The Dark Knight The Real Hero Of Tdk Is Christohper Nolan (appreciation Thread)

raybia

Signing off
Reaction score
I have been on these boards since 2004 and came for the expressed purpose of entering into discussions on the revamping of the Batman franchise under the helm of, at that time, somewhat unknown director Christopher Nolan.

The first Christopher Nolan movie that I had seen was Memento and I was blown away but the complexity of the screenplay but the marvelous simplicity of the plot.

Next came Insomnia and knowing it was the same director from Memento I went to see whether he was a fluke or if he was really an up and coming great director to be watched.

The cinematography of the movie was eye popping and the acting was superb. Yes it was both Pacino and Robin Williams but I've seen the performance of great actors ruined in the past by bad directors but Nolan was able to let these gentleman do what they clearly have the ability to do, which is act.

All of the other performances were excellent too as well as the acting of a certain actor who I noticed from Nolan's previous movie. An actor by the name of Larry Holden who would became a fan favorite, as well as mine, of those who follow Nolan's movies.

I had high hopes for the new course of the Batman franchise and hoped and prayed that David Fincher would be picked as the director as I was a huge fan of Seven and was convinced ever since I saw it that this was the only director who could successfully resuscitate the series and capture the true essence of Batman as only previously realized in the comics, graphic novels, and on the animated series.

When it was announced that Nolan was picked I was mildly disappointed but after my initial dismay thought that maybe, just maybe Nolan was good enough to where he wouldn't screw up the new Batman series. Then came the moment where I have been smiling ever since.

When I first saw Christian Bale in American Psycho, I have had a hard one ever since for this man to play Batman. Bateman WAS Bruce Wayne! (Without the ax of course!)

I insisted to all of my friends that Bale was born to play Batman and no actor in Hollywood could come close as far as I was concern (I did concede to a friend that Daniel Day Lewis would in fact outdo Bale but G-d knew that he would never accept such a role/in retrospect I'm not so sure).

So it was rumored that Bale was up for the part and while I couldn't believe my eyes and ears, I tried my best not to get my hopes up high out of fear of major disappointment. When it was confirmed however, my imagination soared over the possibilities!

Still, what did Nolan really know about the mythology of the Dark Knight?

My fears were put to ease when David Goyer, fanboy and comic book extraordinaire, came on board along with the new directions for the reboot...that of realism.

It was all coming together like a perfect storm.

I won't bore all of you with the rest because the success of BB is well documented and now legendary.

Nolan has made more movies since BB, notably The Prestige, which was a well received movie, if not without its shortcomings (Much better I felt than that other magician movie that came out at the same time).

Of course, based on the success of BB, we all had high expectations of TDK, but I for one, had not even come close to anticipating the rave reviews that are poring in that is putting this film at almost a masterpiece level.

Nolan is on the verge of becoming a name on the same level as living legends such as Spielberg, Mann, and Scorsese.

Having seen almost all of Nolan's movies, I can see the steady growth and development of Nolan's skill from a new director with high potential to a seasoned and highly talented one who may have it in him to become England's most brilliant director since Hitchcock.

Yes, that is a lofty comparison but it is very intentional on my part.

With TDK, I don't think Nolan has peaked as a director, I think he has finally arrived!

Christopher, thank you for giving us Batman fans the Batman movie that deep down in our fanboy hearts and minds, knew could be made!

You are a legend!!

Nolan has made more movies since BB, notably The Prestige, which was a well received movie, if not without its shortcomings (Much better I felt than that other magician movie that came out at the same time).

He made a Batman vs. Wolverine movie where Batman won and it was because of.... prep time.

Nolan rocks.

I'll chime in on this subject once I seen the movie next week. ;)

Guys, I'm gonna have to step in right here and disagree. I believe the real hero of the whole TDK production is, of course, Daryl Satcher, who plays the pivotal role of "Officer at Intersection". http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1699095/

Yeah, peep that Movie Meter. 889%. That's what I thought.

Not gonna jinx him, so I'll leave my opinion until after I see the film..

Not gonna jinx him, so I'll leave my opinion until after I see the film..

Sorry, man. You can't jinx Nolan. ALL OF HIS MOVIES HAVE BEEN AMAZING and there's every reason his perfect batting average is never going to change.

Since we can almost all agree about the craftsmanship that goes into his productions, let's just talk about personal qualities, particularly loyalty.

