The Resident Evil Thread

The rest of 3 should be next #justiceforjill and I really hope Code Veronica gets a spot before 5. Very curious about 9. Not sure what they'll do after 7&8.

The rest of 3 should be next #justiceforjill and I really hope Code Veronica gets a spot before 5. Very curious about 9. Not sure what they'll do after 7&8.
I'll be that guy and say I don't really see any value creatively or commercially in remaking 5 or 6. Remake the rest of 3, Code Veronica, and a maybe another redux of 1 then call it done.

Resident Evil 5 was a commercially successfully game, despite not being one of the most critically acclaimed RE games. Out of the numbered games, it sits with siX as the most divisive. And Capcom definitely has the resources to make the remake a big improvement from the original one. Taking out the ridiculous parts of the original (Chris punching a giant rock, the truck with the machine gun segment) and eXpand on what worked.

Another remake for Resident Evil 3 would just appear like an apology to the 2020 remake, and thats why it ain't happening. Also even if its faithful and much better, would the general public buy a 2nd RE3 remake not more than a decade than the last one? Remake for RE5 and RE6 would sell a lot better.

As for RE6, they could do a complete reimagining of that game. Keep some few story beats but half of it is completely retooled, making it the definitive RE6.

Resident Evil 5 was a commercially successfully game, despite not being one of the most critically acclaimed RE games. Out of the numbered games, it sits with siX as the most divisive. And Capcom definitely has the resources to make the remake a big improvement from the original one. Taking out the ridiculous parts of the original (Chris punching a giant rock, the truck with the machine gun segment) and eXpand on what worked.
Commercial success is irrelevant. It sold big at launch then critics and fans alike **** on it for good reason. You can see those diminished returns in RE6. I'm still confused as to what people think actually worked about that game. From a gameplay perspective, it was step backwards and laughably dated even for its time of release and not to mention the blatant racism. The story is also really weak even for this series. I think Capcom is smart enough to not go anywhere near that game with a 10 foot pole. I'd also argue that the majority of RE fans couldn't care less about a remake of six. It damn near killed the IP and forced them to so a soft reboot with 7. Also, they SHOULD be apologizing for the remake of 3, they released half a neutered game and charged a premium for it.

Last edited:
RE5 is my favorite in the series so I welcome a remake as long as it remains faithful to the original. 6 went too far with the action and split story lines. But it was a blast to play. I loved the melee combat.

RE5 being a gigantic commercial success all but guarantees its eventually remake.

Yeah, y'all gotta remember RE5 wasn't just very successful, it was the highest selling Capcom game for 9 straight years. It was only taken off that pedestal by Monster Hunter World, almost a decade later. And Monster Hunter only did it by literally 200k copies.

RE5R is 100% happening.

You folks are entirely too focused on the sales as opposed to the actual reception of it. Remaking a game that the vast majority of fans thought was a massive step backwards doesn't make sense regardless of how well it sold.

Last edited:
You folks are entirely too focused on the sales as opposed to the actual reception of it. Remaking a game that the vast majority of fans thought was a massive step backwards doesn't make sense regardless of how well it sold.

Honestly I think you're too dismissive of its sales. If it were truly terrible as you claim it, it would have tanked hard after initial release. Fading away.

But reigned for 9 years as the best seller. People for 9 years kept buying. I get you dislike it. But it's success is established.

Another remake for Resident Evil 3 would just appear like an apology to the 2020 remake, and thats why it ain't happening.

Doesn't need another remake though. It needs a large content patch. The game should be updated, not remade again imo. Ideally free but I'd settle for a paid DLC expansion if I had to, for the sake of funding it

Honestly I think you're too dismissive of its sales. If it were truly terrible as you claim it, it would have tanked hard after initial release. Fading away.

But reigned for 9 years as the best seller. People for 9 years kept buying. I get you dislike it. But it's success is established.
That's not how that works. It was Capcoms best selling game of all time because nothing else they'd released in that time was able to move more units. That doesn't mean people kept buying it in droves over the years and it achieved that being the direct sequel to one of the most lauded and influential games of the time. I guarantee you that the vast majority of those sales were day 1. I'd love to see trade in data on it because I'd bet money those numbers aren't pretty.

All I'm asking is that they improve the Ndesu fight in the remake. One of the worst boss battles in the series.

