The Avengers The Robert Downey Jr/Iron Man Thread

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
With Iron Man 2 out in only a few short weeks I figure discussion will soon turn to his role in the Avengers. Should he stick with the Mark VI, or should he continue tinkering? Should his major supporting characters (Rhodey, Pepper, Happy) stick to his solo franchise, or do we want to see appearances here? Do we want Stark to be in a leadership position, as it seems likely he will be?

A: I like the Mark VI armor. He should stick with it!

B: I don't mind seeing Pepper, Rhodey or Happy in the avengers.

C: He'll probably share leadership with Cap!

A: A slight mod on the Mk. VI, please. in keeping with his character.

B: If they appear, it should be in very minor roles.

C: A struggle for leadership, with Iron Man ceding control to Cap at the end.

He should have a new armor for Avengers as that's just how Stark is, but only one. Doesn't need to run through a bunch (unless they wanted to introduce Hulkbuster...). As for supporting, they could have cameos or brief appearances but nothing too big. War Machine shouldn't be in at all, unless they show a newscast displaying the chaos Loki's created and have the army fighting minions with WM by their side getting their asses kicked before Avengers come into action.

And even though it may seem Stark will be in the lead, I really doubt it. Marvel's been clear about focusing on the Cap/IM relationship (specifically Feige commenting on their dynamic from start of Avengers to end of Civil War, which to me says there'll be the expected power struggle in the movie). They also seem to be building up to not just Avengers, but CA which looks to be closer to a prequel to Avengers than any of the other movies. With Marvel and Joss Whedon behind this I find it tough to believe they'll push Cap to the sidelines. Even though some people think RDJ will refuse this for some reason. Seriously guys, RDJ has a big ego and that's why I love him, but not in the narcissistic way some who don't seem to get the business think. I read in one thread someone saying that RDJ will probably refuse anything less than top billing. Good lord. Anyways, he definitely should NOT be leader, but definitely have troubles with not being leader at the same time.

So far we have a Hulk in Avengers thread and an Iron Man in Avengers thread, can't wait for Thor and Cap ones when they get their release. Let the individual character discussions begin!

yeah, i expect new armor from Tony in whatever movie he shows up in. i can definately see the Hulkbuster armor showing up eventually. its a possibility War machine will be in the Avengers but thats probably about it. dont be surprised if Furys the one in charge. heres a summary of an interview with Sam i got from CBR. Latino Review and various other sites have a few questions for Samuel L. Jackson regarding Nick Fury. The actor was promoting the upcoming "Movie and Child," but any opportunity to ask about the Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be taken. "Well I started on it when I did the end of 'Iron Man 1.' My foot was on the path. Now my foot's a little deeper on the path with 'Iron Man 2.' I'm not in 'Thor.' Supposed to do 'Captain America' this summer in London," he explained. Asked if there would a Nick Fury solo project, Jackson responded, "'The Avengers' is my own starring vehicle for that character, pretty much." He also expects to begin filming on that next February. Meanwhile, MTV News also took the opportunity to ask about the character:

You just know that RDJ isn't going to settle for anything less with this script. It has to be a damn good script for him to be involved. I can't imagine him just being in it and doing a halfass job for just the check. It would be embarrassing to the film. So it's good Whedon is doing a rewrite.

I really hope Robert Doesn't outshine everyone. I think they should have a reason for him to tone his outlandish personality down for the film, so it could be balanced with everyone else.

Like if you read the Ultimates, Tony thought he was dying, which would make a great element for The Avengers film, if only they didn't put it in Iron Man 2.

Anyway Tony should have a secret or burden that makes him not as hyper and out there as he is in his own films. Of course keep his college boy humor, which is something that'll remind the audience that it's the same Tony Stark from the Iron Man franchise.

I think Whedon will know that when rewriting the script. Hell, if anything he'll give Cap more to do.

I think the most important thing is character portrayal. Stark does act somewhat juvenile but I guess we have to see where the character end up in IM2. That being said, when it's time to get down to business, Downey's Stark can be serious and I think that what ever the threat is in the Avengers movie, Stark may get knocked down a peg and realise that Cap's more strategic solution is the more viable option....and then again, it also depends on how Cap is pulled of in his own movie.

The last 30 seconds of this video is Downey talking about The Avengers

Wow, thanks for that. The way Feige talks about The Avengers got me so super psyched.

“The fun thing about Avengers is the character dynamics and seeing Tony Stark come against somebody like Steve Rogers who they couldn’t be more different. And who is going to give Tony Stark an order at some point in the movie. And I don’t know how Tony Stark’s going to take that necessarily. But I’ll be interested to find out. And Tony…and how is Steve Rogers going to meet the new world and how is he going to feel about the modern age and the modern day. That’s obviously since the early 60’s been one of the great elements of the comic books. How is Tony Stark, who thinks he knows everything about everything, going to react when Nick Fury tells him about the other worlds?”
So they're not scared, Tony WILL be getting orders barked at him. Kudos to them, they know what the **** they're doing.

