The Runaways Thread - Part 1

Sorry if there is already a thread for Runaways but I did a search and didn't find anything.

I've got to say that this has to be one of the best things Marvel are currently releasing. The artwork and dialogue in issue 18 during a certain characters death was amazing.

The character of Victor has really grown on me and while Molly was mainly just annoying during season one she has become quite an enjoyable character to read now.

I'm not a fan of Karolina though, shes always striked me as quite a dull character. Plus her boyfriend/girlfriend/thing Xavin seems like a bit of a weak character aswell. Although his relationship with Victor is quite interesting.

The most interesting character for me has to be Nico. She seems to be carrying around a lot of guilt and I can't wait to see why this is.

Any other Runaways fans around?

So is Runaways dead? This 're-tooling' has taken like three years lol.

I miss Nico and Victor and the gang. It would have been cool if they'd turned up in some other titles even if Runaways isn't coming back anytime soon.

Are we going to have to wait for a movie to happen for any chance of seeing their return?

They seem to be brought up at every con, so it's not like Marvel doesn't know that there's some demand out there. There seems to be a different answer each time, though, but still all boil down to they're trying to see how they'll work with all the different ideas being tossed around.

I caught up on RUNAWAYS when its second volume was announced, reading the prior 18 issues via the cheaply priced digests (which sold so well that it revived the series). To me, the Runaways were best when they were written by their creator, Brian K. Vaughan, and drawn by the co-creator, Adrian Alphona. There were some fill in art issues (such as by Mike Norton), but by and large the Vaughan/Alphona issues were gold. After they called it a run, I stuck around for the Joss Whedon/Mike Ryan issues, which took, if memory serves, 14 months to ship 6 issues. That was when I called it quits. According to sales, I wasn't alone.

RUNAWAYS is an important franchise in a way. Both Marvel and DC, by and large, heavily rely on franchises made from the late 1930's to the 1970's. RUNAWAYS is one of few that Marvel made from scratch after the year 2000 that garnered any acclaim and lasting power. Thus, I understand some hesitancy to just relaunch it for the heck of it, and to wait until they have a premise that is solid, and enough demand.

Marvel Studios wants to make it a film franchise, but it might work better on TV.

Yeah, whenever it seems to get brought up at conventions, it seems to get a bigger response from fans to turn it into a tv series instead of a film franchise. Which makes more sense to me. There's too much that developed over time with these characters that you need a slow build to, that you can't always get with films alone.

Yeah, whenever it seems to get brought up at conventions, it seems to get a bigger response from fans to turn it into a tv series instead of a film franchise. Which makes more sense to me. There's too much that developed over time with these characters that you need a slow build to, that you can't always get with films alone.

Right.

To be honest, the only thing in RUNAWAYS that might test a TV series budget would be Old Lace the dinosaur and the Gibborum. However, Old Lace didn't show up immediately in the comics, so the pilot episode might be able to go without the dino. The Gibborum would often show up as an epic cameo, not as regular characters on panel. The rest of the special effects and costumes could be do-able so long as the budget is on par with a Joss Whedon show or a STAR TREK incarnation.

The Frogger might also be a problem for a TV budget, depending.

The temptation is to turn it into a HARRY POTTER style film franchise to make more moolah, of course. Marvel Studios knows they can't milk Iron Man and the Avengers forever.

Another problem with movies? Casting kids and getting the movies done quick enough that they won't grow too noticeably in between. With a tv show, you can at least watch the kids grow and it will be more believable, instead of seeing a movie one year, and then go to the sequel three years later but it's only supposed to be set a few months after the last, but the kids are VERY noticeably older. Especially with Molly. She's right on that edge where in normal time, she'd be starting to sprout like a weed, and it would be very hard to make her look the same between films.

This is something interesting. In a video interview at CBR, Nick Spencer was asked if he could possibly be interested in doing Runaways after fans asked Breevort about it in his weekly Q&A column on the site, and Spencer said he'd would have a hard time turning it down if he was approached for it.

After reading the first trade of his Morning Glories comic, I can say that I would LOVE for Spencer to take on this book. He totally could get the voices for the characters.

He's also an admitted Gert fan, for anyone wondering.

The question would be if Spencer would write it for more than 3 issues, which seems to be his limit for Marvel comic runs lately.

Cebulski took the very frequent question about the status of a "Runaways" series, saying that for now all the plans for the team are individual character plans rather than a new team book. "It's a matter of the right writer coming up with the right pitch with the right artist...'Runaways' is one of those cases where they were running away from something, and that story ran its course." When a creator can find a new direction for the team, a new series will likely emerge.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=33439

:(

I guess no new stories are better than bad ones...like that crappy Whedon arc we got. Clara was the only good thing to come from that time traveling snoozefest.

So...the team is being broken up without being broken up.

I was a huge fan of RUNAWAYS, and I have recommended the trades of the Brian K. Vaughan/Adrian Alphona run online many times. It's 42 issues of excellence. The dilemma is that it was a series that perfectly straddled the line between being an indie and being a part of the Marvel Universe, and I don't know how another writer could properly match that. Joss Whedon gave it a try as vigorous as any fanboy, but committed about the same sins as many writers on Fan-Fiction.net, right down to a "Mary Sue" (Klara). After that I figured I'd rather abandon the book than watch it go downhill.

I'm not certain splitting up the characters and having them appear in other books does much for them beyond some recognition. The Runaways are great characters when they're rubbing off each other, but apart, their archetypes stand out more than they should. On the X-Men, Molly is just another super-strong new mutant. Next to Dr. Strange or Brother Voodoo, Nico is just another female mage with a gimmick, who shouldn't be confused with DC's Zatanna, who also is a female mage with a gimmick and fishnets somewhere. Chase is still in a coma I think. Victor opens up a decent Ultron story possibility, but what then?

The other issue is the Runaways characters aren't interested in proper, adult superheroes and usually only fought to protect themselves, atone for their parents in California or take out some villains who either attacked them or they stumbled upon (like Topher the vampire). They're supposed to be an edgy indie band and having them just tag team with Iron Man or Wolverine makes them seem too mainstream. That was why their meetings with the Young Avengers were interesting. The YA were the team who wanted to imitate the adults, and the Runaways didn't. I don't think having the latter lose that individuality for the sake of having one of them appear on a cover with Giant-Man is really essential.

But, it's all about sales.

It seems our favorite team is guest starring in a Wolverine book. The dark one.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/n...solicits/marvelcomics/201111/DAKEN017_cov.jpg
DAKEN: DARK WOLVERINE #17
Written by ROB WILLIAMS
Penciled by MATTEO BUFFAGNI
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
"PRIDE COMES BEFORE IT" PART 2
GUEST-STARRING THE RUNAWAYS! Daken's Hollywood empire has been ripped to pieces and, with his healing factor still damaged, he's desperate and running for his life. The Pride appears to have returned to Los Angeles, but who’s gotten the band back together?
32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99

Last edited:
If nothing else, it's good to see lucy in the sky. Her glow is so pretty.

I don't really care since I don't read that comic. I've been languishing in a Camuncoli-less world for some time now (other than the Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt covers). :csad:

It's actually been really solid since Rob Williams took over.

That's cool. But I have less than zero interest in the character or picking up any new comics that don't floor me with hints of potential awesomeness.

I wouldn't classify it as potential awesomeness but he's def a rising star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"