out of the realm of possibility. And, as I already said, has been varified with people with actual Ph.D.'s in the field of ancient history.

By the way, all of you who say Jesus doesn't exist are probably going to be ****-scared when you are about to die.

Unless you're a Jew. Then you still don't care. :awesome:

If your not a christian,then this movie will not make any sense to you.You will see it as something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"