He's been working with the same DP since Memento and he's worked with Julyan time and time again for the scores to his films. Castwise, you can see recurrences, namely, for me, Mark Boone Junior just because I can never shake him from his appearance in Memento.

Now let's just gush about the craftsmanship, because that can't be avoided.

Working with Pfister for so long, they, in all likelihood, have formed a really strong collaborative bond, if the beautiful cinematography in all his films are anything to go by. The close-up shots of the blood leaking through the fibers in Insomnia are beautiful and who can forget the opening to Memento? WHAT A HOOK.

Of course, with Nolan, you can't escape talking about the elaborate structure of his films. Since I don't wanna bore anyone by talking about every one, The Prestige is the one I'll pick out (since everyone knows about Memento).

The 'sleight of hand' he uses to conceal certain elements of the story are amazing. Going further would be spoiler territory, and I don't know how to do spoiler tags, but anyone who's seen the movie should know what I mean and anyone who's seen it more than once knows just how incredible that feat is.

And yet, as fantastic as Nolan is, each production is always the work of a whole, and it takes a fantastic cast and crew to turn out something that will be as great as TDK.

But yeah, true enough, directors too often get passed up for credit nowadays with the star system in place.

I can say without reservation that Nolan is one of the greatest directors around, alive or dead.

I loved every movie this guy makes, not cos I'm Batman fan but also as a movie fan too.

He's one of my favourite director, his films make you think about it and makes you see it again.

Chris Nolan is a director who constantly finds ways to impress me. Every time I go to one of his movies, I think "this must be the one that sucks". He always blows me away.

He may not make total masterpieces, but he's always getting closer to one.

Definitely my favorite director. Intelligent, great story teller, humble, and seems like an overall good guy to know.

Never under estimate the crap a fan boy can generate when given an outlet.

Better than Scorsese? Spielberg? Guy's living in a dream world to compare a guy who has made four or five films to guys who have been making great movies for four decades.

While it's true that Nolan hasn't made as many movies as the above named directors, I don't think that makes him any less talented. Saying he's the best director alive is a bit much, but I still think Nolan is a very good director.

Having seen almost all of Nolan's movies, I can see the steady growth and development of Nolan's skill from a new director with high potential to a seasoned and highly talented one who may have it in him to become England's most brilliant director since Hitchcock.
You're just missing one more - Following, which is like a mini-Memento and is spectacular considering the way they filmed it (no-budget, on weekends for over a year). :yay:

Sorry, man. You can't jinx Nolan. ALL OF HIS MOVIES HAVE BEEN AMAZING and there's every reason his perfect batting average is never going to change.

Since we can almost all agree about the craftsmanship that goes into his productions, let's just talk about personal qualities, particularly loyalty.
Agree with your first point. Two things assure my butt in a theater seat - Pixar and Christopher Nolan. (Even though the first film of his I saw in a theater was BB but...anyway.) IMO his "worst" movie was Insomnia, but even then it was still pretty good. Just not as gripping story-wise as his other films.

His longtime collaborations are very admirable, since he's undoubtedly very close to some of his crew - Wally Pfister, Nathan Crowley, David Julyan, and of course Emma Thomas and Jonah.

What I find even more fascinating, though, is his total focus and absolute assurance in his work. No matter how big or small, every one of his films start out in his garage, and the filming process is always just as intimate. And don't forget the minimal CGI and no second unit.

Nobody would have been surprised if he had mismanaged BB, because it was his first big-budget action movie. But he kept his cool throughout the whole thing, and produced a very good film, arguably the best superhero film ever. During TDK when Ledger passed away, Nolan was adamant that he edit with the same intentions as before to do the performance justice.

Many interviews with cast and crew relate the fact that Nolan always knows exactly what he wants and how to get it, so even though each film is a different project with different issues, Nolan's assurance is the constant. Studios must love him because he's always working within budget and time constraints. :hehe:

I've always thought this, but definitely now more than ever - we Batman fans are tremendously, ridiculously lucky to have Nolan directing this new franchise. I've become a Christopher Nolan fan(girl :woot: ) in the process too!

I had a dream last night. In the dream, a friend and I went to see TDK. After which, he said "so. . what did you think? You always 'lowball' a movie, the first time out. . so?"

I replied "Meh. . 4/10."

He slapped me and said "show some respect."

I had a dream last night. In the dream, a friend and I went to see TDK. After which, he said "so. . what did you think? You always 'lowball' a movie, the first time out. . so?"

I replied "Meh. . 4/10."

He slapped me and said "show some respect."

Good friends are so rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"