The Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'The Suicide Squad' started by psylockolussus, Aug 5, 2021.

?

Worldwide gross?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2021.
  1. Below 250 million

70.0%
  2. 250 to 300 million

30.0%
  3. 300 to 350 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 350 to 400 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 400 to 450 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Above 450 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Yeah, even if they had just called it “James Gunn’s Suicide Squad,” it might have made people realize it was something new. For example, just slapping Zack Snyder’s name in front of Justice League caused some fans to hail it as the greatest cinematic achievement of all time months before they even saw the film, lol.

2. Comicbookguy339 Registered

The marketing budget was apparently 100M so 285M altogether. This movie will maybe make around 150-200M worldwide with 50% going to the studio meaning that WB loses between 185 and 210M with this film.

#102 Comicbookguy339, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  3. kguillou Registered

Welp, there goes that franchise. Hey, at least we have this movie guys and Gunn gave us a GOOD Suicide Squad movie to go out on. (granted, I do genuinely enjoy the 2016 one :funny:)

4. Dr. From parts unknown

Well, whatever HBO Max paid (for the rights) gets added to the plus column.

5. DlAMONDZ Registered

The franchise can still live on streaming

It's deader than dead theatrically though. Same goes for Harley. Whatever juice WB thinks she has, she clearly doesn't

6. BaelaTargaryen Registered

‘Suicide Squad’ HBO Max Viewership Down From ‘Mortal Kombat’, Samba TV Says – Deadline

7. kguillou Registered

Its sad because this couldve been a HUGE franchise for them. Theres so much you can do with Suicide Squad. And a big part of it is on Ayer for tainting the brand in the first place. Back in 2016 people were HUNGRY for this franchise, and they blew it. Gunn came in too late unfortunately.

8. MaceB Registered

If we don't know what the viewership is on HBO Max, then we really don't know how successful it is or isn't, IMO.

I think this shows that audiences are not willing to go back to theaters. Frankly... they may never be willing to come back in the same numbers. For me, 2020 changed me - I loved the theater, but...frankly... I think it's outdated. Why would I want to go out, book a ticket, buy expensive food, and be surrounded by people for 2 hours? I've crossed over. Streaming is the future. It's a far superior viewing experience.

The question, for me, is how well are the streaming numbers... and the new HBO Max subscribers, in combination with box office. I'm afraid that WB and Disney will look at the recent situation, and see it as a sign that streaming kills box office, and therefor should be resisted. I hope that they're not seeing it that way, but instead seeing this as a confirmation that the audiences are moving towards streaming and away from theaters.

9. P Supreme Registered

Its crazy to me tbis got less viewers than MK while I agree that IP is a gold mine WB has no clue what to do with
    Tbis movie was 100x better than that cole young movie

KaijuDude1992 and Deck Rickard like this.
  10. MurkeNyou Registered

Anyone talking about "box office" for any recent movie, while we have a raging pandemic STILL ongoing, is smoking some harsh reefer.

Word of mouth and people still being theater hesitant, leads to HBO tracking demographics.

11. P Supreme Registered

very harsh coughing up storm harsh lol

12. kguillou Registered

I dont know, look, I loved the movie like a lot of you but looking at the movie objectively, I’m not sure this would’ve performed too much better pre-covid. I think this movie is essentially the Scott Pilgrim of the 2020’s. A crazy, comic booky movie that is just too comic booky and niche for general audiences:

Deck Rickard likes this.
  13. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Yeah, that very well could be it. Also, looking at it objectively, Gunn might have been wiser to include a couple more team members who had actual superpowers. The core team had only King Shark and Polka-Dot Man, and in the case of the latter, it wasn’t clear that he had powers in the marketing. Because most of the members of both the A and B teams are people with fairly rudimentary weapons who are good at hitting targets. There’s nothing wrong with that but given how fantastical powers are a mainstay in superhero movies these days, it might have been better to include a few more characters with abilities that would make a casual fan say, “Whoa! That looks awesome. I need to see that!”

14. Ultra Nolanite Registered

Shame, I hope this doesn't put the final nail in the coffin for more Suicide Squad movies. On the one hand the idea of crooks having to do missions for the US government for less jail time sells itself. On the other hand any Suicide Squad film would only benefit from being part of a cinematic universe where they're introduced as villains.

They wouldn't even need to be the main villain in that movie. You could have an opening sequence like in the Bond movies where the hero first deals with the ending of some other mission, puts away the bad guy (which is sent to Belle Reve) after which the movie can be about whatever.

Just an idea. I'm just surprised because the idea of Suicide Squad sounds almost foolproof to me and should be able to get a huge casual fanbase. It also doesn't need an R-rating.

15. kguillou Registered

Gunn needed a few more main character draws to bring people in. I GET what he was doing. He intentionally used D-listers so that they were expendable and no one would care but this needed some more star power.

16. Moncton Registered

What is sad is that this shows just how weak the DC brand is, in fact, for most of the general audience it's not even a brand.

17. Predator jp blast from the past

i'm sure we are gonna get another SS movie.

18. Holy Slapper Registered

HBO (and Max) is WB owned...

MurkeNyou likes this.
  19. Dr. From parts unknown

Yes; ultimately it’s all Warner Media. But for accounting purposes, the sub-divisions would be treated as separate. After all, WB (movie division) financed The Suicide Squad. So HBO Max can’t just claim ownership and reap the revenues. Some “fair market value” would have to be paid by one division to the other.

super85 likes this.
  20. SomeOldGuy Registered

21. Micromind Registered

Jungle Cruise had bigger budget ($200 mil.) compared to The Suicide Squad ($185 mil.)

22. Jordanstine Registered

BO forecasts are predicting about $9.1m weekend from TSS.

23. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

It also seems to be doing better at the box office. What's the deal with TSS's daily box office numbers? I don't see anything on Box Office Mojo or anywhere else after the weekend.

24. SomeOldGuy Registered

25. SomeOldGuy Registered

WB hasn’t been giving daily numbers for any of its movies.