02/04/14 - 2.2 - 6.62
03/04/14 - 1.8 - 5.46
03/11/14 - 2.1 - 5.99
04/01/14 - 2.0 - 5.71
04/08/14 - 1.9 - 5.37
04/15/14 - 2.1 - 5.52
04/22/14 - 1.9 - 6.04
04/29/14 - 2.1 - 5.95

While I'm disappointed it didn't get that TWS boost, that is the very picture of consistency right there. And that's with the highly erratic schedule. It has built a loyal audience within a ridiculously difficult time slot. And I'm telling you, if it can maintain the level of quality we've seen recently into next season, I definitely think bring the ratings back into that 2.4 range, which would secure the show long-term. As for now, a second season announcement is a mere formality, in my humble opinion.

While I'm disappointed it didn't get that TWS boost, that is the very picture of consistency right there. And that's with the highly erratic schedule. It has built a loyal audience within a ridiculously difficult time slot. And I'm telling you, if it can maintain the level of quality we've seen recently into next season, I definitely think bring the ratings back into that 2.4 range, which would secure the show long-term. As for now, a second season announcement is a mere formality, in my humble opinion.

great news about the ratings.. hope the momentum builds up for the finale

Any new word on the Agent Carter series?
It would make a nice a bookend for the second half of next season.

No word on Agent Carter yet, we'll likely here about it at the same time as the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. renewal. Less than 2 weeks to wait now...

I haven't seen the agent carter short, but I love agents of shield. But i think it i will be very hard for the Carter show to get a strong audience. Its hard enough for AOS to do it.

I think the show could go a few seasons

I wonder if the Agent Carter show would cover the genesis of the Hydra infiltration. That would be interesting.

I think 4-5 seasons is a complete possibility. As the show progresses they'll pick up more fans, especially if season two is as good as the second half of season 1.

You know what? I'm in for the few seasons full of good stories then "CSI-Shield" with the weekly monster and tons of boredom.

And yet there are also people who complain the show *isn't* monster of the week. *shrugs*

I think the show could go a few seasons

It's essentially a ABC/Disney/Marvel pet project, something that they want to throw their full support behind to further add promotion for their films. They're gonna do everything they can to ensure the show stays on the air.

With this show, I think ABC will do to this show what NBC has done with a lot of their comedies in recent years: keep renewing the show despite low ratings. NBC did it over the last few years with The Office, 30 Rock, Community and Parks and Recreation.

NBC has had a recent history of shows that hover around the 2.0-2.9 mark in the ratings, although those shows were mainly comedies.

Besides reality and sports shows the only show i can think of that averages that high for NBC is the Blacklist- so please tell me what shows are u referring to?

With this show, I think ABC will do to this show what NBC has done with a lot of their comedies in recent years: keep renewing the show despite low ratings. NBC did it over the last few years with The Office, 30 Rock, Community and Parks and Recreation.

Since when is 2.1 demo in the 18-49 considered a low rating :doh:

The shows that you mention don't even come close to matching a 2.1. I think that you are making the common mistake that people who don't understand ratings tend to do and focus on total viewers and not the 18-49 demo which is how the advertising rates are set.

There is a HUGE difference between 1.9 and 2.1 in the amount of dollars one can charge so the small adjustments we see (when the number finalize) are really huge adjustments.

NBC wishes any of those show u mentioned averaged 2.0s or higher but Im pretty sure none of them do.

Agents will 100% be renewed w.its current GOOD ratings.

I checked Spotted Ratings Power Rankings for NBC and it looks like Chicago Fire has an average of 2.06 for the '13-14 TV season. But the last time it was 2.0 was January 7th.

AoS for the the '13-'14 TV season has averaged 2.45 in the demo.

Here are other 1 hr dramas that are 2.45 or above for the season on the networks

ABC
Scandal (3.05)
Grey's Anatomy (2.71)
Resurrection (2.51)* (Only a 8 episode season)

CBS
NCIS (2.86)
Criminal Minds (2.5)
NCIS:LA (2.46)

NBC
Blacklist (2.92)

Fox
Sleepy Hollow (2.61)* (Only a 13 episode season)

So putting Resurrection and Sleepy Hollow aside do to their short seasons there have been only 6 other dramas on Network TV that have had a better season than AoS demo average wise.