Doesn't need another remake though. It needs a large content patch. The game should be updated, not remade again imo. Ideally free but I'd settle for a paid DLC expansion if I had to, for the sake of funding it
A truthful Resident Evil 3 remake needs serious budgeting like these past remakes. Capcom is probably better off remaking Re5/6 as those would sell a lot more than a "lets do this RE3 remake again because the last one wasn't good enough".

I also think a dlc to a 3 year old RE game is unrealistic, especially when we already got new Re games after it.

The videogame industry is a business. The actual reception of a game only matters because it often correlates with the sales. By comparison, most Saw movies are received, uh rather lukewarmly. And yet they ran for 7 straight movies, every year, because they were profitable. Same applies here. If game profitable, they will make more and eventually try to recapture the success of game. It's that simple. Reception is always secondary to profit. If game is successful but hardcore fans voice their displeasure, the devs reaction is just gonna be *shrug*.

Yes Resident Evil 5 sold well and Resident Evil 6 also sold well.

Resident Evil 5 wasn't a flop game and didn't kill the brand (RE6's sales would have been affected if the over all reception for Re5 was so bad...). It didn't matter if Capcom didn't have plenty of games at that time... like as if that was even a factor for Resident Evil 5 to sold that amount of copies.

Just say you don't want a Resident Evil 5 remake.

Re5 - 13.5 million
Re6 - 10.9 million

According to an article from March 2023.

Yes Resident Evil 5 sold well and Resident Evil 6 also sold well.

Resident Evil 5 wasn't a flop game and didn't kill the brand (RE6's sales would have been affected if the over all reception for Re5 was so bad...). It didn't matter if Capcom didn't have plenty of games at that time... like as if that was even a factor for Resident Evil 5 to sold that amount of copies.

Just say you don't want a Resident Evil 5 remake.
I believe that much is obvious. To be fair, I was under the impression the sales dip with 6 was far more substantial.

A truthful Resident Evil 3 remake needs serious budgeting like these past remakes. Capcom is probably better off remaking Re5/6 as those would sell a lot more than a "lets do this RE3 remake again because the last one wasn't good enough".

I also think a dlc to a 3 year old RE game is unrealistic, especially when we already got new Re games after it.

This isn't an either/or situation. Capcom release DLCs along with games. They can do an RE3 update and future projects. It wouldn't be 'remake again' either, it would be adding new content into the original campaign like countless games have done before.

DLC to the 3 year old Cyberpunk is one of the big releases this year. Along with a massive overhaul of the base game as well. It's not that unrealistic.

We agree that it isn't very likely, and that more money would come from a new title, but I'm not arguing for what is most likely or profitable. I'm talking about what I think they should do. Capcom have a reputation for excellent remakes and RE3 does not meet that standard. I think they should correct this. Will they? Probably not. Should they? Absolutely they should.

This isn't an either/or situation. Capcom release DLCs along with games. They can do an RE3 update and future projects. It wouldn't be 'remake again' either, it would be adding new content into the original campaign like countless games have done before.

DLC to the 3 year old Cyberpunk is one of the big releases this year. Along with a massive overhaul of the base game as well. It's not that unrealistic.

We agree that it isn't very likely, and that more money would come from a new title, but I'm not arguing for what is most likely or profitable. I'm talking about what I think they should do. Capcom have a reputation for excellent remakes and RE3 does not meet that standard. I think they should correct this. Will they? Probably not. Should they? Absolutely they should.
Honestly do you think they would release a faithful Re3 remake in a form of a DLC for the worst reviewed RE remake recently - over a new game like RE5 remake???

What you are suggesting, would take a lot of money since they omitted a lot of stuff from the original RE3. Its unrealistic. They are probably better off launching a new RE3 remake, than launching it as a paid DLC for a 3 year old remake that wasn't well received as the remake of 2 and 4.

Also Cyberpunk didn't get a Cyberpunk2 before the DLC was released. After Resident Evil 3 Remake, we got Resident Evil Village and Resident Evil 4 Remake... like its not even comparable. Capcom is probably working on a RE5 remake and RE9 as we are speaking right now.

Maybe in the another late 2030s or early 2040s, another remake could happen.

