The Resident Evil Thread

I want to see Chris (his younger self)/Wesker/Rebecca/Barry/Billy/Steve get a RE Engine makeover. Another remake is probably under development now as I doubt RE9 would be released right after Re8 or two years after re8. So they would need to release something in 2022/2023 as Re has always been Capcom's main cash cow.I really don't want a Re4 remake unless we already got 1/0/CV first. Those three just look dated compare to re4 especially with the fixed camera.

As for re8. I still don't like that they chose this 1st person perspective. I feel like with the remakes having the same perspective as 4/5/6. The newer non remakes shouldn't have been different for consistency.

My review:
I finished Leon's scenario in 7 hrs and 18 mins. It could have been faster if I didn't save 55 times. I didn't have fun playing this. The graphics/game models are great. The controls are easy. I liked how the maps are more informative compare before. However the game has too many jump scares. I screamed like more than twenty times. This never really happened to me before in the previous RE games even when I was a kid. The lighting of this game IMO was really poor. I'm sure Capcom intentionally didn't include bulbs in all of the rooms to make this quite scary, but I was playing in easy mode and zombies still popped out of nowhere and it just left me completely off guard. The difference in hard mode is the enemies take more bullets to kill, but they aren't fewer in easy. A lot of the rooms are just dark and it was not just easy to see. In the really dark areas, sometimes two zombies cornered me and it was almost like I had no option but just accept their bite. I also couldn't appreciate the graphical upgrades of this compare to the original because of this issue. The colors don't pop in the dark, a lot of the details in the design can easily be ignored even if you point your flashlight. The game also has a haze look/washout filter. I don't know why, its the same in re3r. Im not a fan of it. In the original game, I instantly remembered what the rooms look like. Here, the rooms are dark. I'm always in a hurry because zombies just pop out of nowhere and Mr. X was such a stalker. I didn't really have that much time to just observe the rooms especially in the police station.

The enemies are easy to pass by but I always needed to be mindful of my surroundings and it really took out the fun of the game. The hardest section of the game was the police station especially when Mr. X was in a hunt mode. Weirdly, he didn't follow Leon in the sewers and the laboratory which was nice. The easiest section is the laboratory and it was quite short. I've missed a couple of rooms especially the ones that contain the weapon upgrades.

I played a little bit of the second run. As much as I want to play as Claire (which I haven't done in a long time) and interact with Sherry. I'm just not in the mood to roam around the dark halls of the police station again, and this time avoid Mr. X for a much longer time.

After Leon's chapter, even though I was stressed, I wish it was longer. The original game was short but I felt like they could have make it longer especially with the cutscenes. There's no special cutscene when you first encounter the licker and Mr. X and when Marvin turned into a zombie. Leon and Claire only interacted once in the police station and it was outside. The third/last time they saw each other was in the end. Its like you really need to play both of them just to see them in the game. I also miss the small encounter of Leon with Sherry from the orginal game.

I have to be really bored to continue Claire's part. I just don't want to stress myself with this game right now, even though its probably going to take just a few days/hours to finish her part. I think it will take a while maybe two years for me to pick up Re3/re7. And I'm gonna wait longer for re8 especially its a fp game. If I have to give Re2 remake a score, its just a 7. I can't get over how dark the rooms are. Totally ruined the game forme.
I'm gonna adjust my score to an 8.2 as I just finished the second run featuring Claire. I enjoyed playing as Claire. I just haven't played the character for a very long time so it was nice controlling her again. I binged played Re4/5/6 in 2018, played the re2 demo as Leon last year and the re3 demo this year. Claire and Jill should really headline another numbered game.

I finished the 2nd run under 6 hours which is shorter than my first run and I got the true ending. I finally went to the rooms/items I've missed in the first run. Like Leon, I wasnt killed. But when I was playing Sherry, I was caught 3 times just like I was killed as Ada more than once. The police station remains to be the most stressful part as Mr. X follows you almost right away. I got a big punch when he first he showed up as I didn't expect him to show up so early.

