• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The 'race' issue...

Right, I believe Wesley Snipes was a popular choice a while back.

Atleast the entire cast isn't WHITE like AVATAR THE LAST AIRBENDER.
Oh yeah, heard about that. But really the only "white characters" in DBE are Goku & Piccollo who are both aliens and thus technically able to be played by actors of any race without any real case of racial misrepresentation and Bulma who had baby blue eyes in the anime so is arguably caucasian.

Of course, the same logic works with Airbender. Their Earth isn't our Earth so desPite the heavily Asian overtones, there's no reason to think the characters whouldn't be of Caucasian descent.

My choice would've been Samual L. Jackson for Piccolo with Morgan Freeman as Kami.

Ugh, you just couldn't help yourself could you. I saw that coming from 10,000 miles away. :cwink:

yeah...i'm not believing Chatwin is part Asian until i see a source. even if he is, he doesn't look Asian at all.

Someone who is 1/4 asian only, often doesnt look like asian at all.
Chatwin not asian, or Chatwin 1/4 asian is the same.

But I wanted to see an asian actor playing Son Goku its better, only asian can make a good style and charism to look like Goku, as Chichi, Yamsha ..........

which is pretty much what i was getting at.....if the whole point of saying that Chatwin is 1/4 Asian is just to say that Goku is somewhat Asian then it's a moot point since he doesn't LOOK Asian.

Yeah, but according to the "one drop" rule of early America--and the South--he ain''t white either!

"I have had it with these motherf***ing saiyans on this motherf***ing planet!"
"Hold onto ya tails!"

But I wanted to see an asian actor playing Son Goku its better, only asian can make a good style and charism to look like Goku, as Chichi, Yamsha ..........

have to disagree there

Goku is racial ambiguous, any actor white, light-skinned black, asian, euroasian, indian, etc... could have played Goku

The Caucasian is a pretty blatant casting, especially in Hollywood, so I'm not surprised they picked a Caucasian, nor do I care actually

have to disagree there

Goku is racial ambiguous, any actor white, light-skinned black, asian, euroasian, indian, etc... could have played Goku

The Caucasian is a pretty blatant casting, especially in Hollywood, so I'm not surprised they picked a Caucasian, nor do I care actually

Agreed.

have to disagree there

Not agreed

We cant choose any actor. I disagree with caucasian actor or afro or arab or latino or others...

Akira made SonGoku looks like chinese when he created him in DB.
At the beginning he hasnt have the idea to make Goku as an alien. That will be in DBZ.
But in DB Goku was based on Sun Wukong in a chinese legend. that's all.
He looks asian like Chichi, KameSenin, Krilin, TenShinHan, Yamcha ...

Only asian can play this role.

Not agreed

We cant choose any actor. I disagree with caucasian actor or afro or arab or latino or others...

Akira made SonGoku looks like chinese when he created him in DB.
At the beginning he hasnt have the idea to make Goku as an alien. That will be in DBZ.
But in DB Goku was based on Sun Wukong in a chinese legend. that's all.
He looks asian like Chichi, KameSenin, Krilin, TenShinHan, Yamcha ...

Only asian can play this role.
Again, when I first watched DB I didn't think Goku was asian (4th grade) honestly he didn't have the "typical" slanted eyes, so I assumed he was white, IMO whichever actor portrayed Goku in live-action should've been racially ambiguous-to appear more alien-plus for me, it's be kinda corny for an asian looking alien to coincidentally land in an asian society... much like with Siupes, how lucky was he to land in Smallville where the natives looked just like him... (but there are more arguments surrounding but I'll stop now)

In mangaka style, you should know asian characters rarely have slanting eyes. There are, but little few.
But I repeat in DB world, no asian, caucasian, latinos etc. But they look like, Akira drew white people, black people, asian people, indian people
Chichi, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Kurilin ... have not slanted eyes but they looks asian right ?

It does seem a tad odd that a white guy is an incarnation of the Monkey King of Chinese Legend.

We need to cast an Asian Superman one of these days. Or a black Thor.

I know right? Almost like an Asian superhero turning into the blondest, blue-eyed looking Aryan ever when he wants to become the most powerful being in the Universe lol

Wait a minute...

Just because he grew up in an Asian setting doesn't make him Asian. He's not native to the earth. Therefore, white or asian could've worked.

I know. I'm just saiyen (HAW!) that in retrosPect, casting Goku was pretty much a catch 22 where they could have cast an Asian guy who would inevitably turn into what sounds like Hitler's wet dream or cast a white guy who only kinda does the same thing but would really only outrage hardcore fans who are under the idea, whether it's right or not, that Goku was at least appearence-wise an Asian man. Which is justifiable since he's supposed to be, like, the reincarnation of a Chinese Monkey King Legend but whatever.

What we got here is a character who, although he looks like a white guy, is actually an extraterrestrial who is raised by an Asian man, trained by another, and inevitably falls in love with an Asian girl. They will inevitable have two (or at least one) sons who will probably be played by young Asian or bi-racial actors.