I believe that much is obvious. To be fair, I was under the impression the sales dip with 6 was far more substantial.
10.9 million as of March 2023 isn't that a big of a dip. And Re6 probably didn't sell as much as Re5, most probably because Re6 wasn't good enough, not because Re5 happened.

I don't love both games but those were still commercially successful. I'd like to see remakes that would rehaul those games. If there are any games in RE that needs some major makeover, its those 2.

Also remakes for RE2/4 also sold really well. So whoever only played these RE games recently (in the ps4/5 era) are probably purchasing the other numbered games like 5 and 6 as well. So I would welcome a definitive and much better RE5 and 6. Capcom probably knows what didn't work in those games and if they can drastically redo them and make them a lot better compare to the original, why not? Resident Evil 9 and sequels are still happening inbetween anyway.

I'd
10.9 million as of March 2023 isn't that a big of a dip. And Re6 probably didn't sell as much as Re5, most probably because Re6 wasn't good enough, not because Re5 happened.

I don't love both games but those were still commercially successful. I'd like to see remakes that would rehaul those games. If there are any games in RE that needs some major makeover, its those 2.

Also remakes for RE2/4 also sold really well. So whoever only played these RE games recently (in the ps4/5 era) are probably purchasing the other numbered games like 5 and 6 as well. So I would welcome a definitive and much better RE5 and 6. Capcom probably knows what didn't work in those games and if they can drastically redo them and make them a lot better compare to the original, why not? Resident Evil 9 and sequels are still happening inbetween anyway.
I'd rather get a remake of Code Veronica first. From a narrative standpoint, 5/6 add little to nothing to the canon and were mechanically a joke.

I'd

I'd rather get a remake of Code Veronica first. From a narrative standpoint, 5/6 add little to nothing to the canon and were mechanically a joke.
Well we should have gotten a remake for Code Veronica remake before 4. But it looks like Capcom is ignoring mostly it because it isn't a numbered game (the sales of the original games is a big factor too, of course). After RE3R was released, the general public probably eXpected RE4 to be the follow up which is the case. So now, RE5R is likely neXt. Unless Capcom decided to look back on pre-RE4 games and remake those. But like we've said, RE5 was a big seller. I'd like to see Code Veronica neXt, but realistically, I think Re5 is neXt. Though it could still happen, just like a 2nd remake for Re1 and a remake for Re0.

By early 2030s, I'd like to see this, as the definitive/updated RE timeline:

Resident Evil 7 (2017)
Resident Evil 2 Remake (2018)
Resident Evil 3 Remake (2020)
Resident Evil 8 (2021)
Resident Evil 4 Remake (2023)

Resident Evil 5 Remake (2024)
Resident Evil 9 (2025)
Resident Evil 6 Remake (2026)
Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake (2028)
Resident Evil 10 (2029)
Resident Evil Ø Remake (2031)
Resident Evil 1 Remake (2032)

I think 1 and Ø could be done back to back. 5 and 6 like I've said needs major makeover, I won't mind omitting characters like Jake Wesker. Then throw in Code Veronica somewhere there. These games still sell great anyway, so if Capcom has a plan to remake all pre-RE7 games, I think its possible. It would just take a lot of time. Resident Evil has been around since 1997, it will be around for the neXt 20 years.

Last edited:
To refreshen about Re9, this article came out last July.

Capcom has a mystery game to be revealed this year, it could be RE5. Then in 2024, RE9 will be announced for a 2025 release.

I think the DLC of RE4R (last month) hints strongly we'd see more Wesker in another remake. So I hope we get a new RE game both in 2024 and 2025.

You literally kill Albert Wesker.
From a narrative standpoint: RE5 is the last thing we saw from Jill and Wesker. While Re6 is the last thing we saw from Leon and Ada.

Only Chris came back post RE7. With Ethan finally gone, some of the classic RE characters like Jill, Ada, Claire and Leon should return for a brand new story, either in RE9 or RE10.

I haven't seen Death Island (planning to sometime) but I don't consider the animated films as canon.

In my opinion, the end goal for these remakes is to remake all the Pre-RE7 games in RE Engine. There are still five games left. Capcom could easily do it for the neXt ten years, because what else are they going to release other RE9 and 10 for Resident Evil? Commercially speaking, more remakes are ideal since they sell very well especially when done right (RE2 and RE4).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"