The Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation

Forgive me for being a Debbie downer but I’ll take these early reactions with a grain of salt until the actual reviews come out. I remember the first film had mostly positive early social media reactions before it was ultimately panned when more critics saw the film.

Forgive me for being a Debbie downer but I’ll take these early reactions with a grain of salt until the actual reviews come out. I remember the first film had mostly positive early social media reactions before it was ultimately panned when more critics saw the film.

The social media embargo for both SS and BVS were very restrictive (mostly fans only at first and very close to release). Different story here with it being lifted way before the release date.

Social media reactions dont mean much as a whole as they are more controlled but it is a different case here compared to back then. Still its worth talking about.

I think that’s certainly the plan. He’ll shoot his GotG stuff, maybe chill for a minute, then do whatever he & Robbie were apparently discussing a while back, or whatever else he maybe into.

He basically said he is more interested in DC stuff at this point outside GOTG 3. (Quote was posted in the Batman thread)

When is the embargo lifted?

Last edited:
Not surprised to hear that Gunn delivered the goods. WB should let him to whatever he wants with DC moving forward, it’s a no brainer at this point.
To be fair, it kind of seems like they already are. I mean, they greenlit the Peacemaker series almost a full year before anyone would even see this movie.

Loving these positive reviews! I knew Gunn would deliver and I can totally see him sticking around DC for a while now

Got my tickets and I can't wait until August 5th!

To be fair, it kind of seems like they already are. I mean, they greenlit the Peacemaker series almost a full year before anyone would even see this movie.
You’re right, I guess what I was trying to say is I hope he chooses to do bigger projects with DC after this, because I could totally see him being like: “thanks for offering me the next Justice League movie, but I really want to do a Matter Eater Lad movie next.”

200.gif

www.slashfilm.com/the-suicide-squad-details-qa

The Suicide Squad isn’t quite the movie that you’re expecting. Oh, sure, James Gunn’s latest superhero blockbuster is as funny, violent, cynical, and chaotic as its red-band trailer indicates. But it’s not just a bloody good time. Amid all of the mayhem, there are moments of genuine emotion. Many of the action scenes are harrowing, not comedic. Gunn plays the biggest character beats completely straight, infusing The Suicide Squad with both tragedy and heart.

“This movie really was about just making the biggest, most entertaining film I possibly could,” Gunn said during a post-screening Q&A, just before admitting he was “trying to take risks with a spectacle film.” The result is unique among big-budget superhero movies. Structurally, The Suicide Squad zigs when you think it’s going to zag. Thematically, it doesn’t shy away from hard questions. Its scope is both massive and intensely personal, and while its characters are funny, they’re never treated like jokes.

You’re right, I guess what I was trying to say is I hope he chooses to do bigger projects with DC after this, because I could totally see him being like: “thanks for offering me the next Justice League movie, but I really want to do a Matter Eater Lad movie next.”

I would see that movie ;)

He seems to thrive when he has a genuine love of the characters so who in the DCU does he seem to have affinity for? That is the question WB should be asking.

Hypothetical scenario, consider same movie but now we haven't got Ayer's SS movie and Gunn hasn't directed any Gotg movies.

Would people (and Critics) react the same way as they are reacting now if this was the first Suicide Squad movie but Gunn without any experience of earlier 2 MCU films.

I think, and obviously I have no evidence to back this up obviously, but I bet it probably would still be liked since it seems in line with both what the Suicide Squad is (which the Nerd Press and fans would applaud) and because it is sort of a throwback to films like The Dorty Dozen. (Mainstream Press would like)

It will get a higher score (if these reactions are an indication of what is coming) in this situation because Gunn has equity but I think this is the type of film the Press and fans wanted out of Ayers film and was never going to get.

It will get a higher score (if these reactions are an indication of what is coming) in this situation because Gunn has equity but I think this is the type of film the Press and fans wanted out of Ayers film and was never going to get.
Yeah, Gunn's success with earlier GoTG films helps a lot, that experience might have helped him while making this film. Plus, Ayer's SS film did some heavy lifting when it comes to introduction of main TSS characters (Amanda Waller, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang and Rick Flag) People liked those characters, familiarity with characters also helps the movie even if it's soft-reboot.

Also, while the first movie wasn't great, but it wasn't outright hated (unlike some fans think) it did have fans and got an Academy award and was financially successful, so while the bar is low but there's some residual goodwill there.

Some are labeling this the best of the DCEU. So good to hear such high praise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"