Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The RATINGS Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention that Once Upon a Time in its 3rd season has better ratings right now than Agents of SHIELD, it's simply a more stable show that can maintain almost te same ratings for an entire Season, while Agents seems to be constantly droping.

I just hope that this isn't the end of Marvel in Prime Time.

ABC seems to be on the fence with Agent Carter. I'm still optimistic about it and it seems Marvel is enthusiastic, but I do think Agents of SHIELD will decide the fate of Marvel in Prime Time.

Not to mention that Once Upon a Time in its 3rd season has better ratings right now than Agents of SHIELD, it's simply a more stable show that can maintain almost te same ratings for an entire Season, while Agents seems to be constantly droping.

I just hope that this isn't the end of Marvel in Prime Time.

It hasn't been that stable , it has been going up and down , they've had 3 episodes that were 1.9 just like Shield. I do agree that the budget is a bit different from OUAT especially the last few episodes.

There was a point about a month ago, I said I was going to stop watching, especially when the producers were blaming the fans for not "getting" the show but I stuck it out. I don't blame anyone who has stopped though. This show truly needs to make some modification and the characters on it are just not very likable and do poor jobs coming off as SHIELD agents.

I felt the same way probably 2 months ago. I have kept to it mostly. I've said this before but I don't have cable. I don't see the point when I can watch everything online via Amazon, Hulu Plus or Netflix. So if I watch AoS its on Weds. instead but I got tired of the poor writing that I said screw it.
So now I don't really watch. I did catch the weeks but I watched last weeks right before this weeks. I havent seen the 3 episodes prior though.

There are only 20,000 households that have Nielsen boxes so you need those 800 to have boxes to count.

All this word of mouth doesn't really matter unless they're watching it on something that can be measured like a Nielsen box, iTunes or Hulu. And DVR still isn't the best but the networks need to spin something and the +7s help.

I did catch the end of last night's show to see what would happen. It will likely return but life on ABC doesn't seem long. Maybe Netflix will air the second season.

That's not quite what I meant. I just meant that what happened on my twitter account is an indication that more people are interested/excited about the show than they were in past weeks. But only a tiny tiny tiny % of the TV audience even uses twitter so it's all relative. But to have such a sigificantly larger than normal increase in my followers is an indication that in the wider community there is also probably more interest in the show - and potentially some of those interested people in the wider community DO have Nielsen boxes.

In other news, a friend who reps 60k people in her Nielsen household wasn't at home to watch last night so there's 60k more that will count in the +3C numbers LOL

Also, there's no way ABC is going to let this show go in the near future. Considering all the factors the show has been performing very well for them.

ABC seems to be on the fence with Agent Carter. I'm still optimistic about it and it seems Marvel is enthusiastic, but I do think Agents of SHIELD will decide the fate of Marvel in Prime Time.

What makes you say that? Just because they haven't announced it's actually picked up yet or is there something else out there recently that I haven't stumbled across yet? ABC doesn't like to announce things in an official way till the upfronts - they did the same with S.H.I.E.L.D. even though everyone knew it was going ahead. From what I've heard, the pilot for Carter is due to start in June in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Show is doomed.

It's pulling 9-10 million weekly when all the numbers are tallied And that's legally. I'm sure there's another million+ out there downloading torrents/streaming the show as well haha. I see no chance of the show not being renewed for another season.

Hopefully they'll get this to Netflix as soon as possible as well, that's only going to help the show going forward. When Arrow popped up there I saw people I'd never imagine watching that show enjoying it
Total viewership has zero baring on what matters. Television programs on network television set their advertising rates based off the demographic 18-49. The only ratting that has any barring is that particular demo. Take a look at CBS for a better undertstanding, they have tons of shows that have 10 million plus viewers but a number of those shows are in danger of being canceled because they have a low 18-49 demo.

