The Wolverine The Stealth Express of Doom News & Discussion Thread: - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely regret reading that Mirror review :csad: . Hell of a spoiler in it and tossed in without any thought. Good to see the generally positive reviews and reactions.

I definitely regret reading that Mirror review :csad: . Hell of a spoiler in it and tossed in without any thought. Good to see the generally positive reviews and reactions.
Can you tell me what the spoiler is about? Not what the spoiler is, but what it pertains to? Like is it about the Silver Samurai, the actual villain, etc

Positive reactions for Jackman's performance.
As we've come to expect from him, Hugh Jackman delivers the goods with another physical, gruff and empathetic performance as the adamantine mutant. He's also made a great effort in the gym, as the 44-year-old's chiseled abs featured in the film's promotional material seem to be the real deal. Throughout the franchise, Jackman has done the best he could with what he was given but The Wolverine offers him his meatiest role yet and he has no trouble balancing the character's tough exterior and inner existential anguish, always with a little room for some throwaway one-liners.
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/07/review-the-wolverine-aims-high-but-falls-just-short.html

A good quote from the scifinow.co.uk review above:

Like one of its stupendously choreographed fight scenes, The Wolverine manages the delicate balance of respect for the source and the convention of the genre, big top sensation, and an unlikely, heart-wrenching emotional punch.

This is from the one posted at Rotten Tomatoes:

All in, The Wolverine is a refreshingly good entry in the X-Men franchise that completely wipes out the nasty taste Origins: Wolverine left. In fact, it might very well be the best of the bunch. Mangold’s never been more suited to a project, getting to be gritty, intelligent and fun all at the same time, and that translates into a movie that for the very first time, genuinely feels like an X-Men comic on screen. As good as a Wolverine movie was ever going to get.
http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/the-wolverine-review/?utm_campaign=news

Last edited:
Good last paragraph:

It hasn't got the swagger of the Iron Man films or the densely layered story of the Dark Knight movies, but it's at least getting part of the way towards being that good. Wolverine's versatility as a character is one of his biggest strengths, and in The Wolverine, we finally have an on-screen demonstration of what that actually means. For all its loftier ambitions, the best gift The Wolverine gives is a simple one: that you'll leave the cinema wanting to see more of the character. And that's, straight away, a vast improvement over the last standalone Wolverine outing...

www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-wolverine/26444/the-wolverine-review#ixzz2ZHf7MiVz

yay, reviews finally.

i was going to see it regardless, but it's nice to check RT and finally see something lol.

Glad the film seems to be received okay. It sounds better than Origins and the Last Stand, which is all it needed to do...

Mixed reviews so far, but hoping for the best.

It would be interesting if all the 'meh' X-Men movies end up being the ones Hugh Jackman produced. Although I suppose another way of looking at it would be all the movies Bryan Singer wasn't involved with fail to deliver.

Last edited:
Even the more negative reviews leave me wanting to see film.Some of negativity seems to be that the wolverine Isn't In lightness of the avengers or the realstic
very serious of the Dark Knight trilogy

It seems jean Is simply In multiple dreams.I thought so.It appears that the ultimate villain of film Is Viper.Even If the silver samurai In all his glory Is just a robot that Is still better than what was done to the mandarian In Iron Man 3.I am very curious to see how harada fits In final film and relationship with others.They are mentioning him as anti-hero and mention a unrequired love.it's going to be kind of icky If he Is In love with Mariko his half sister and fights wolverine because of jealousy

It defently seems this Is better than Origins and last Stand.even If RT score Is only say 70 percent fresh that Is better than say the 57 percent last Stand got,which by the way Is almost the score man of steel has,and the 38 percent origins has.It would be lower than Iron Man 3's score but would be a good score for it especilly consering the comments some have made on the wolverine leading up to release.

There has been good words said about the actresses playing Mariko and Yukio It seems the critics think the actress playing viper Is weak link but just Imagine the bad reviews If Jessica Biel would have played Viper.

Last edited:
Even the more negative reviews leave me wanting to see film.Some of negativity seems to be that the wolverine Isn't In lightness of the avengers or the realstic
very serious of the Dark Knight trilogy

It seems jean Is simply In multiple dreams.I thought so.It appears that the ultimate villain of film Is Viper.Even If the silver samurai In all his glory Is just a robot that Is still better than what was done to the mandarian In Iron Man 3.I am very curious to see how harada fits In final film and relationship with others.They are mentioning him as anti-hero and mention a unrequired love.it's going to be kind of icky If he Is In love with Mariko his half sister and fights wolverine because of jealousy

It defently seems this Is better than Origins and last Stand.even If RT score Is only say 70 percent fresh that Is better than say the 57 percent last Stand got,which by the way Is almost the score man of steel has,and the 38 percent origins has.It would be lower than Iron Man 3's score but would be a good score for it especilly consering the comments some have made on the wolverine leading up to release.