It seems the only actual white character in this movie is Bulma (Piccolo doesn't count lol) So between her, Mai, Yamcha, and all the other main characters in this film, it makes little sense how some people call this film a "whitewash" so to sPeak.

Right, I believe Wesley Snipes was a popular choice a while back.

Oh yeah, heard about that. But really the only "white characters" in DBE are Goku & Piccollo who are both aliens and thus technically able to be played by actors of any race without any real case of racial misrepresentation and Bulma who had baby blue eyes in the anime so is arguably caucasian.

Of course, the same logic works with Airbender. Their Earth isn't our Earth so desPite the heavily Asian overtones, there's no reason to think the characters whouldn't be of Caucasian descent.
Zuku was clearly Asian.

No, not clearly. Matter of opinion. I always figured he was Asian too, although his hazel eyes open that to interpretation.
zuko.jpg

Not exactly Bulma's baby blues but...

It seems everyone's evidence in this debate is controvertible, so I'm gonna to provide mine for the heck of it so here it goes. While everyone continues this debate, no one bothered to even bring up Bardock, or Goku's mother (which everyone care agree nobody know who this person is)

But I've seen many arguments where they say Goku has Asian features, to be honest, IMO, the only Asian features I see in Goku is the in fact the black hair. And that still doesn't justify anything, Caucasians can have black hair too, that why it's racially ambiguous. And some people use pictures from the internet, and I look at this pictures and examine them. And some of them look really different. For example, I'll compare a actual screen shot of Goku from a episode with a Goku promo image

dragonballqx3.jpg
goku02az6.gif

do you see the difference?

ok now... in regards to Bardock, some same Goku looks just like Yamcha, I say no, Yamcha and Bardock look just alike

bardockcrossingarmsma3.jpg
yamcha.jpg

But on this picture Goku really doesn't look like Bardock apart from hair, his skin is much more pale.

bardockgoku3.png

So what about his mother, the Saiyans aren't Namekians, they don't reproduce A-Sexually so therefor there has to be a female Saiyan in the picture, though she was never mentioned in the series, common sense will tell you she does exist. So is it possible his mother could have be a Saiyan will more Caucasian features. Could his mother look have looked like Bulma or Videl. I've actually seen one female Saiyan from the Frieza saga during Flash backs of Planet Vegeta and she kinda did look like Videl. I think we agree that Goku could be played by anyone of anyrace, I would actually perfer a Eurasian, someone is mixed. because for one, we all know his RACE is iin fact SAIYAN and that he is INDEED a ALIEN. Now let's use common sense here, and I say this a million times and I will continue to say this until it sinks in. ALIENS don't possess HUMAN RACE OR ORIGIN, do you not get that? In other words Goku can't BE Asian, he can look Asian. The only way I see a ALIEN life form possessing Human race or origin, is it that Alien is in fact a parasite. But Saiyans aren't parasites are they...no.. they are Humanoid Aliens. Aliens in which they resemble human characteristics. In regards to Justin Chatwin, I don't know his actual race or his ethnicities nor does it matter to me, but it's a matte of opinion when it comes to Justin Chatwin, some believe he looks just like Goku with the big eyes (not eye color), with the pointed chin and small pointed nose. Some say he doesn't resemble Goku.

Then people bring up all these Asian actors with the potential of playing a good Goku, John Foo is my favorite choice of all Asian possibilities. But one ridiculous one I've heard to date was John Cho. Then they ask why didn't they get the role? It's common sense, do you even stop think about the actor's consent at all, and that's the problem with this. You think just because he has your standards to play Goku he automatically should play Goku, regardless if the actor would even want to play him. Do you ever think of that? Why no Asian was picked, probably because very few Asians was even interested in the role, the actor has to want the role, duh. You can say oh man John Foo is perfect for the role, call him up, ask him if he's interested, and he reply "NO" ..oh..no...what now.. I bet very few Asians auditioned, you make an excuse for this all you want but it is what it is. Chatwin auditioned, he got the role, end of that.

But anyways with all this evidence I presented, it's still controvertible and unjustified and the same applies to everyone's argument and evidence. The fact is, NOBODY KNOWS but Akira and the people who created Dragonball, we can sit here on our computers and continue this debate with some of the most hard evidence to back them up and all that can change with 3 words from Akira's mouth

"Goku is Asian"
"Goku is Saiyan"

But some still continue to be ignorant and still continue this endless debate, though this debate is really entertaining, it's also pointless in my opinion...but it is good practice for debating skills.. I'll give you that one

Last edited:
great post, Kaypain. not sure i agree that few Asians would have tried out for this role considering Goku is probably the biggest fictional hero to come out of Asia, but i see your points and i agree with most of them. in the end, this discussion isn't so much about changing what currently is (Chatwin as Goku) but more or less for future ventures and for exercising racial tolerance. i've seen quite a few people come in here with narrow views and end up with more fair views.

yeah it's really a enjoyable debate when you don't have immature people flaming one another... :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"