3.0 (or above) = Excellent $$$
2.5-2.9 = Great
2.0-2.4= Good
1.9-1.8 = okay

During the 2007–08 season, Grey's Anatomy was able to charge $419,000 per commercial, compared to only $248,000 for a commercial during CSI, despite CSI having almost five million more viewers on average.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings#cite_note-demos2-7 It's all about that key demo 18-49 and that's why the show is all but certain to come back next season.

Why Isn't 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' a (Bigger) Hit?

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." didn't get a boost from "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Tuesday night. Even worse, the small-screen ABC entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe registered the smallest audience of its once-promising freshman season.

Spoiler alert: If you didn't watch Tuesday night, then you may not want to read this article about why you (possibly) didn't watch Tuesday night.

All clear?

Good. Now that there's a small group of us, let's review the confounding facts.

1. On Sunday, the "Captain America" sequel, "Winter Soldier," reasserted Marvel's muscle and set a new box-office record for an April release, grossing $95 million in its three-day, domestic debut.

2. On Tuesday, "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." deployed a "Winter Soldier" tie-in episode that saw primetime's S.H.I.E.L.D. agents learn, as their movie counterparts did, that the top-secret agency had been infiltrated by the evildoers of H.Y.D.R.A..

3. On Wednesday, the other Nielsen shoe dropped.

Tuesday's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." averaged 5.4 million viewers, per the latest, updated overnight ratings, down from last week's 5.7 million and ever further away from the 12.1 million who sampled the show's much-anticipated premiere last September.

Jamie Lovett, who covers "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." for ComicBook.com, theorized that the storyline related to "Winter Soldier" might have actually kept audiences away.

"No one wants to have the movie spoiled for them, and believe it or not, some people can't always find the time to see a big blockbuster on opening weekend," Lovett told Yahoo TV via email.

Lovett pointed to ABC's schedule for proof that even ABC guessed it was going to take time for people to see (or want to see) the latest episode, "Turn, Turn, Turn." The episode, which is already available via streaming, will be rebroadcast next Tuesday in the show's usual 8 p.m. timeslot; a new episode will follow at 9 p.m.

"Next week's rating will really tell the tale," Lovett said.

So far, the story hasn't been impressive.

"I think ABC may have overestimated people's hunger for superheroes on a weekly basis," said Josef Adalian, West Coast editor of New York magazine's Vulture.com. "I think there's a difference between going to a movie every six months versus making a weekly commitment."

Heading into Tuesday, "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." was averaging 8.5 million TV and DVR viewers. Compared to first-year ABC shows such as "Super Fun Night" (6 million), the already-canceled "Betrayal" (4.7 million), and "Lucky 7" (4.3 million), "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is doing well. Compared to NBC's "The Blacklist" (15 million), however, it's being shown up.

The show's relative woes have been debated since premiere week. Creatively, it's "bland," said Alan Sepinwall of Hitfix; it's "boring," Twitterverse said. A November episode, "The Well," that was linked to the then-just-released "Thor" sequel, "The Dark World," was graded a D+ by the A.V. Club.

"OK, 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' I'm at my wit's end with you," the A.V. Club's David Sims wrote.

(At least the Thor episode provided a minor Nielsen boost. That week's episode averaged 6.9 million, up from the previous week's 6.7 million.)

Demographically, "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is up against a seemingly small segment of the network's audience, chasing a cohort of young men who don't watch TV shows on a broadcast network that, as Adalian pointed out, is geared toward women who watch "The Bachelor," "Scandal," and the like.

"ABC isn't reaching a whole bunch of young men during the week," Adalian said.

On that point, "S.H.I.E.L.D." might have turned a corner Tuesday night. It was the top broadcast network show among men ages 18-34.

The show's buzz has improved, too. Some swear the series has been getting better since late last year; others point to its last couple of months; and "Turn, Turn, Turn" is getting its share of votes as a presumptive turning point.

"... Fans who have stuck with the show ... are finally seeing 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' turn into the show they always knew it could be," Lovett said.