There has been good words said about the actresses playing Mariko and Yukio It seems the critics think the actress playing viper Is weak link but just Imagine the bad reviews If Jessica Biel would have played Viper.

Yeah I think even the negative reviews don't seem that bad, certainly not as bad as Last Stand or Origins. I'm guessing overall it'll be fairly mixed. Which is, with a few exceptions, fairly typical for even a good CBM. It does seem like the final act might be a bit weak though, a few reviewers are picking up on that. I'm looking forward to seeing it and making up my own mind now!

In terms of what you brought up in the spoiler tags:

The Mirror review suggests that Silver Samurai is definitely not just a robot but isn't who you would expect, which is what Mangold hinted at a while ago.

Last edited:
One review mentioned thinking more was done with Yukio and Harada than what was done with Black Widow and hawkeye to the point you should be kinda disappointed marvel has rights to them.

Reviews also hint James mangold like Matthew vaugh was influenced a bit
by James Bond films
In particularly You Only Live Twice and Diamonds are forever.There has been a hint Shingen meets his end not in battle with wolverine but In a YOLT like Pool

as for the SS
James Mangold has defently mentioned some twists and turns for the film.Harada not being one In SS control doesn't surprise me.If Viper Is one controling the SS that wouldn't surprise me one bit.If you liked Iron Man 3 you really can't complain about their take on SS and liking what IM3 did to the mandarian

Reviews seem to think
the third act Is where things go down some.It's being called even by Hugh Jackman only a quote comic book film during last act

It seems like even though the wolverine Is much better than Oriigns or last Stand the best X-Men films remain those made by Bryan Singer(X-Men,X2,first Class) although maybe fans of X-Men films and GA will like this film more than
Critics.

Sounds like there's some slight issues with the third act...

I can't say I'm not disappointed at how these first reviews are turning up, especially from how positivity was starting to seep into this film in the last month.

It would be weird though if UNLIKE MOS, this film starts out with mostly mixed reviews only to recover and get excellent reviews.

Sounds like there's some slight issues with the third act...

We won't really know that until we see it for ourselves. After MoS and Iron man 3 this year I don't trust critics in the slightest. Hell I haven't trusted them for a long time, but I adored MoS and hated Iron 3. I love Wolverine almost as much as I love Batman so Im sure I will have no problems with this. Good to hear that there isn't a scathing review yet, like there was for x3 and origins. thats always a plus.

Keep in mind, First class did have a great initial run of reviews, but it had its fair share of bad ones too! and Thats one of the finest comic book movies ever IMO. If wolvie ends up with a 70's range score, were looking at a damn fine movie. One that we can be proud to own and discuss as a comic book classic. We don't want this kind of movie to appeal to everyone, so anything above a 90% is probably a bad thing lol.

I tend not to put much stock in early/leaked reviews. They tend to be very different from what the general consensus ultimately turns out to be, so I'm going to wait for reviews closer to the actual release.

We won't really know that until we see it for ourselves. After MoS and Iron man 3 this year I don't trust critics in the slightest. Hell I haven't trusted them for a long time, but I adored MoS and hated Iron 3. I love Wolverine almost as much as I love Batman so Im sure I will have no problems with this. Good to hear that there isn't a scathing review yet, like there was for x3 and origins. thats always a plus.

Keep in mind, First class did have a great initial run of reviews, but it had its fair share of bad ones too! and Thats one of the finest comic book movies ever IMO.

I see we're not gonna agree on anything. LOL :oldrazz:

I just hope the movie ends up with fresh rating on RT, though that didnt stop me from watching and loving MOS. I will be going to see this anyway but the reviews seem a bit underwhelming. At least it seems better than X3 and Origins which is the least they should have aimed for.

This has been film I have been waiting to see.I was disappointed by Iron Man 3,
Star Trek,and man of steel.

Hugh Jackman meanwhile has let it slip about post credit scene
It involves preview for DOFP
so It seems what some have been
hoping for with post credit scene will turn out to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"