Like I said, this game would have been more enjoyable if parts of the game especially the police station, didn't look so dark. I finally adjusted the brightness setting to the maximum when I started playing as Sherry, and suddenly I could see things much clearer but there's a white shade so I had to lower the brightness setting. I enjoyed shooting the zombies in the legs but I still don't like the jump scares especially when they came out of nowhere. The lickers and dogs are much easier to spot when I enter a room.

I also enjoyed seeing Sherry. I still remember her as a grown up in re6 and I chose her over Jake. But I kinda wish I've seen more from her. I think the game expands the original re2 well but I would have liked it more if the characters were more fleshed out (like in re4) and they could have done that if the game was longer and had more cutscenes. And I wish Claire and Leon had more interaction with each other. They were going around the same places and they don't cross paths at all, except for the beginning and the end. I didn't read the files so Mr. X's appearance here didn't make sense to me.

Plus onemore thing I've always noticed. Sherry's mom looks so much like Juliet from Lost. After the second run, I like this game more. I know we are getting the remake of re4 after re8 which is odd. But I hope they remake Code Veronica, Zero and the first game sometime. Those three games should get a remake treatment like re2.

Last edited:
Finally ordered RE2R. Really looking forward to it but won't be playing it just yet as I need to finish The Evil Within which I have loved so far.

I can't with these remakes... As a giant fan of the original RE2, nearly everything in the remake feels like "poor man's". Mr. X is the only improvement. I don't want to finish it. I'm just not enjoying it.

Glad I didn't buy RE3R. They say it's worse.

I can't with these remakes... As a giant fan of the original RE2, nearly everything in the remake feels like "poor man's". Mr. X is the only improvement. I don't want to finish it. I'm just not enjoying it.

I enjoyed the RE2 remake but I still prefer the original PS2 version. It’s more creepier

The original came out in Ps1. The remake is creepier as a lot of the rooms are freaking dark.

Is Re still one of your current favorites?

I enjoyed the RE2 remake but I still prefer the original PS2 version. It’s more creepier
It's creepier due to camera angles and arguably the best music in the series. It uses sound and cutscenes direction more efficiently to create horror as well.

But also:
1) Original has superior characters with much more personality. New versions are so dull and try-hard with their cursing, long-winded and mind-numbingly dull conversations and monologues. Constant chatting kills the atmosphere yet at the same time manages to not develop characters. And there's barely any cooperation between Leon and Claire. Poor Ada Wong with her cliched spy trench coat, shades at night and heels. And the rest of the supporting cast didn't really survive "remaking".
2) A-B scenario system and so-called zapping, when secondary decisions also affect experience of the second part.
3) Less annoying bosses (they don't drag as much as in the remake).
4) Better puzzles. Remake's puzzling are so freaking lame.

The original came out in Ps1. The remake is creepier as a lot of the rooms are freaking dark.

Is Re still one of your current favorites?
I believe camera work and sound are way more important than drab or dark environments. Sound was always cornerstone of horror experience.

RE is still one of my favorite "old" franchises. Even if I consider remakes to be failures, I enjoyed VII as a new turn for the series and looking forward to the gothic horror of VIII. I still play RE2 and RE4.

Well there's a reason why fiXed camera are now considered as dated, especially in games like this one.

As for the sound, the zombies are much louder in the remake and the sound design is crispier. I miss some of the sound effects from the original like in the menu/footsteps of the playable character, however they just don't feel modern anymore.

Fixed camera isn't dated. It's still being employed in modern games. Look at Until Dawn. It's just not as trendy as FP or OTS. It's more like a marketing thing to lure people who play only action games and love their gunz. Only the devs decided to forget what kind of a game they're remaking and what made it so good in the first place. I mean, Shinji Mikami, when he was remaking his original game, he didn't alternate the original experience. No wonder Capcom even started calling the RE2 remake "reimagining". So much was changed beyond basic structure, some locations and the cast, that doesn't resemble much their original selves.

In the end, it comes down to execution. Despite visual fidelity, RE2-3 remakes feel really pedestrian and uninspired, imo. I welcome any camera mode as long as it's utilized well. I'm probably being a cranky old fart who sounds like everything was better in my youth, but it's supposed to be a remake and it departed too far from what I remember and love.