Thank God! That is the right direction. It's good they know what logical things need to happen to make it work. Oh, now I'm more excited.

So apparently at the end of Iron Man 2, Nick Fury tells Stark that Iron Man is welcome to join the Avengers... but Tony Stark isn't. According to io9, they're saying that means that someone else will be donning the suit in Avengers. Is that possible? To me, Iron Man without Tony Stark isn't the same thing.

No. That is stupid. Robert Downey Jr will be playing Tony Stark/Iron Man in this.

I'm shocked RDJ doesn't even know about Joss Whedon's work. I expected it from Scarlett Johannson, but RDJ, man you need to get with the times.

Anyone have his address? We need to ship him a copy of Serenity, Toy Story and Buffy: The Complete Series pronto.

I definitely want to see a Cap\Tony power struggle of sorts.

It would be good to have supporting cast from each heroes individual films because I think it would be great for personal story arcs from each Avenger. Though the problem is how many and how to balance the crossover of their individual worlds with this group world.

As far as IM2's ending, I thought that either Fury was saying that they could have someone like Rhodey as Iron Man or somehow try and give Stark his secret identity back.

Plus I wouldn't mind seeing a more ambitious suit. Thor seems to be following the current look, I don't see why the Avengers couldn't have the more stylish post-Siege armour. Maybe include a Hulk-buster if he has to take on the Hulk.

fury clearly says iron man is welcome but stark is not. what does that mean?
is RDJ confirmed for iron man?
technically they could have iron man and hulk but not RDJ and ed norton but it will be so much better with them.

But Iron Man 2 is set before TIH, and in that latter movie Stark seems to be clearly on board with the Avengers. I don't think the status quo in IM2 should be taken as set in stone, especially since a previous movie (TIH) tells us the status quo is otherwise.

fury clearly says iron man is welcome but stark is not. what does that mean?
is RDJ confirmed for iron man?
technically they could have iron man and hulk but not RDJ and ed norton but it will be so much better with them.

He says he wants Stark in an advisory capacity, so he will definitely be involved.

I took what Fury said as that Shield wants Iron Man the hero to help them when there's danger but they don't Tony Stark and his immature behavior around their headquarters.

I forsee something like this: The Avengers are something that will need PR, having a playboy like Stark there isn't going to help. Instead, they have Rhodey be in it while Stark is forced to be sort of a "Q" type advisor and such. He is less than thrilled but plays along. Then, halfway through the movie, when things are getting rough--- say, the Abomination (or something) is about to smash Rhodey or Ultron is about to rip the Scarlet Witch in two or something like that, Stark says "screw this!" and flys in to help. Of course, since this is Whedon we are talking about, I'm gonna guess he then would refer to himself as a Big Damn Hero.

I'm shocked RDJ doesn't even know about Joss Whedon's work. I expected it from Scarlett Johannson, but RDJ, man you need to get with the times.

Anyone have his address? We need to ship him a copy of Serenity, Toy Story and Buffy: The Complete Series pronto.

It doesn't surprise me considering that Whedon's most well known works BUFFY and ANGEL, mostly appealed(initially anyway) to a much younger demographic. If anything given her age if they'd asked Scarlett and she said she wasn't familiar I'd be genuinely shocked.

I expect an interesting approach on Iron Man in "Avengers". I also like the direction, which RDJ jokingly suggested during an MTV interview, when he was asked about the leader of the team: "I'll clown all of them. I'll just clown those fools."

Though, I do think, that Tony Stark and Thor should become really good friends, like in Ultimates v1. It would be different and great + Tony and Thor (in Ultimates) had a lot in common. With Steve Rogers (Captain America) and Stark I expect more of a rivalry/leadership thing, in terms of team's methods and tactics. Though, Tony's father and he admired Cap in the past.

My choice of villain for this movie would be Ultron. I understand, that bringing Loki and Hulk into the picture can become a modern approach on Avengers v1 #1, but I don't want to see Hulk as an enemy. And Loki... Loki just doesn't fits there (the only reason is - that he was the one who assembled the whole team together).

Regarding the new armor. I think, that Iron Man should use one or two models throughout the movie, because we already have two armored warriors - Iron Man and War Machine. MKVII needs to be sleeker and faster + more weaponary. The armor up sequence should be like the Mark V one in "Iron Man 2", but this time it should look even more better and more badass.

The repulsor rays, in my humble opinion, should have a chance of changing the colour into green repulsors of Kurt Busiek/Sean Chen's Iron Man v3 period. Here's my example (armor/logos werent' created by me - I just putted all of them together and changed the colours of the repulsors) of how it would look in the movie:

So, post your opinions here. It would be good enough to discuss another take on the character itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"