And maybe ABC will see it turn into the ratings draw it hoped it might be.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on ABC.
. https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/why-isn-t--agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d---a--bigger--hit-011858737.html

What makes you say that? Just because they haven't announced it's actually picked up yet or is there something else out there recently that I haven't stumbled across yet? ABC doesn't like to announce things in an official way till the upfronts - they did the same with S.H.I.E.L.D. even though everyone knew it was going ahead. From what I've heard, the pilot for Carter is due to start in June in Vancouver.

You might be right. Every report I saw seemed to make it sound like a waiting game at this point with ABC and the amount of statements from the producers of the show seemed to suggest they were campaigning for it to be picked up. I hope it gets picked up. There are so many things I'd love to see it do - or just be a good show even if it doesn't do those things).

I felt the same way probably 2 months ago. I have kept to it mostly. I've said this before but I don't have cable. I don't see the point when I can watch everything online via Amazon, Hulu Plus or Netflix. So if I watch AoS its on Weds. instead but I got tired of the poor writing that I said screw it.
So now I don't really watch. I did catch the weeks but I watched last weeks right before this weeks. I havent seen the 3 episodes prior though.
You won't hear me call you a hater like some people tend to who swear if you say something wrong about the show you want it to fail and that's not the case. I truly understand because I was reeeaaallllllyyy close to doing so myself. I can say that it has gotten better but it's going to take some changes to get fans who watched the show at some point to come back. I just don't see it this season.
Again, you can point to the huge debut it had as to the potential it had. They just missed the opportunity to grab the audience afterwards.

oh Come on!
If it's not tied to a movie the people will complain that is not related, if it's the people will complain about movie spoilers, that's ridiculous!

You might be right. Every report I saw seemed to make it sound like a waiting game at this point with ABC and the amount of statements from the producers of the show seemed to suggest they were campaigning for it to be picked up. I hope it gets picked up. There are so many things I'd love to see it do - or just be a good show even if it doesn't do those things).

With the latest report that Agent Carter is going to bypass a pilot and go straight to series, I stand corrected.

It's a good show that could be great. It's needs some better characters. They need someone like Mackie/Falcon to join up, some with appeal that people can get behind. I am soooo tired of agent Ward he is sooo dull and soap opera looking. Get rid of him. Keep just one of the science geeks. Skye stays for sex appeal. they need a hero like in the avenger initiative. It can be an Amadeus cho like character that doesn't blow the budget with FX. I think a tech hero would be nice too like a shield agent that has gadgets that are preshrunk from Pym and all he can do is reach in his pocket and tap a button a and out pops a fully loaded mini gun :p

One last thing is, I really like the Coulson character but he needs to written to show more leadership qualities. He seems sorta lost, which might be intentional but a whole season of that was enough.

Realistically, how in danger of not being picked up for a second season is this show?

This is purely anecdotal evidence, I know, but I gotta say that five different people at work came up to me at random this week gushing about, "Hey, have you ever watched that 'Agents of SHIELD' series? How about that Ward, huh?" This is the first time I've *ever* heard anyone at work talking about the show, but it now ranks #1 in TV buzz around the water cooler.

This is purely anecdotal evidence, I know, but I gotta say that five different people at work came up to me at random this week gushing about, "Hey, have you ever watched that 'Agents of SHIELD' series? How about that Ward, huh?" This is the first time I've *ever* heard anyone at work talking about the show, but it now ranks #1 in TV buzz around the water cooler.

You know I've notice this as well, the other day after the show aired, 2 people that work at the coffee show I go to we're talking about the show . And it's not the first time in the last few weeks that I be heard people talk about the show.

lol Yeah even our Admin Kelly saw the show and Loved it. lol

I'm predicting a big jump this Tues since more people have watched the movie and will have a chance to catch both episodes.

The movie might give it a bit of bump, but ultimately the show itself has to draw people in.

With the latest report that Agent Carter is going to bypass a pilot and go straight to series, I stand corrected.
There was a report that AC might go to series but until ABC announces its schedule , nothing is definite .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"