Until Dawn isn't a game where you use a gun and shoot things. Its a game similar to Detroit Become Human.

I didn't like the remake for Re3, but they remade Re2 pretty well imo.

Just because Until Dawn doesn't use more action-packed gameplay, doesn't mean it's impossible to add it to fixed or semi-dynamic cameras. It was done many times in 90s, 00s and 10s. From Silent Hill to God of War. From Devil May Cry to Bayonetta. Onimusha. Metal Gear...

The last Metal Gear Solid and God of War don't have fixed camera. There's a reason why so many franchises didn't the fixed camera as its harder to shoot/aim at enemies using guns. I think its what they call "tank controls"back in those days.

I'm sure some games still use them but a lot of the older franchises have ditched fixed camera.

The last Metal Gear Solid and God of War don't have fixed camera. There's a reason why so many franchises didn't the fixed camera as its harder to shoot/aim at enemies using guns. I think its what they call "tank controls"back in those days.

I'm sure some games still use them but a lot of the older franchises have ditched fixed camera.
It wasn't hard to aim at enemies in early Resident Evil games even with manual aim. With auto-aim it was breeze. Shooting things in RE games was an easy way out. It's not the reason. Challenge in RE games was managing resources and dodging threats. Until RE4, with much bigger focus on action. But it was an entirely different game design philosophy and fixed camera wouldn't have worked there.

In RE2R, manual aim didn't give a player anything. You still need to put 5-7 bullets into a zombie skull to put him down. Compare it to the original game, where you just need 5-7 bullets to kill a zombie (in some versions there's a chance to decapitate a zombie, but it's random). This OTS aim adds literally nothing to gameplay. Only makes it look more fancier. This change is superficial. Even if you put a little effort to shoot zombies in a head or some other part to stun them, you better just ignore them, because it's not worth it most of the time. And if a game with a much more fluid aim encourages you to avoid killing things, it ultimately feels unsatisfying. Unlike, for example, RE4. Where killing efficiently is rewarding.

Last edited:
In certain areas it was hard though with the fiXed camera. And I don't recall auto aiming in the first three games.

And I have to disagree with that Third person perspective adds nothing. And if thats superficiality, then people would just hate on it and long time franchises would have stayed with the fiXed camera. There's more freedom when you can do a 360 turn and see your environment, you could inspect objects in different angles instead of being limited to a fixed camera angle.

Also, if you have played RE2 remake you can see the facial expressions/eyes of the zombies more as opposed to the original game.

If seeing things up close and seeing more details in your surroundings are just superficiality. Then I thank Capcom for their superficial ways.

And you can kill a zombie with a single shotgun shell in re2r. And in re2r, you don't need to kill every zombie especially in harder modes in which you are limited in bullets. And it can be rewarding killing zombies in re2r as you will go back to certain locations especially there are areas where a licker is activated later in the game. While Re4 requires iirc in certain areas to finish off all enemies, there's not a single area, well most of the areas have at least 4 enemies waiting. Both are different games especially in re4, there's a merchant in which you can buy ammos.

Last edited:
In certain areas it was hard though with the fiXed camera. And I don't recall auto aiming in the first three games.
I'm not sure about what versions of RE1 had auto-aim (I think only Japanese versions had that). But RE2, RE3, and RECV had auto-aim toggle-able in options.
And I have to disagree with that Third person perspective adds nothing. And if thats superficiality, then people would just hate on it and long time franchises would have stayed with the fiXed camera. There's more freedom when you can do a 360 turn and see your environment, you could inspect objects in different angles instead of being limited to a fixed camera angle.
Sure, it lets you freely observe surroundings, but that's basically it. It sacrifices atmosphere of the classic game and adds almost nothing to gameplay.
Also, if you have played RE2 remake you can see the facial expressions/eyes of the zombies more as opposed to the original game.