Last edited:
Besides reality and sports shows the only show i can think of that averages that high for NBC is the Blacklist- so please tell me what shows are u referring to?

Scandal, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Grey's Anatomy

None of those are on NBC.

I know that. I was saying that this show isn't the ratings giant and the only reason I mentioned those NBC shows was because none of those NBC shows were ratings giants either, but had enough of a following to stay until the very end. That's what I hope to see from Agents of SHIELD. Not a ratings smash, but 6 or 7 seasons on the air with a solid following, like those NBC shows.

I know that. I was saying that this show isn't the ratings giant and the only reason I mentioned those NBC shows was because none of those NBC shows were ratings giants either, but had enough of a following to stay until the very end. That's what I hope to see from Agents of SHIELD. Not a ratings smash, but 6 or 7 seasons on the air with a solid following, like those NBC shows.
Confused why u listed shows on other networks when I ask u to list the NBC shows that u said bring in 2.0-2.9 ratings...lol

I get the point u were trying to make u just went a out it by comparing a show that pulls in a lot of advertising dollars to shows on NBC that dont- it wasnt a good comparison. AOS isnt a ratings giant so that's true, but it's bringing in good solid ratings- those NBC shows u listed do NOT.

The one thing that plays a factor that really hasn't been brought up is production costs. So while AOS may pull in more money from advertisers it likely has a higher price tag to produce, so that might work as a negative. The good news is that the show is produced in house which means if it ever has enough episodes for syndication it will prove extremly profitable in the long run for ABC (Disney). Syndication is probably the ONLY reason Community was renewed- they can now sell the show into syndication because of this last season. The productuon cost is the x-factor that may a play a part in renewals and truthfully I have no idea how much AOS cost.

AoS for the the '13-'14 TV season has averaged 2.45 in the demo.

Here are other 1 hr dramas that are 2.45 or above for the season on the networks

ABC
Scandal (3.05)
Grey's Anatomy (2.71)
Resurrection (2.51)* (Only a 8 episode season)

CBS
NCIS (2.86)
Criminal Minds (2.5)
NCIS:LA (2.46)

NBC
Blacklist (2.92)

Fox
Sleepy Hollow (2.61)* (Only a 13 episode season)

So putting Resurrection and Sleepy Hollow aside do to their short seasons there have been only 6 other dramas on Network TV that have had a better season than AoS demo average wise.
Thanks for the list! It really puts things into perspective when u look deeper into things, interesting. Usually big star salaries are the main expense and AOS doesn't really have any so thats another huge plus for the show, but they do have explosions, flying cars, and stunts so that increases the budget. From just a ratings stand point- asu can see by these other shows AOS is doing rather great!

Does anyone know when the official announcements for renewals is expected?

Confused why u listed shows on other networks when I ask u to list the NBC shows that u said bring in 2.0-2.9 ratings...lol

I get the point u were trying to make u just went a out it by comparing a show that pulls in a lot of advertising dollars to shows on NBC that dont- it wasnt a good comparison. AOS isnt a ratings giant so that's true, but it's bringing in good solid ratings- those NBC shows u listed do NOT.

The one thing that plays a factor that really hasn't been brought up is production costs. So while AOS may pull in more money from advertisers it likely has a higher price tag to produce, so that might work as a negative. The good news is that the show is produced in house which means if it ever has enough episodes for syndication it will prove extremly profitable in the long run for ABC (Disney). Syndication is probably the ONLY reason Community was renewed- they can now sell the show into syndication because of this last season. The productuon cost is the x-factor that may a play a part in renewals and truthfully I have no idea how much AOS cost.

Those four NBC shows have (or had) a cult fan following, I hope that Agents of SHIELD does too. It's been my point all along. The only reasons those shows lasted as long as they did was due to the loyal (but small) fanbase.

It's been my point all along.

Does anyone know when the official announcements for renewals is expected?

ABC's upfront is May 13th. Although sometimes renewals come a day or a few prior to the upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"