If seeing things up close and seeing more details in your surroundings are just superficiality. Then I thank Capcom for their superficial ways.
I feel that sometimes less is more. The less you see, the more is left to your imagination. And imagination can conjure terrible things. If everything is laid out to you in detail, the only thing left is just gore. Gore is repulsing, but it's not scary. Even the devs of the remake, it seems, suspected something. Hence all those additions like rain, darkness, to conceal as much as they can, because the new camera mode (and lack of music) kills the atmosphere.
And you can kill a zombie with a single shotgun shell in re2r. And in re2r, you don't need to kill every zombie especially in harder modes in which you are limited in bullets. And it can be rewarding killing zombies in re2r as you will go back to certain locations especially there are areas where a licker is activated later in the game. While Re4 requires iirc in certain areas to finish off all enemies, there's not a single area, well most of the areas have at least 4 enemies waiting. Both are different games especially in re4, there's a merchant in which you can buy ammos.
I brought RE4 as an example where OTS camera and aiming are critical to the experience. The game was designed around that. Hence the switch to more action-packed gameplay overall. Mikami probably understood that if you give a player rich action opportunities, but don't deliver on the action, it might feel underwhelming. And that's why I feel the remake misses the mark here. It tries to preserve the classic gameplay of the original, but adds the new camera and controls, and barely uses them for gameplay.

Last edited:
Can you really shoot enemies directly at their leg in the previous game, where the fixed camera angle varies? I don't think so.

These changes weren't implemented for superficiality or else critics aside from you would have shredded the re2 remake and not received any nominations. I just don't see how the original game was more terrific/atmospheric when all lights are on, most of the rooms don't look as messy compare to the remake, and zombies cant follow you around by entering rooms, the footsteps of the playable character sound exactly the same in every room you walk into. Then being less is more, so how exactly being less is more atmospheric? When enemies in the remake could show up out of nowhere or enter windows/rooms, I don't see how that is less terrfying than the original.

Agree to disagree.

Eh, it's not the first time critics and audiences adore something mediocre.

Yes, you can shoot zombies directly in the leg in some of the earlier games with fixed camera. You can aim to the knees, regularly and upwards.

According to reports, RE8 is struggling in PS5. Well we all know that ps5 is less powerful than Series X, but of course Sony had the nerve to price it similarly to the Series X. Reading things like this is making me dislike even more that PS5 (disc version) is 100 dollars more exspensive than the original Ps4/Ps4 pro. The f***** nerve. There's just no eXcuse if Re8 is indeed having troubles in the ps5.

As for Re8, I'm not in a rush to play it. Its weird, Re7 is in my wishlist for so long but so manygames that aren't included in my list until recently l, I already bought them and the day I was going to pick up Re7, it wasn't available but last week, I sawi t in the stores but I bought something else. Just Not a fan of the 1st person perspective. I still wish Capcom would just give us the optionto switch camera perspective. If Rockstar could do it, then Capcom should as well especially Resident Evil isn't even open world.

According to reports, RE8 is struggling in PS5. Well we all know that ps5 is less powerful than Series X, but of course Sony had the nerve to price it similarly to the Series X. Reading things like this is making me dislike even more that PS5 (disc version) is 100 dollars more exspensive than the original Ps4/Ps4 pro. The f***** nerve. There's just no eXcuse if Re8 is indeed having troubles in the ps5.

As for Re8, I'm not in a rush to play it. Its weird, Re7 is in my wishlist for so long but so manygames that aren't included in my list until recently l, I already bought them and the day I was going to pick up Re7, it wasn't available but last week, I sawi t in the stores but I bought something else. Just Not a fan of the 1st person perspective. I still wish Capcom would just give us the optionto switch camera perspective. If Rockstar could do it, then Capcom should as well especially Resident Evil isn't even open world.
I always prefer at least a 3rd person option.

I'd hope nothing is struggling due to specs as we are at the beginning of the generation. Maybe it's an optimisation issue.

I don't get why Capcom keeps hiding Ethan's face.

There's a head to toe pic, his game look in Re8, and his eyes are blurred! Like he's a normal dude, there's nothing wrong with showing his face.

It was weird when they didn't bother to show his face in Re7 in any of the cutscenes, then this. I guess his face won't be shown again. And the face they keep showing to market re8 is Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"